Car Stolen from Glendale, CA

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:13 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by travanx
Just got off the phone with insurance. Looks like my mods won't be covered. Which gives me a minor heart attack with how much that is. I have 7-14 days to have it taken care of, if the car isn't found it's considered gone. She said the 7-14 days can be even less and at this point the car is considered gone.

To top this off, my friend who lives like 6 blocks away had someone pounding on his door telling him someone was trying to steal his car (A new Audi A4) around 10am this morning. And the guy just took off after saying it. The police over there mentioned car crimes are pretty huge right now in this area.

I live in the foothill near some celebrities and stuff. So I dunno what to make of this.
I'm in Glendale too - what area are you in? You've got me worried now! GL with working everything out.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:29 AM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the North portion near Hoover. I am done, I don't care. It's obvious how things work to me now.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Warpig
Pro

I am in the North portion near Hoover. I am done, I don't care. It's obvious how things work to me now.
I know exactly how you feel. On August 7th last year my place was broken into and the crooks made off with $8000 worth of my favorite electronics. The crime tech came out... took pictures... Lifted finger prints and then told me it would take a year to get the finger print results back. I checked with my neighbors a couple days after and they all said that a detective never came to their door and asked them if they saw anything. I found a neighbor myself who did see something odd and called the police department and chewed them out for just letting this slide... They were happy just writing their report and letting my insurance company take care of the rest. The evening of the day I chewed them out there were finally two detectives questioning my neighbors. I still have found out nothing on the status of my case to this day...

Nick
Old 07-10-2009, 01:35 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Chuck W (aka Superman) may still have some pull with the coppers near Glendale. I expect he's on a real (non-web access) well-deserved vacation, or he would have weighed in or PMed by now....
Old 07-10-2009, 01:44 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I was robbed at home. Luckily the oceanside police department caught the crooks a few weeks later. Turned out to be 4-5 teenagers with walkie talkies. They posted a guy at each entrance of the neighborhood and was radioing back to the guys in the house. They would alert the dude in the house if the owner was coming home or if they needed to abort their mission.

Anyway, I talked to the detectives and basically came to the realization that if they want it they will take it. I deployed the best security for not alot of money - I installed cameras - some are working, others just are powered up around the perimeter of my house. I have one positioned right at anyones face at the front door and at the keypad/entrance to the garage. Decals on windows and doors indicating that 24 hr CCTV is ON. At night, you can see the glow of IR LEDs on them.

Im convinced that the teenagers would have hit someone else with cameras in place. The houses are just too easy to break into and too many easy targets elsewhere. My car is locked, alarmed in the garage, keys for all the vehicles are secured in a place that would take a while to find. I never store my garage openers in cars that spend the night outside.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:54 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Truly sorry to hear about this! I have had TWO cars stolen (not Porsches though..but it doesn't matter, it's the personal violation that occurs) and my bike that I had to ride to school was also stolen the very next day !!! so I know how this feels...it's when I truly understood I was capable of gravely harming another human. The first car was stripped to the bones, the second...CHP found it, missing it's seats and stereo. I got it back, repaired, and drove it another 16 years.

There is a special place in hell for Insurance companies. I know people who work in them, and they have told me flat out, it is an "institutional policy" to pay out as little as possible. Therefore, you play effin' hardball with them when it comes to settling. Bone up on the law (there must be insurance atty's in this community who can offer advice) and run their @ss up the walls.

Do not make a decision about what to get next at this emotional low point. When my first car was stolen (RX7) I considered getting something that would not be a "target" for low lifes. However, after I settled down, I decided I would NEVER let some POS ******, dictate what I drove or any other part of my life. I purchased another RX7, and six months later THAT one was stolen too! I was crushed, but was still resolute in my determination not to let some piece of rotting baboon $hit control what I drove.

The life lesson here is, it is usually the one time freeking time where you don't DO what you normally do (park in garage, set the alarm, fasten seat belt,...whatever) when disaster strikes. Quote from instructor in Law Enforcement training:

"Listen up!! The ONE time you think the individual in the car you just pulled over is not a threat, is when THAT person tries to KILL you. NEVER, EVER let your guard down."

That is a life lesson I continue to heed, because it's application is broad.

Hang tough, and make the insurance company pay you a fair settlement, and you go get yourself another 993. The feeling this will bring will be as "high" a high as "low" the low you feel now. You've got a lot of support here on RL. All the best.

Last edited by FLYT993; 07-10-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

PM me if you want...I'm going through negotiations for a total.

FWIW... Insurance companies MUST do whatever is in the best interest of you the client. They will low ball you on the value based upon KBB/NADA, etc. Ask them to replace the car with an identical one at they value they give you and you'll be happy. You'll have a check for what it's truly worth the next day.
What exactly are you talking about? That sounds like I'm being snide...not meant to...just curious. If the insurance thinks they are giving you reasonable value, that is your best interest. They are not in business to make me feel good unfortunately. I have been telling them, fine, go find a car like mine for that price and I'll buy it. They quote mileage, methodologies, and do what is the best way to limit the $ they are paying, in what I'm dealing with now.

