Sponsored by:

Déjà vu all over again

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As everyone has said the important thing is both you and your son are ok. There are plenty of other cars out there.

When I had my 80SC I was on my way to the Gym early one morning, stopped at a light and got hit big time in the rear. I was amazed at how well my car took the hit and I could walk away - a bit banged up but ok.

I think we can all be thankful that Porsche builds them right.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:22 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you're all OK. Accidents happen and usually when you are least expecting it. This is a good counterpoint to people who rail against government mandated auto standards. The fact that a car (or cars) can sustain that kind of damage and the passengers all walk away is a tribute to the crashworthiness of more modern cars. Find another nice 993 and move on.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Derek_C
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She said 'I don't know what happened?' She doesn't see a car standing still right in front of her? Were you saying to yourself 'she's going to stop ... she must see me .... oh shXXXXt, she going to ram me!'

You have a very good attitude. Best of luck with your new search.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:49 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

+1 glad you and your son are OK.
Sorry about the car. Happy hunting!!.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry bout the car(s), but they're just sheet metal. The really important thing is that these little Panzers did their job, and thus you're both okay.

About Pemco: between both my daughters, they've been in wrecks vs. just about every insurance company out there. Pemco was one of the best to deal with in responsiveness and claim valuation.

The ABSOLUTE WORST, by a wide margin: Geico
Some old fart rearended my kid's Volvo and totaled it, and Geico fought me for every single penny. F*ck that gecko...
Old 06-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Maltby993
Track Day

An update, have finally settled with Pemco after a long, but ultimately satisfactory negotiation. Being patient, knowledgeable and prepared to defend the value of the car paid off. Many thanks to Rennlister BGoldey, who I bought the car from for having full "back to birth" records for the car. Also, having 0% contribution to the accident helped as well. I have chosen to salvage the car myself as there are too many good parts to let slip away, so I am still developing a plan on how best to do it, most importantly keeping my wife happy. I am looking for a replacement 993 Coupe (tan interior a must) but not in a hurry as we are leaving for a 3 week vacation in a week. Thanks again to everyone for your kind words, my son is very happy that we have gone more than a month without an accident! Cheers!

TC
Old 06-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Glad it's starting to work out for you then.

There is only ONE positive thing about your accident... there's less 993's on the road now by one, from an already smallish # so the rest of us that own one, our car's value just went up a few cents.

Good luck on parting that baby out. Personally, I wouldn't have had the stomach for it, dealing with my mutilated "baby" anymore. I'd never want to see it again in it's humiliated, broken state.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Maltby993
Track Day

A quick update, have sourced another car (there could never be a replacement for "Bob") but lucked out and my son John and I are picking up C2S in Boise on Wed., car passed PPI with flying colors. Consider myself fortunate to have not only my son, but what I consider next to the 73 2.7 C RS lightweight, one of the ultimate P-Cars. Now I need to do the salvage on Bob, strong engine (all records from birth, valve guide upgrade + clutch/flyweel), M033 and 18 turbo twists (hollow 8F, 10R) with pretty fresh M-Pilots. Will provide pics or the 2 ultimate "wide-tails" on Wed. Thanks to all on Rennlist for kind thoughs and encouragment!
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2009, 07:37 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Maltby993
my son John and I are picking up C2S in Boise on Wed.
I was worried when I first saw you'd revived this thread; was hoping not to hear about your third unfortunate traffic merge in this series.

Phewwww ... CONGRATULATIONS - what a great ending! Bob's follow-on looks & sounds amazing.

Y'all drive safe, & welcome back to 993 ownership!!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

That's a great looking C2S!! Can't wait to see you driving it around!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Wow, that is some crazy bad luck.

Good news is that it would be VERY unlikely to happen again... right?
Glad you and the family are OK!
+993.

Quick Reply: Déjà vu all over again