Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

www.panamera.com

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on my way back from the airport here in Atlanta and saw a BIG unusual looking car up ahead. Pulled up next to it and it was a Panamera. There was a minivan in front of it with the rear hatch open and a film crew inside with a professional camera. I hung around for a bit watching them film the car and waved to the driver and the van occupants before they took and exit.
Didn't think much more about it till I watch a Speedvision test drive of the Panamera. What do I see a glimpse of behind the Panamera? A much better looking Red 993 Carrera S!
Guess I have experienced my 5 seconds of fame!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how my eye moved from the Panamera to yours. Nice going!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:18 PM
M491
Racer

Originally Posted by race911
Who here remembers going into a dealer circa 1992-4? Think that business model could still exist?
We were in a recession at that time, AND, importantly, Porsche had a really crap lineup at that time. The renamed 944, the aging and dead in the water 928, and the 911/964. That was the weakest lineup, probably ever, for Porsche.

With the intro of the 993 and the Boxster in the mid-90s, yeah, Porsche could have survived with that business model. It is that very business model that made them the MOST PROFITABLE AUTO MAKER in the world.

But, of course, ultimately Porsche didn't survive, anyways. A big part was deviating from that business model - i.e., the business model of being the best independent maker of sports cars in the world. There was nothing wrong with that business model at all, it worked extremely well for over 50 years and could have continued to work.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by M491
We were in a recession at that time, AND, importantly, Porsche had a really crap lineup at that time. The renamed 944, the aging and dead in the water 928, and the 911/964. That was the weakest lineup, probably ever, for Porsche.
It wasn't a renamed 944. It was the 968, a car that Harm Lagaay called 'the most beautiful car he ever designed'. Fantastic handling, handbuilt quality, a fantastic engine. Great cars.

With the intro of the 993 and the Boxster in the mid-90s, yeah, Porsche could have survived with that business model. It is that very business model that made them the MOST PROFITABLE AUTO MAKER in the world.
And they were the most profitable auto maker in the world by making money in the financial sector.
And where exactly is the most profitable auto maker in the world today?

ut, of course, ultimately Porsche didn't survive, anyways. A big part was deviating from that business model - i.e., the business model of being the best independent maker of sports cars in the world. There was nothing wrong with that business model at all, it worked extremely well for over 50 years and could have continued to work.
No, it ended up where it is today simply due to the unbridled ego of the evil Dr. W.
The business model under Dr W was very different than the Porsche business model.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by Reynard38
Didn't think much more about it till I watch a Speedvision test drive of the Panamera. What do I see a glimpse of behind the Panamera? A much better looking Red 993 Carrera S!
Guess I have experienced my 5 seconds of fame!
Your car was the only noteworthy moment in that otherwise disingenuous hour-long commercial.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:56 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Boca Porsche
Have you guys seen this website? Its awesome, it gives your Porsche' history, lineage, videos, and interviews and downloads. You can even upload your car and your own Porsche story. I haven’t seen it mentioned on here and I thought it was something fellow enthusiasts and owners would be interested. in.
BP-- Directly related, JDHertz' September thread, "Trying to capitalize on OUR heritage."

Very passionate responses there (& here).
Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'll go with the precedent that Porsche has established with me, which is, if you want me to work for you, it's gonna cost you dearly. I don't know what the labor rate is at Beverly Hiils Porsche, but that's a good starting number for how much I'd charge to give them free publicity/advertising/testimonials on their site.

Porsche never gives their customers a break, so I'll gladly return the favor. But I'm sure they'll get plenty of folks to shill for them for free.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:33 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tincanman99
I find it amusing that Porsche is trying to tie their heritage into this sedan. This car has about as much in common with a 993 as a Yugo. Its laughable at best and shows how far they have fallen from what they were.

This atrocity goes hand in hand with the Cayenne.
exactly what I was thinking when I saw them off loading these things as i was driving by the dealer today.

someone else also stated in another thread that porsche knows they have a problem on their hands when they have to link this thing to their heritage.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Your car was the only noteworthy moment in that otherwise disingenuous hour-long commercial.
Thanks. I was not very impressed with the looks of the car. I have seen one up close and the interior is very nice, but that's it.
I'm not about to go spend 120K on a car as if I can't pay cash I don't buy it, but if I was dropping serious coin on a 4 door uber sedan it would be a M5. I don't like the Bangle-butt either, but the sound of that V10 is ear sex!
Porsche does not make anything that would make me give up my 993.

Last edited by Reynard38; 10-21-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default what should demo driver say?

Old 10-21-2009, 10:53 PM
M491
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
It wasn't a renamed 944. It was the 968, a car that Harm Lagaay called 'the most beautiful car he ever designed'. Fantastic handling, handbuilt quality, a fantastic engine. Great cars.

And they were the most profitable auto maker in the world by making money in the financial sector.
And where exactly is the most profitable auto maker in the world today?

No, it ended up where it is today simply due to the unbridled ego of the evil Dr. W.
The business model under Dr W was very different than the Porsche business model.
The 968 was a flop, just like all of their cars in 92-94. An oversized 4 banger simply has no place in an expensive porsche, even in the mid '90s. Sorry. The market says 4 cylinders belong in entry level Hondas, and they are right. A 4 cylinder hatchback Porsche was ok in 1983, it was unacceptable in 1993.

Dealings in the financial sector in the late 90s wasn't what made them the most profitable car company in the world. A good lineup of focused sports cars did.

We agree on the last point. It was their deviation from their traditional business model that did them in, like I said.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by curve lover
I couldn't get my golf clubs in my 911, but with my Panamera, I get 2 bags in the back seats, and 4 dead strippers in the hatchback.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:28 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Went to our local PCA dinner meeting last nite...Dealer brought a Panamera. Fortunately, they came late so we saw it afterwards, otherwise it would have required a ZANTAC or equivalent to have stomached food. $153K for something that reminded me of a pimp-mobile, white interior, luxo-cruiser with an over-the-top sound system which tried to divert your attention from its ugliness...a Lexus-like car that costs twice as much. Yuk! Surely Dr. Porsche must be spinning in his grave.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Does this car make my butt look big?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:57 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

"The All-New 2010 911 Carrera Rosie O'Donnell Edition. Huge, ugly and with a giant ***."
Old 10-22-2009, 08:52 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Went to our local PCA dinner meeting last nite...Dealer brought a Panamera. Fortunately, they came late so we saw it afterwards, otherwise it would have required a ZANTAC or equivalent to have stomached food. $153K for something that reminded me of a pimp-mobile, white interior, luxo-cruiser with an over-the-top sound system which tried to divert your attention from its ugliness...a Lexus-like car that costs twice as much. Yuk! Surely Dr. Porsche must be spinning in his grave.
yuck!

Quick Reply: www.panamera.com