Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Norco 86002 lift: discount available or maybe a group buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Toddimus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norco 86002 lift: discount available or maybe a group buy?

Hi folks

I'm finally ready to bite the bullet and buy a mid-rise scissor lift. I've narrowed it down to one lift since it appears to be the "perfect" solution, given the options out there.

Norco 86002

The big difference for us 911/964/993 owners is the fact that there is no cross-member in the way when we drop the engine/transmission unit. I know others have simply cut this cross-member off of the other manufacturers' lifts (see VUUGTI's post), but I can't bring myself to cut an expensive, brand new tool with a crude saw. Not to mention removing something that was designed to be there in the first place. I'm not criticizing anybody who did cut their lift, but I just don't want to do it to my new tool! The Norco lift is beefier in the center section to make up for the lack of a rear cross-member.

I have done way, way too much research on this and have known all along that Norco is the one I wanted, I just didn't want to pay the slight premium. Unfortunately, since I've waited, the price on these lifts seems to have gone up due to an increase in the cost of Chinese steel. The hydraulics and steel are from China and the lift is assembled in the USA with American pump and motor.

I contacted Norco directly and they offered a 10% discount for me and other rennlist folks. Just mention "rennlist.com discount" when you talk to one of their distributors and the 10% discount should come up in Norco's system when the distributor makes the order from Norco.

Another option is potentially an even larger discount if we can put together a group buy of 5 or more lifts. Let me know if anybody is up for this. I don't have an exact price for the group buy, but I'm assuming it would be less than $2k. If there is interest, I'll pursue it further.

By the way, I have no affiliation to Norco other than the fact that I will soon be the owner of one of their lifts! In any event, I'll post some photos and a "review" of the lift once I get it.

Cheers
Old 02-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, this is deja vu all over again. I started a thread around Christmas for a group buy..had about 6 or 7 interested. I don't think anyone else pulled the trigger. Got the price down to $1,195.

The Norco looks nice but I am not sure the extra $800 is worth it for the bar being in the way for some procedures.

Here is the thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...the-fence.html
Old 02-27-2009, 12:43 PM
993Coupe
Instructor

Bruce, I followed your thread for a while, but at the time I wasn't interested. Since then I now have changed my mind. If anyone does get around to pulling the trigger, I'm interested. I live in Jersey, so I'm not sure about shipping. Let me know.

Zach
Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 PM
helmet155
Pro

1195 is a great price! I may buy one just for future projects!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

I am interested in this one for the same reason you mentioned. No cross bar.

I have seen it in person and it is solid.

http://www.westernhoist.com/purchase_mid.html
Old 02-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

From the group buy for mid rise lifts FWIW:

So...here is the deal from Best Buy Auto $1,195 for the Direct Lift Pro-6MR Scissors Lift. Shipping is (for me to Seattle) about $190. They are coming out of the LA area...Temequla. The shipping would be about $140 to Scotts shipping dock but then we have to handle them and drive around to everybody place. The $190 is a lift gate at my house.

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/...Show=TechSpecs

I did a little Google search and they seem OK...they have no complaints and seem like a large company with multple warehouses.

Talk to Anthony...
I don't think anyone else ordered and the price is the price...it good!

I think there are too many other distractions these days!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Toddimus
Instructor

Bruce,

Sorry, I didn't see your original thread around Xmas time. $1200 is a great price, and I think for that price I could convince myself to cut it if it were necessary.

What's even better is that there is a Best Buy Auto Equipment distributor in Santa Cruz, about 1/4 mile from where I work. I don't know if they will have the lift in stock, or if it will have to come out of Temecula, but it would make logistics simpler since I don't have access to a forklift, which it appears I would need to take delivery of most other lift manufacturers.

I think I'll have to go check him out at lunch time on Monday and see if I can get the same price.

Have you had the 993 up on it yet? Any issues with it? Can 3 or 4 guys manhandle it to get it out of a pickup truck bed?

Thanks,
Todd
Old 03-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Todd,

Give Anthony a call and he can let you know if they have it in stock in Santa Cruz or just Temecula.

I had a lift gate truck deliver and they rolled it right into the garage!

Good luck and let us know!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Toddimus
Instructor

Bruce,

I'll call Anthony tomorrow. So it appears that the lift from Best Buy Auto Equipment is from Direct Lift, which is the same one as the Greg Smith Equipment lift that people are talking about. Sorry if that was already noted in your thread, but I didn't notice it in my reading. There is pretty good press on the the lift so I hope it turns out well.

One other question: is the "offending" cross-member tubular steel or is it a solid piece? I doubt that it matters too much, but I know I'll have to cut it one of these days, and I'm thinking about how I can re-weld a triangular cross-member in its place.

I'll let you know how things work out.

Cheers

Last edited by Toddimus; 03-02-2009 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Another thought
Old 03-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Toddimus
Instructor

Sold Out!

I spoke with Jeff at Best Buy Auto Equip. today (Anthony was busy). He said that they are sold out of the Pro-6MR lift, and when they eventually get more, they will be more expensive. They just had the "good deal" while their current stock lasted. Basically, my timing sucks.

While speaking with Jeff, he suggested that I consider a four post lift. That does actually make some sense for me. While I couldn't use the stacking parking option at our house now, we will be moving one of these days before too long.

I would also like the full access underneath the car, seeing as though the job I'm actually buying the lift for is to remove the transmission from my wife's Audi S6 wagon. Of course the 993 will spend the most time up on the lift, so access is important there as well.

My wife wants her S6 back up and running, so she keeps telling me to s#!t or get off of the pot. How's that? A wife telling me to hurry up and spend a couple of thousand bucks!

I'll make my final decision in the next day or two.

Cheers
Old 03-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Too bad about the timing but the 4 post might work for your application. I waffled about what to get but am happy with the scissors!

Let us know!

Quick Reply: Norco 86002 lift: discount available or maybe a group buy?