Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just realized that this is the longest I've ever owned a car-6.5 years (my 993). You?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 442 Posts
Default Just realized that this is the longest I've ever owned a car-6.5 years (my 993). You?

I owned a Maxima once for 5 years, that felt like a long time. Leased my next Maxima but it was only for 2 years - I was glad to turn it in. I had various BMW's, all owned less than 6 years. One of them, the government actually took away (long story). I had a Datsun 240Z for a couple years till rust was all that was left! Had some Volvo's (1 died on the way home from buying it used - a 1971, it was sold "as is", and couldn't be repaired!).

I owned my first 911 for 5 years only.

Sold it to get my 993. It kind of blew me away today to realize that it's the longest owned car I've ever had. The time has really flown by. It's not like you could EVER get tired of this car! At least for most of us, we don't tire of it. If not for ever present financial worries, (still haven't found the right new sales job yet, though an opportunity has just presented itself which might work out) I would never sell it. I might be forced to part with it soon to help pay our mortgage down, but that day is still not here so I'm enjoying the heck out it still.

Six and half glorious years later, the love affair is stronger than when I first bought it. I went to a huge party today at a friends house and noticed another friend there I hadn't seen in a while. He came up to me beaming from ear to ear. He pulled a new keychain out of his pocket and it was attached to a BMW symbol instead of his Honda Accord keychain. I was blown away and happy for him. He said he had just gone out and bought a 2009 528i X-Drive (what ever that is!), black on black. He had mentioned in the past that he'd love to be able to buy his dream car, a BMW one day, knowing I have an older one, he felt I could relate. After the party I took a look at it and got a bit jealous. It had temp tags on it, was spanking new and clean, had a stunning interior, this cool "X-Drive" logo on the side, and must have been expensive. He'd been looking for a job too for 3 full months and finally scored one about 6 months ago after sending out 300 resumes!

I was feeling super happy for my friend but a little, immaturely jealous of his new aquistion ... till I walked all the way back to my 993. It was freshly cleaned, sittiing there on the side of a beautiful tree lined street. I started it back up, took off, and all was well with the world again. These cars are like anti-depressants. I was feeling a bit down, but the 45 minute, thrilling drive home brought me out of my funk.

I'll probably own my current BMW for many more than 6.5 years (till I total it, I'm sure - I love it that much), but for now, my 993 is still my longest owned vehicle.

How about you? Which vehicle have you owned the longest? And, have you owned your 993 ALOT longer than you thought you would?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:47 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts
Talking

These cars are like anti-depressants. I was feeling a bit down, but the 45 minute, thrilling drive home brought me out of my funk.
Amen to that

How about you? Which vehicle have you owned the longest? And, have you owned your 993 ALOT longer than you thought you would?
I owned a 1969 GTO for ten years and i thought i would keep it forever. I have owned my 993TT since decemebr 2005 and still l0ove it as the first day ibought it honestly i don't think i will ever part with it i think of it asd a family herloom kinda like the patek phillipe watch i inherited from my grandfather i guess you never really owne a 993 but rather take care of it for the next generation. Now Don't get me started on the 930 now
Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 217 Posts

I am also at 6 1/2 years with the 993. The longest was a 1989 Toyota pick-up; 13 years and 210,000 miles and no problems.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:28 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

Longest Robert or I owned a car was 12 years and that was our first 911 (1974, done up just right ) that we got together. I think you always have your first Porsche the longest. I'd love to be able to see that car again.

As for the Non Porsche's the longest either one of us held on to a car was me. I had my '78 Camero (POS) for 8 years. Got rid of it by letting my ex husband have it in the divorce settlement. I took our new Accord and the payments to go with it just to get rid of that wretched Camero! He deserved it anyway.

The Camero. A whole couple of weeks old and already in the shop for a new fuel pump and other various fixes. Please excuse the Dolphin shorts. What were we thinking????
Old 07-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've owned my 993 for about 8 years.
My FIAT 600 for about 13 years.
My KTM enduro bike for about 20 years.
And my other FIAT 600 that I got from my grandfather for almost 30 years (it was sitting in a barn) but I sold her last summer... Plan is to buy the little 600 back now that the guy who bought it has restored it!

