Can't remove stub axle..

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:40 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't remove stub axle..

Hi all,

I am having a problem removing a stub axle to do rear wheel bearings on a 95 993. I have done this several times before without incident.

I have a 3 jaw puller on the wheel flange and the axle, the axle pushed out, but the dang stub axle will not come out of the hub.

I raised the hub so the axle was mainly level as suggested by Bob.

I have destroyed the threads on my cheapo 6" 3 jaw puller. Seems like I was putting 80 ft lbs into the wrench on the puller which is much more than I remember on the others.

Any ideas? Get a bigger puller? Get a better puller? Get a sledge hammer?

What about trying to remove the bearing retainer plates... Perhaps I can get the whole thing to slide out?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.
Pete
Old 06-27-2009, 09:18 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pete,

My car is currently up on stands for the same operation... the rear wheel bearing on the Right side was shot! The hub and race came out frighteningly easy, but the other side was reluctant enough to compel me to borrow a friends BIG 3-arm puller. Came right out with that...

Thanks again for the bar measurement!

Cheers, Mark.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:37 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

My pleasure. I guess I need a bigger puller then... Off to the store.

Pete
Old 06-27-2009, 10:14 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Bigger and better puller - those Harbor Freight types are made from butter steel -- about the stiffness of butter.

Once you have the hub loaded up with the puller, try some tapping with a soft hammer on the hub. Sometimes these will pop loose with some tapping and preload.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:54 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMarkie
My car is currently up on stands for the same operation... the rear wheel bearing on the Right side was shot!
What gave it away?

Andreas
Old 06-28-2009, 03:24 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Found a hub puller. Finally came off, requiring waay more force than I expected.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:23 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
What gave it away?

Andreas
Hi Andreas,

Subtle clunking noise and feel from the Right side prompted me to pull the brake pads out and feel the bearing while rotating the hub... and it just wasn't the smooth silky sensation the other side presented. It's a little hard to really feel the bearing as the drive shafts add some sensation, but comparing the two sides convinced me of the problem. Sure enough, when pulled apart the grease was dried up and nasty looking and the ***** and races were starting to dis-color... it was probably ready to start making the classic chirping squeal. Good thing to keep an eye on, especially when using sticky tires on the track...

Cheers, Mark.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another way to test is to find a flat place like a parking lot, turn the car off, and push the car fwd and back. You could hear some strange noises from the bearing, and you could also tell which side.

With the engine running I couldn't hear a thing, but with the engine off it was quite noticeable. It was much more noisy than just the brake pads dragging across the rotors.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:09 PM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Smart, Very Smart

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
Another way to test is to find a flat place like a parking lot, turn the car off, and push the car fwd and back. You could hear some strange noises from the bearing, and you could also tell which side.

With the engine running I couldn't hear a thing, but with the engine off it was quite noticeable. It was much more noisy than just the brake pads dragging across the rotors.

Great idea. Never thought of that.

Ken

Quick Reply: Can't remove stub axle..