Sponsored by:

964 Speedster question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:55 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 964 Speedster question

I posted this question yesterday, and for some reason, I inadvertently closed my own thread when I submitted it ... apologies to all.

Anyway, I was hoping someone here could tell me what a 964 Speedster looks like in the rear seat area? Do they have Rear Seat Delete boxes, just carpet, or some other configuration?
Thanks,
JP
Old 01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Fraenkie993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...just carpets...
Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fraenkie993
...just carpets...
Thanks, it's impossible to find pictures of anyones car with the clamshell open, looking down into the back. So, they must look a lot like an RS, back there then.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

...just carpets...
Agree.
Originally Posted by JPP
they must look a lot like an RS, back there then.
Agree.
Originally Posted by JPP
it's impossible to find pictures of anyones car with the clamshell open, looking down into the back.
Disagree

It is frustratingly like the 'Holy Grail' of web Speedster photos -- I've been in your shoes -- but I'll have ~3 to share ... when homework's done

Hopefully someone can share in the meantime (or help with my classes )

P.S. I got yer latest P.M.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is all carpet, and unfortunately I do not have a picture.... I leave for a two week business trip tomorrow, or I'd head to the track where the car is stored for the winter and snap a picture.

From memory, it is all carpet and the rear "shell" (aka "tonnau") has a mounting bracket on each side that allows it to flip up so that the manual top can be raised. With the top hidden behind the clam shell, there is not that much space so carpet was the proper option.

-B
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by curve lover
It is frustratingly like the 'Holy Grail' of web Speedster photos -- I've been in your shoes -- but I'll have ~3 to share ... when homework's done
Thanks, Jäger

Originally Posted by blake
It is all carpet, and unfortunately I do not have a picture.... I leave for a two week business trip tomorrow, or I'd head to the track where the car is stored for the winter and snap a picture.

From memory, it is all carpet and the rear "shell" (aka "tonnau") has a mounting bracket on each side that allows it to flip up so that the manual top can be raised. With the top hidden behind the clam shell, there is not that much space so carpet was the proper option.

-B
Thank you, Blake. If you ever get a chance in the next month or so to snap a picture and send it on, I'd greatly appreciate anything I can get.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:39 AM
Fraenkie993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....i walked through the deep snow, to the frozen garage....

....i opened it, so the car saw snow first time in its life.....

....i pulled off the soft cover, and i smiled

....i opened the door, switched off my shoes and sat in....

....i enjoyed a really long time....

and then i made your pic, so now i send it to you :

Best wishes from Germany
Frank
Old 01-09-2010, 11:44 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Frank,
Holy Cr*p, you're a poet!! Thank you so much for doing this, I am in your debt, sir. I'd like to see a picture of your entire car sometime, hopefully in the spring or summer when you're re-united with your beautiful Speedster!

....i walked through the deep snow, to the frozen garage....

....i opened it, so the car saw snow first time in its life.....

....i pulled off the soft cover, and i smiled

....i opened the door, switched off my shoes and sat in....

....i enjoyed a really long time....

and then i made your pic, so now i send it to you :

Best wishes from Germany
Frank

Last edited by JPP; 01-09-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Be aware that there is no way to use the rear for any kind of seating since the clam shell has to be folded down during car use. The deck of the clam shell comes nearly to the back of the front seats.

I miss mine dearly one of the few cars I have owned that I actually miss.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:00 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Trader220
Be aware that there is no way to use the rear for any kind of seating since the clam shell has to be folded down during car use. The deck of the clam shell comes nearly to the back of the front seats.

I miss mine dearly one of the few cars I have owned that I actually miss.
Wow, I've never had a car stolen not to mention a Speedster. I can't even imagine how you must feel. Sorry, sorry.

This is all very interesting info and backs up what I've suspected. Although I've never owned a 911 variant Speedster, I've been around a few over the years but never paid any attention to what was under the clamshell until now. The reason I asked the question is because of this picture of Jerry Seinfeld's Factory produced 993 Speedster that shows a Rear Seat Delete under the clamshell:

I thought at first, that this might be a standard the factory brought over from the 964 Speedster production, but it looks like that was not the case. Since all of the handful of factory built 993 Speedsters were one-off specials, each, it seems, different from the rest and the fact that this car was returned to the factory for conversion after being delivered as a Cabriolet, probably with RSD in place, I think my question has been answered. There must be no room at all under that clamshell and/or the top is compressed quite a bit. I know there are straps with hooks to 'Roll' the top and rear window up in the back to compress and protect it when it's folded, so they must really roll it tight to get it all tucked in. What do you think?

Here's one of the Freisenger 993 Speedsters showing the clamshell open with the top stowed, albeit not very neatly, but you can see where most of the bows sit up inside the clamshell area and the rear window and soft top cover occupy the space below:

And here is a picture of a factory Rear Seat Delete in a Cabriolet showing the amount of room that's left above it to the cowl line. Looks like there could be enough room for the rolled/folded Speedster top but I think you would have to stow it carefully:

So, unless your seats fold or tilt forward, accessing the bin doors would be difficult if not impossible. Do the 964 RS/Speedster Recaro bucket seats tilt forward at all? If not, there's the achilles heal ...

Last edited by JPP; 01-09-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: brain fart
Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by curve lover
I'll have ~3 to share ... when homework's done

Hopefully someone can share in the meantime (or help with my classes )
Rennlist is a wonderful place.

Frank-- Beautiful photo ... although I kinda wish someone had helped with my homework, instead

JP-- As promised: late Sun night, after 10 hours of weekend homework, you're my first priority. 'Sides, Speedsters are always much more fun than nightschool.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:52 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not directly related, but from past experience, I bet you'll send me a PM at some point in the future, asking for something like this....

Disregard the arrows, unless you need four rubber stoppers pointed out

Old 01-11-2010, 02:03 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jon Paul-- ^^ these are mostly from the Technik brochure photos on eBay, of which one just sold for ~$145 (no affiliation).

As addicted as you've quickly become, you may appreciate these shots, too. Text is German (FWIW, mine is English).

Old 01-11-2010, 02:07 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
unless your seats fold or tilt forward, accessing the bin doors would be difficult if not impossible. Do the 964 RS/Speedster Recaro bucket seats tilt forward at all?
Thanks to David in LA (on this & many other 993 subjects), I learned that Sparco does make a tilting bracket for fixed back seats...

Quick Reply: 964 Speedster question