Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight light knob

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 AM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Pelican has the Eruo light level adjustment switch but what else do you need to make it work? Electric servo motors in the headlight housing? I know kind of a dumb question.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:34 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Why in gods name would you want this lit up?? Dont you know where your headlight switch is?? Try this - put your hand down near where the key is - grab **** and turn

Who wants more light shining inside their car?? I know someone will say well its how it was built but anytime I can decrease the lights inside except for the ones that are telling me something useful, i would do it
Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 PM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An interesting question. I don't like bright lights glaring at me from the dash as it distracts. I drove my Targa around for 4 years without that switch/bulb illuminated and I never had a problem laying my hand on it. Course, now this thread has illuminated me to it's presence I had to do the fix :-)
With the bulb in and driving at night it doesn't glare as it's actually quite dim and the steering wheel obscures it anyway. On balance I prefer the bulb working as it looks neat, more cosmetic than functional from my perspective. Oh and yes, I like things to work like they did when the car came out of the factory, I hate it when stuff is not maintained.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Why in gods name would you want this lit up?? Dont you know where your headlight switch is?? Try this - put your hand down near where the key is - grab **** and turn

Who wants more light shining inside their car?? I know someone will say well its how it was built but anytime I can decrease the lights inside except for the ones that are telling me something useful, i would do it
Agreed.

Although I do wish my key illuminator light was still working. That light goes off when its job is done. I enjoyed it while it lasted...
Old 01-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

This thread inspired me. I replaced the burnt out bulb in my ashtray and the light over the ignition switch.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha, I can't believe I missed this thread! Thanks CADguy for directing it to me. I killed the bulb last fall when I was at a gas station and carelessly reached for the light switch and pulled the **** completely off, thinking it was the gas door release ****. Yeah, I know, I felt REALLY stupid.

I'm gonna make this my winter project for my car. Wish me luck. I hope I don't have to take it to the dealership...jk
Old 02-11-2010, 12:13 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 256 Posts

And what's with the door lock switch illuminating red when the doors are locked? Wouldn't it make more sense being lite when the doors are unlocked as a warning and a reminder to lock them? I wonder what it would take to reverse this?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sanyata
And what's with the door lock switch illuminating red when the doors are locked? Wouldn't it make more sense being lite when the doors are unlocked as a warning and a reminder to lock them? I wonder what it would take to reverse this?
I think it intended more as a deterrent for would be thieves, letting them know the car is alarmed. Same with BMW's, Infinity's ect.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I think it intended more as a deterrent for would be thieves, letting them know the car is alarmed. Same with BMW's, Infinity's ect.
The flashing lite on the top of the door panels alerts thieves. I'm talking about the lite in the rocker switch on the center console.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sanyata
The flashing lite on the top of the door panels alerts thieves. I'm talking about the lite in the rocker switch on the center console.
Jeez, don't think I ever noticed it. Now something else for me to worry about. The light on my light switch wasn't working, I knew it should be but didn't mess with it. After this thread I decided I should replace the bulb. Replaced the bulb and it still doesn't work, Now I have to look into the lock switch light too? I'm never going to get around to replacing the flywheel.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
Hahaha, I can't believe I missed this thread! Thanks CADguy for directing it to me. I killed the bulb last fall when I was at a gas station and carelessly reached for the light switch and pulled the **** completely off, thinking it was the gas door release ****. Yeah, I know, I felt REALLY stupid.

I'm gonna make this my winter project for my car. Wish me luck. I hope I don't have to take it to the dealership...jk
You shouldn't have "killed" it just by pulling the **** off. It's ok to pull the **** off, the bulb stays in the rotary switch. You pull the bulb out to replace it.

I wouldn't feel too stupid, some cars turn on the lights with a pull switch, just not a 993

Just remember, take the bulb out and bring it with you to the auto parts store to make sure you get the correct replacement (it's 1.2W).

Good luck
Old 02-12-2010, 01:41 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Agreed.

Although I do wish my key illuminator light was still working. That light goes off when its job is done. I enjoyed it while it lasted...
At least you had one...my 1996 doesn't have one and on a dark night that is a bitch. I could care less about the light in the headlight **** (although I want everything working for the sake of it working) from a functionality standpoint, but having a light over the ignition would be very very useful.

I wonder if I could retrofit that?

Ed, is it hard to replace the bulb in yours? Just curious why you haven't fixed it...
Old 02-12-2010, 01:27 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Or one could carry a mini LED on his key chain.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Originally Posted by CADguy
You shouldn't have "killed" it just by pulling the **** off. It's ok to pull the **** off, the bulb stays in the rotary switch. You pull the bulb out to replace it.

I wouldn't feel too stupid, some cars turn on the lights with a pull switch, just not a 993
But the light stopped working when I put the **** back on, and it has been intermittent ever since. And okay, maybe I should say that I feel careless, since in a rush, I reached for the wrong **** without looking or feeling where I was placing my hand.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

I hate to bring this thing alive again, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the bulb back in. I can't see position indents. Do I just push really hard? Sorry if I sound dumb...Der der!

Quick Reply: headlight light knob