Sponsored by:

www.panamera.com

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:22 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tincanman99
I find it amusing that Porsche is trying to tie their heritage into this sedan. This car has about as much in common with a 993 as a Yugo. Its laughable at best and shows how far they have fallen from what they were.

This atrocity goes hand in hand with the Cayenne.
heritage ??

what is that .. ???????
new porsche managment give a sh*** the heritage ...
Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Listen, you all need to back off! The Camry, er, Panamera, is one of the finest cars made by BMW, er Mercedes, er, Toyota. Oops, I mean Porsche.

Sorry, I get confused sometimes. Maybe because now there really is no difference between Porsche and any other mass-production car company.

Hey, if selling the Cobalt allows Chevy to still build the Corvette I'm all for it. Damn! I meant, if selling the Cayennamera allows Porsche to sell the waaay overpriced GT3 RS, I'm all for it!

Go Toyota, er, Porsche!
Hahahahaha ... !!!!!!!!1 this is good .. !!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:09 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover

So, for a differing, yet somehow familiar view, how 'bout Bugatti's $900k Galibier 16C???

You know, at quick glance, you would almost believe that car looks a little bit like a Panamera....I said just a little...but Bugatti and Porsche are 2 totally different companies and, well, what kind of heritage does Bugatti have?
Old 10-24-2009, 03:45 PM
M491
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
Its sad to see people missing the total point of the Panamera and what it means to the future of the company.
So, what exactly does the Panamera mean to the future of VW's Porsche division?
Old 10-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Brings in a whole different demographic of clients who never considered the brand, rounds out the entire brand lineup. The potential that Porsche stays a part of VW does not have an effect on the current marketing plans or model lineup. That’s just my opinion neither of us are privy to the business plans of Porsche or VW.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by M491
A potential to be the Porsche version of the Phaeton?
How much was invested in development and tooling for this vehicle?
How many other 'non Porsche' models will share the unibody?
How many Panameras need to be sold to recoup the investment and continued operation of the line?

At least the Cayenne was "shared" with the Touareg...or perhaps the other way 'round....which over it's run since 2003 has probably returned a profit.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

That’s just my opinion neither of us are privy to the business plans of Porsche or VW.
There might be some RL members who actually might have a small glimpse into the future.
Consider how long it takes from conception/approval to product release for a modern Porsche....3-4 years?
So, in that time, there are many components that need to be designed, or used in common with other platforms from other VAG units.
Therefore, a person involved with this part of the business would perhaps see what the product lineup would look like, in addition to knowing when current models (modules) are to be phased out.

Hypothetically speaking of course.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:46 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Listen, you all need to back off! The Camry, er, Panamera, is one of the finest cars made by BMW, er Mercedes, er, Toyota. Oops, I mean Porsche.

Sorry, I get confused sometimes. Maybe because now there really is no difference between Porsche and any other mass-production car company.

Hey, if selling the Cobalt allows Chevy to still build the Corvette I'm all for it. Damn! I meant, if selling the Cayennamera allows Porsche to sell the waaay overpriced GT3 RS, I'm all for it!

Go Toyota, er, Porsche!
Have you driven one?

I got to drive one in August and I was impressed with it. The fit and finish are superior than the Lexus. It has a personality where Japanese cars have no soul. Plus it does look better in person than the pics.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:56 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Have you driven one?

I got to drive one in August and I was impressed with it. The fit and finish are superior than the Lexus. It has a personality where Japanese cars have no soul. Plus it does look better in person than the pics.
Yes, and it IS quite a car. Personally, I don't think the level of fit and finish are worth more than the $75K premium one would pay over the Lexus.

If I want a $150,000 4-door anytime soon, my money's on the Rapide or maybe the Karma.

It may have tons of personality, but ugly girls usually do
Old 10-24-2009, 07:36 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

By judging by the pictures both have lots of personality. And with the Karma hairy legs and arm pits as well.

While not as ugly as the BMW X6 or 5 Series all I can say personality, lots of personality.
Attached Images   
Old 10-24-2009, 08:28 PM
M491
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brings in a whole different demographic of clients who never considered the brand, rounds out the entire brand lineup. The potential that Porsche stays a part of VW does not have an effect on the current marketing plans or model lineup. That’s just my opinion neither of us are privy to the business plans of Porsche or VW.
"Brings in a whole different demographic of clients who never considered the brand, rounds out the entire brand lineup." So what? What good - specifically - does that do for the company? A pickup truck would do the same (pickups are the biggest selling vehicle in Porsche's largest market). Should that be next?

"The potential that Porsche stays a part of VW does not have an effect on the current marketing plans or model lineup." Of course not. The current lineup was put into play well before it was even realistically imaginable that Porsche was going to become a division of VW.

Still trying to figure out why you think the Panamera is so important to the future of Porsche. The only relevance I see for the Panamera is that if it is wildly successful, that makes it that much LESS likely that VW would ever divest itself of its successful Porsche division.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:04 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Question

Autocar.co.uk's "How Porsche will double sales"
Volkswagen boss Martin Winterkorn has outlined the new models he hopes will double Porsche's sales in the next four years.

He added that this was a realistic target thanks to new models, which could include a new model smaller than the Boxster, its smallest car so far, a "little brother" to the Cayenne and an additional version of the new Panamera.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by curve lover
Well, at least it's better looking than the Panamera sedan...and estate wagons are popular....I'll bet it's also available with a diesel engine.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:29 AM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M491
The new CEO was quoted as saying the Panamera will be built during its seven year production cycle.
Who knows after that.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I understand your points and sales talk which coming from you is very understandable but let's just say I'd agree 100% with all those points and wanted Porsche to build 4 door sedan etc. etc.

But, and this is a huge BUT, why on Earth it has to be so friggin' uuuugggllyyyy?!

What's the "good" in that?

Had they built the Panamera and it looked like that Aston Martin someone posted earlier, I'd be very ok with it but when they build a car, that in 1st place I don't agree Porsche should build, and then go ahead and make it one of the ugliest 4 doors out there (including all the crappy cheapos), it's VERY difficult to defend or justify.

Quick Reply: www.panamera.com