Sponsored by:

Déjà vu all over again

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that is some crazy bad luck.

Good news is that it would be VERY unlikely to happen again... right?
Glad you and the family are OK!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
The good thing is, statistically, you're probably not going to have another head-on in a Porsche again.
That's what I was thinking: from the nutty odds you've endured, you should soon have that 959 upgrade, thanks to a lottery win!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:16 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 467 Posts

That really sucks. Glad nobody was injured. I hope you're able to find and keep another.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 PM
baron95993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you and yuor son are ok it could have been much worse

Baron
Old 05-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
The good thing is, statistically, you're probably not going to have another head-on in a Porsche again.
Not to be a dork or anything, but you do know that's not the way it works, right? His chances of being in another one are exactly the same as any of the rest of us who haven't had one.

+1 to those who expressed relief that you and your son are in good health. But can you drive Hondas or something and save the Porsches for the rest of us?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:43 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very happy to hear that you and your son are OK.
Sorry about the car(s)....
chuck
Old 05-11-2009, 11:48 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bummer about the car. How are the door gaps? If it's just the fenders/bumper/hood, you should be able to get it fixed pretty easily. If the gaps are bad, the unibody is bent and you're looking at a whole 'nuther level of repair, unfortunately...
Old 05-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Maltby993
Track Day

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments, statistics be dam#ed I am still buying a Lotto ticket this week. Call from shop confirmed my initial thoughts, got to $40K for the repair and stopped counting. Car took a big hit, both frame rails and nose bent. Pretty sad now, especially for previous owner who had put much time, effort and expense in getting the car to an excellent overall condition. Many good bits 8x18F, 10x18R hollow spoke turbo twists and M033 Euro suspension and engine with clutch and valve guide replacement approx 30k miles ago. No issues with engine as I was in neutral when we were hit and the engine was still idling at 800rpm when we crawled out. Anybody have any experience with Pemco? My skills were honed with Amica from the 911SC and again thanks to the previous owner I have full records + dealer stamped book. I never even had a chance to take it to the shop! Anyway, in the market now for a replacement. Thanks again.

Terry
Old 05-13-2009, 03:41 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Glad you are okay, sad about your beautiful car. With your 911 luck, you may want to consider a Ferrari next time!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:57 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
But can you drive Hondas or something and save the Porsches for the rest of us?

Originally Posted by Maltby993
Call from shop confirmed my initial thoughts, got to $40K for the repair and stopped counting. Car took a big hit, both frame rails and nose bent. Pretty sad now, especially for previous owner who had put much time, effort and expense in getting the car to an excellent overall condition. Many good bits 8x18F, 10x18R hollow spoke turbo twists and M033 Euro suspension and engine with clutch and valve guide replacement approx 30k miles ago. No issues with engine as I was in neutral when we were hit and the engine was still idling at 800rpm when we crawled out. Anybody have any experience with Pemco? My skills were honed with Amica from the 911SC and again thanks to the previous owner I have full records + dealer stamped book. I never even had a chance to take it to the shop! Anyway, in the market now for a replacement. Thanks again.

Terry
Similar thing when a friend stuffed his 95 cab last year. Got to a certain level for repairs and stopped. Car looked to have similar damage to yours. With all the upgraded parts on her, it would be interesting to see where your car ends up. I hope you find a car just as good if not better. The hunt for the right car can be fun.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about this...I could go on and on about the drivers here in Western Washington...

Keep us posted about your progress with you insurance.

Really glad you and your son are OK.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:57 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 347 Likes on 154 Posts

Was she on the Phone??? Some people should not have the right to drive. PERIOD.

That Sucks big time, but the main thing is that both of you are safe. It's too bad that the car can not be repaired. Another 993 going where old cars go to rest their bones....
Old 05-13-2009, 11:25 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a huge bummer, Maltby. So sorry to hear about it - best of luck with the repairs.

I almost got into a head-on the other night, entered a driveway (essentially the entrance/exit of a parking lot) on the right side, saw a car in front of me making a left turn onto same driveway to exit. I stopped, and she made a tight turn into my lane and kept coming at me until finally seeing me just as I got my hand on the horn and she stopped about one foot in front of my bumper. This was in the Land Rover, mind you, with two xenons at her eye-level. No way she would've stopped had I been in the 993.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Kcreager1
Racer

Glad you are ok, it is a little creepy that it has happened 2 times to you. Just out of curiosity, have you been in any wrecks in a car OTHER THAN a 993????

Please keep the post going as you settle the insurance issues - I am very interested in how this works out. I have a declared value policy, partly because I have very little faith in the ability of an adjuster to find the value of our cars. However, my fears may be unfounded. I am very interested in how it works out.

Also, I have always been intrigued by the idea of 'buying back' a totaled car. After you get the nubmer, buying the car back for a 'nominal' sum. It might be near impossible for one of us to do this - since the engine fetches a pretty penny, but on a car with many upgrades it seems like it might work out somehow - especially if you are going to get another 993.

Good luck through the process, post what you can if possible.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Maltby993
Track Day

To answer a few posts, I have not had a moving violation or accident in 20++ years even driving 911 as daily since 1996. The explanation the lady driving the Lexus gave to the Sheriff was "I don't know what happened", whatever she had in her trunk from Costco must have been important. I have thought about moving to another brand but my kids, who have grown up with a 911 always in the garage are insistent on another 911 and air-cooled only. At least I have done one thing right in raising our kids! I will explore the potential of a salvage with another local friend who is a multi-Porsche owner, including C-GT, who is interested in potential for track day car. As it relates to the insurance, still waiting to hear from them and will provide an update when I have one. Thanks again to everyone for your kind words.

Quick Reply: Déjà vu all over again