Sponsored by:

www.panamera.com

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:49 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
If i could afford to get one you can be sure i'd have a Panamera!
Save a few more pennies and get the 4-door car Porsche should've made.

The Panamera is an ugly FAIL. Compare that bloated, overpriced cow to this upcoming beauty: The Aston Martin Rapide.

Now THAT's how you do a 4-door high performace luxury car.
Attached Images   
Old 10-23-2009, 03:33 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
Cue the old grumpy guy voice..." The 356 was the last real Porsche ever made..that new 911 will be the downfall of the company".....

If i could afford to get one you can be sure i'd have a Panamera!
You can afford one. Just sell your old Merrill Lynch car.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Save a few more pennies and get the 4-door car Porsche should've made.

The Panamera is an ugly FAIL. Compare that bloated, overpriced cow to this upcoming beauty: The Aston Martin Rapide.

Now THAT's how you do a 4-door high performace luxury car.
You're so sure it will fail? Where do you get your info from?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
It would be interesting to get a Porsche dealer/salesperson perspective, don't you think?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltc
It would be interesting to get a Porsche dealer/salesperson perspective, don't you think?

For those who dont know me. After 20 years of being a professional options trader and having seats on several different exchanges I sold my business in 2008. I took about 6 months off and then on my wife's suggestion that I actually go out and go to work again rather than playing with my then 2 year old son all day, I decided to try some thing I had always wanted to do. Sell Porsches. I had owned, bought, sold, restored, tracked, a couple of dozen 911's and a handful of other car and so for the past 12 months I have been selling Porsches.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:19 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

No, I didn't say it would fail. I said it's an ugly FAIL!

C'mon, you hafta admit that the Aston Martin Rapide is the Panamera done better....
Old 10-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Trader220
Race Car

I have not driven the Aston so I dont have an opinion. I will say that the Pana when not optioned with Air suspension and 20's does not look nearly as nice as it does with those options. The 20's really fill out the wheel wells better and when the air suspension is parked and the car is low it looks great. I am looking at an S with both those options now in Carbon Gray and its a stunning car. When I see and drive the Asotn I can comment further. Whats the Aston pricing like?
Old 10-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a Panamera Turbo at a recent concours. Had a chance to sit in it, kick the tires, push the buttons, honk the horn...
Regardless of how much time one wants to waste questioning why it exists at all, I thought it was pretty damn stunning in the flesh.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:12 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Whats the Aston pricing like?
About $30K more than a well optioned Panamera Turbo. But on looks alone, I'd spend the extra $30K over the Panamera Turbo.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by helmet155
Too bad Porsche didn't cease operations when the 993 production stopped, that way you nay sayers would be happy.

It's survival and market share, why buy an E or S class or 5 or 7 series when you could have a Panamera?

Same thing for the Cayenne...

I bet more market studies were done on the profitability of the Panamera than have been done on a 911.

911 - iconic.

Panamera/Cayenne/Coxster/Boxster - Money makers.

Market studies. Probably true. But bear in mind that those hypothetical market studies were the stock in trade of Dr. W, who dreamed of controlling VW and who brought VW the Phaeton, no doubt after a multitude of similar market studies. Dr. W. is now history, but he didn't leave before investing so much money in the Panamera that VW had no choice but to put it into production - into an already crowded market for 75 year old wannabes.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:04 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in Florida
Dr. W, who dreamed of controlling VW and who brought VW the Phaeton
Uh........am I misreading this? The Phateon was Piech's deal.

Anyway, isn't it funny that those who passionately dislike the car can't just sit on the sidelines and let the market dictate what's going to happen? I don't particularly like it; but I have no use for a large sedan, so what do I care? Just that maybe someone I know might be in that market, and I can give my thoughts.

You know, plenty of people don't get 911's of any vintage/flavor either. How many times has each of us gotten the "I could have (insert cheap *** car name), put on (a couple thou in mods) and go kill your overpriced Bug". Thankfully, over 30 years now it's less common.

In your eyes, if the criteria for a sedan is what that Aston is then go buy it. I don't see Aston sales being more than a fraction of Porsche's, let alone Toyota (Lexus). So maybe that's not the defining criteria. Dare I suggest that each of us isn't married to the hottest of the hottest of the hottest women......

Respect the individual for making their choice in (what's left of) a free market?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:40 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
Uh........am I misreading this? The Phateon was Piech's deal.

Anyway, isn't it funny that those who passionately dislike the car can't just sit on the sidelines and let the market dictate what's going to happen? I don't particularly like it; but I have no use for a large sedan, so what do I care? Just that maybe someone I know might be in that market, and I can give my thoughts.

You know, plenty of people don't get 911's of any vintage/flavor either. How many times has each of us gotten the "I could have (insert cheap *** car name), put on (a couple thou in mods) and go kill your overpriced Bug". Thankfully, over 30 years now it's less common.

In your eyes, if the criteria for a sedan is what that Aston is then go buy it. I don't see Aston sales being more than a fraction of Porsche's, let alone Toyota (Lexus). So maybe that's not the defining criteria. Dare I suggest that each of us isn't married to the hottest of the hottest of the hottest women......

Respect the individual for making their choice in (what's left of) a free market?
Actually, posting opinions on these cars on a car chat bulletin board is the definition of sitting on the sidelines! The market will dictate what it does, regardless. That's why there's no harm in exchanging differing points of view and opinions .

Everyone here is entitled to make what ever choice they want regarding these cars. And every one is also free to share their opinion about that choice.

Yup, the Rapide's sales will be a fraction of the Panamera's. Then again, I imagine Picasso sales are a fraction of the guy who paints oils and sells them on Venice Beach in July!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:56 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Feelings about the Panamera aside, that website is pretty slick....
Old 10-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Four door Porsche and performance discussions aside...

It's amazing that a new American car company can design a car that looks like this...

Have you sat in the back seat of a Karma....? I did at Laguna Seca & it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Yes, it looks STUNNING, but....
Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Kudos to all for their vastly differnent views & insights.
I dig GoofballD's ability to keep it real with pix, quips, captions, & well-grounded words: "That's why there's no harm in exchanging differing points of view and opinions."

For those whose point of view is all about the view:
I'm secretly fuming that he & Louis J beat me to posting pix of Aston's Rapide & Fisker's Karma.

So, for a differing, yet somehow familiar view, how 'bout Bugatti's $900k Galibier 16C???

Quick Reply: www.panamera.com