My $4k JIC suspension is $650 according to them, as an example.

Trouble is in my case is finding true comps. I had an AMAZINGLY beautiful, cared for, maintained 993 cab, BUT 130k miles. Tough to find a comp for that...so you get into pissing contests over how they are adjusting cars with less mileage to a value that could compare to mine.

FWIW, my initial round of negotiations has resulted in a 40% increase in their initial lowball offer, btw. The maintenance did nothing for the value, but did convince them that the car is not a typical 130k car, so they added value in, just not specfically for the mods.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:19 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I come back to this thread hoping to hear that the car's been found, etc. etc. but no. It seems to me that insurance companies are quick to write up a policy, take your premiums, and then give you a hard time about payment.

Also VERY much appreciate Fly's comment about "never let your guard down." I used to live in Germany when the Badder Meinhof gang was out in full force,--and also was in a new 911S in those days. I ALWAYS had an 'out' for myself when in traffic,--and frequently carried a .45 auto. Think like a thief. And be prepared for anything.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 AM
mbackhand
Instructor

That is horrible. I would have been out there with this :
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

I hope they find the people who stole your car. Then I'd like to see those people put in a room with all of us. That would be justice! Jerks. Want a Porsche? Get a job and earn it like the rest of us. I really, REALLY hope they find the creeps that took your baby from you. They deserve to rot in hell.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
I hope they find the people who stole your car. Then I'd like to see those people put in a room with all of us. That would be justice! Jerks. Want a Porsche? Get a job and earn it like the rest of us. I really, REALLY hope they find the creeps that took your baby from you. They deserve to rot in hell.
It's sort of sad, because many of these creeps end up back in prison. I think once you're committed to "the life," it's hard to go straight, especially since no one wants to hire convicted felons. What else do you expect them to do? What are the staggering stats for CA? I think 2% of our population is locked up and we spend 10 times as much on prisons as we do on schools. My numbers are probably off, but you get the idea. I think the Brits had it right with the Australia idea. Has to be cheaper than traditional prisons....sorry for the partial hijack.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
I think Chuck W (aka Superman) may still have some pull with the coppers near Glendale. I expect he's on a real (non-web access) well-deserved vacation, or he would have weighed in or PMed by now....
Just found this thread. Wow. Good call Chuck, I was at the bottom of the Grand Canyon on a mule with the wife. Great time.

I am afraid I can be no help here. Auto theft and property crimes in general are difficult to solve. To make matters more difficult, a Porsche car thief is much harder to catch than one who steals a Honda. Most cars that are stolen are taken for a joy ride or transportation. They are dumped and recovered. A Porsche or similar car is stolen for a reason; parts, VIN switch or export.

I pulled up some numbers. Glendale borders on N/E portion of Los Angeles. It has a population of 207,000. In 2007 they had 520 cars stolen with a total of 3676 property crimes reported. In 2008 they had 502 cars stolen with a total of 4103 property crimes.

Los Angeles has a population of 4,000,010. In 2007 LA had 23,258 cars stolen with a total of 98,652 property crimes. In 2008 LA had 22,218 stolen cars with a total of 100,717 property crimes.

Due to the high number of property crimes and the limited resources of police departments, little resources are dedicated to solving them. Even violent crimes often do not get the attention they deserve. Then, give the case to a less than motivated detective and there is a poor chance for any progress.

If I were the victim of this type of crime, or any other property crime, I would do just what some have done; knock on my neighbor’s doors and ask them if they saw anything. Gather information and pass it on to the detective handling the case. Then, follow up calls to the detective.

It would seem to me there is more to this one than just a random auto theft. The 993 was targeted. Only a professional could defeat the immobilizer without a key. One of the rare times the 993 is left outside it’s stolen. I doubt that the thieves just stumbled on the car and stole it.

Keep us posted and good luck.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:52 PM
travanx
Pro

No word on anything. I still have my key with me in case I do happen to see the car somewhere. I am slowly realizing more and more little things I had in the car which are of value to me which sucks, one is one of my notebooks for business meetings, ugh.

The more I also think about the situation I am glad I didn't have a weapon next to my bed and went chasing after them. Since I am sure if I took them all out, then their crew would come back to the house.

Chuck W., not sure what you do, but any comments on odds of the car appearing again? I am still trying to figure out where cameras will be going.

One of the worst parts about this, is that I work from home with windows facing the driveway and street. I guess the situation only makes me stronger.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Warpig
Pro

No word on anything. I still have my key with me in case I do happen to see the car somewhere. I am slowly realizing more and more little things I had in the car which are of value to me which sucks, one is one of my notebooks for business meetings, ugh.

The more I also think about the situation I am glad I didn't have a weapon next to my bed and went chasing after them. Since I am sure if I took them all out, then their crew would come back to the house.

Chuck W., not sure what you do, but any comments on odds of the car appearing again? I am still trying to figure out where cameras will be going.

One of the worst parts about this, is that I work from home with windows facing the driveway and street. I guess the situation only makes me stronger.
You have a PM.

Nick
Old 07-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

PM sent.

Quick Reply: Car Stolen from Glendale, CA