I'm not one of those that own vechiles for short time!
Old 07-25-2009, 11:45 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Great photo ... very few of us remember the dofin shorts fad for the late 70's/ early 80's .... my wife loved them ..
http://www.inthe80s.com/clothes/dolfinshorts0.shtml
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2009, 12:02 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always count on *someone* to still be waving the Dolfin flag ;-)
http://bit.ly/78bQn
Old 07-26-2009, 12:06 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

For me the two longest (at about five years each so far) have been the 930 and 993. I expect the 993 to go a lot longer yet!!
Old 07-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
I had my '78 Camero (POS) for 8 years. Got rid of it by letting my ex husband have it in the divorce settlement. I took our new Accord and the payments to go with it just to get rid of that wretched Camero! He deserved it anyway.
My very first car was a 1975 Camaro. I wanted that car so badly for a couple of years. The coolest guy I knew, had one at summer camp. I lusted after it. He drove it with one hand most of the time, his left hand, while his right hand rested on the center console. He was my "cool guy idol". It was a light blue Camaro with blue interior.

I dreamed about owning one. When I went to the lot with my dad, I pointed a red one out and asked if I could get it. It was $2500, more money than I had ever seen. I never thought he would go for it. He finally said, "ok" and my heart lept. I paid for part, he paid for part, and it was mine. I immediately drove it over to my best friend's house to show it off. I was 16 years old. He came outside, looked under the hood and starting laughing at me. Apparantly I had bought the lowly 6 cyl instead of the manly 8 cyl that most tough guys, jocks, and cool dudes had. I didn't even think to ask while I was at the dealer about what size engine it had.

Oh well... I still loved that underpowered car.

Great replies, folks. Thx for posting them.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:11 AM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Steve - good to see you posting - I had my 993 for almost 7 years and it is the longest I have owned a car also. How is your garage floor holding up - as I recall you put done the paint treatment a few months ago. Any problems etc?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:37 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S

............Apparantly I had bought the lowly 6 cyl instead of the manly 8 cyl that most tough guys, jocks, and cool dudes had. I didn't even think to ask while I was at the dealer about what size engine it had.

Oh well... I still loved that underpowered car.

Great replies, folks. Thx for posting them.
Mine was an 8 cyl. and it still sucked. The interior trim didn't fit together at all, it would get vapor lock on hot days and leave me stranded in intersections, but it was my car and I bought it brand new and at the age of 18 secured my own car loan and paid for it all by myself. My Dad didn't want me to buy a new car at all, so when it turn into a minor lemon, and a major headache, I had to do everything myself. That is how I really got into cars. THANKS DAD!!!

I knew the Dolpin shorts would bring back some memories for some of us oldsters
Old 07-26-2009, 01:34 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

My 993 is also the longest I've owned a car- 5.5 years. The previous record has always been 3.5 years..that seems to be the longest I could live with a car (a Saab 900s, Acura Integra, E36 M3 and E39 540i6 all hit this mark). I've never once thought of selling the 993. I'd love to add a 996 GT3 to the stable, but it would have to be an addition!
Old 07-26-2009, 03:07 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Let's see, 7 years from my 911SC, and over 7 for the 993...damn coming up to 15 years of continous P-car ownership.....

The 993 is about the longest right now, other than some family vehicles (pickups..) that I have held for over 10 years..
Old 07-26-2009, 03:37 AM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I have owned my 1995 993 for almost 14 1/2 years- it's the gift that keeps giving! Still waiting for it to arrive from the states-to here in Sweden-after the 6th of August it should be on the road-miss having fun after turning the key!
Old 07-26-2009, 04:46 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A photograph of my '82 911SC, I had the car restoratively repainted (All doors removed, jambs done) and reassembled with new seals throughout, base color plus five coats of clear, thinking that I would keep it for a long, long time. Ten years later I decide that maybe I should get something that would have greater appreciation and eventually get the 993 which I've owned for almost two years now.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Just realized that this is the longest I've ever owned a car-6.5 years (my 993). You?