Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Stolen from Glendale, CA

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 PM
targagr
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I HAD THE EXACT THING HAPPEN TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!
i know exactly how u feel.i had a 964turbo.bought it on a friday and got stolen on saturday!!!right out of my driveway and saw it go through my bathroom window.i ran out and "chased" it for 2 blocks!! called 911 but nothing.
i feel for u.real sorry to hear that.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so sorry to hear this...it sucks. You are getting good advice here about dealing with the insurance company...Rennlist and the members here rock!!! Thanks guys for chiming in...I hope I never need the help you all are providing but I know if I do it is there.

I live in the foothill near some celebrities and stuff. So I dunno what to make of this.
It sounds like the economy is driving the low lifes to where the money is...
Old 07-08-2009, 10:55 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Sorry for the loss and aggrevation. Btw, I believe PCA has an Insurance Advisor for just this sort of situation. They can assist with a fair evaluation.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for your loss. You must feel quite violated.

Based on my experience working in the insurance industry, you should know that everything is negotiable - don't get pushed into an unfair settlement.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This is absolutely terrible news!! Unfortunately, it is clear that you were being watched and with a lot of patience, they picked that rare time when you left the car outside. (It's just weird to think that someone was WATCHING your specific address for sometime). With all the crime going on these days the "system" will simply pay you off and send you on your way. There will be little effort on the part of "law enforcement" to local it.

I hope for the best. Demands your rights.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:15 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

So sorry ... we all empathise, but it temporarily sucks to be you :-) Hang in there and keep us posted on what's next ... best wishes,
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crap! Sorry to hear this.

The lady that hit me had Mercury and I can tell you that it was the single most painful dealing with any company I've ever had. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear but be prepared. While I understand they are in the business to make money and pay out as little as possible, as everyone has said, don't take the initial offer if it isn't what you want or think is fair. I would also do a lot of research on the mods being covered. The rep I dealt with refused to call me back or answer her phone. I had to go up the chain about 9 times before she would call me back.

I can tell you that I will be calling my insurance company first thing tomorrow to find out if my mods/updates/replacement parts would be covered.

Good luck with the process, I hope everything turns out to at least an equal state!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 469 Posts

Really sorry to hear of your loss. Some people "work" very hard at being criminals. Too bad they couldn't put that energy into positive things.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:12 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 427 Posts

FWIW... Insurance companies MUST do whatever is in the best interest of you the client. They will low ball you on the value based upon KBB/NADA, etc. Ask them to replace the car with an identical one at they value they give you and you'll be happy. You'll have a check for what it's truly worth the next day.

A number of years ago I had a fire in my house where a closet full of suits got ruined. They wanted to give me approximately $500 for each suit as they depreciated them. I informed them that the suits were in perfect condition and would run $4000/ea to replace and they'd have to pay for my transportation/accomodations to London to get them fited and that I am quite familar with insurance law and that they have to do what is in my best interest. I had a check for the full amount the next day. Give them nothing and take everything from them.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OMG!!!!!!!!!! Just logged on!
Sorry for your loss!

My girlfriend is gonna end up getting her best wish: I am going to sleep in mine!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:33 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am quite familar with insurance law and that they have to do what is in my best interest.
I think those laws vary by state so it may pay to do a bit of homework before you dive in. Often times it's worthwhile calling the state Insurance Comissioner's office and asking what your rights are. I've done that a couple of times and found them very helpful. Knowledge is power.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:12 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
Crap! Sorry to hear this.

The lady that hit me had Mercury and I can tell you that it was the single most painful dealing with any company I've ever had. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear but be prepared. While I understand they are in the business to make money and pay out as little as possible, as everyone has said, don't take the initial offer if it isn't what you want or think is fair. I would also do a lot of research on the mods being covered. The rep I dealt with refused to call me back or answer her phone. I had to go up the chain about 9 times before she would call me back.

I can tell you that I will be calling my insurance company first thing tomorrow to find out if my mods/updates/replacement parts would be covered.

Good luck with the process, I hope everything turns out to at least an equal state!
Originally Posted by fast_freddy
FWIW... Insurance companies MUST do whatever is in the best interest of you the client. They will low ball you on the value based upon KBB/NADA, etc. Ask them to replace the car with an identical one at they value they give you and you'll be happy. You'll have a check for what it's truly worth the next day.

A number of years ago I had a fire in my house where a closet full of suits got ruined. They wanted to give me approximately $500 for each suit as they depreciated them. I informed them that the suits were in perfect condition and would run $4000/ea to replace and they'd have to pay for my transportation/accomodations to London to get them fited and that I am quite familar with insurance law and that they have to do what is in my best interest. I had a check for the full amount the next day. Give them nothing and take everything from them.
When Mercury paid us off for our totaled 993 they cramed us down to a car that was in worse shape than the old one. Get a lawyer and fight the value. Mercury wants to only pay out as little as possible.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:47 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh man. That totally blows!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:16 PM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still no word on anything. Not even the call from a detective like I was told. My insurance told me to not go near the car if I do somehow see it for any reason. I am assuming it's completely gone. My GF can tell this jolted me quite a bit as I mentioned maybe just getting a Camry or something equally as sucky.

Oddly enough this still makes me want to work hard to obtain whats others can't.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

NO, you won't get a Camry. Right now, you're in the throes of it all.

There's some good advice on here about dealing with the insurance company. Just take it one step at a time, and try to devoid your emotions from all this when you deal with Mercury. You'll be in fine fiddle again soon.

When you're going through Hell, just keep going.

Quick Reply: Car Stolen from Glendale, CA