SAI system removal – success!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:22 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts
Default SAI system removal – success!

I’ve been slowly building up the courage to yank the entire intake system off in order to remove the useless SAI pump, distribution manifold, and air lines. I have a 6/94 build, OBD-1 993, so the diagnostics do not care whether this system is functional, or in a dumpster. A few Rennlist pioneers (jmarch, jscott82) encouraged me to forge ahead, so a few weeks ago I ordered the cam tower block-off bolts from Patrick Motorsports. These are necessary to plug the openings left when the air line fittings are removed from the camshaft towers.

A conversation on Thursday with good friend and 24/7 993 technical advisor, Neil Sullivan, went something like this, Me: “So I’m thinking of taking the plunge.” Neil: “Let’s do it Saturday.” So that’s what we did today. Although outside temps hovered around 10 F, we stayed comfortable enough for t-shirts courtesy of a big kerosene heater. Neither of us knew what to expect, but trusted each other’s mechanical skills to make it through this adventure.

My initial plan was to pull the airbox, remove the right bank of the intake manifold, and then excise the offending mechanism. While the removal of these two items allowed a nice amount of room, we were not able to properly access the mounting bolts for the bracket that the pump is bolted to. So off came the throttle body. That allowed us to completely remove the pump, brackets, the SAI check valve manifold, and the plumbing to the right bank.

But how to remove the hard line running to the left cam tower? We tried to snake various 17mm wrenches into the tight confines behind the left intake manifold, but simply ran out of room to swing a wrench. We pulled the blower motor, and then went about undoing myriad vacuum and electrical connections that kept the left side intake manifold strapped in. Once this mess was on the garage floor, the left side connection came out without issue. We snugged the block-off bolts into place on each cam tower and then took some time to clean nearly 15 years of oil film from within the manifold passages.

The throttle body needed a mild cleaning as well and then it was time to reverse course and make the engine compartment look normal again. We attached the left-side intake manifold, the blower motor, the throttle body, the right-side intake manifold, and finally, the airbox. Certainly easier said than done, but not impossible for a mechanically-inclined owner. Rather than describe each pic, I’ll just close with a few hints and then attach a selection of pics we took throughout the day (it took us nearly 8 hours…). FWIW, the Dung Beetle started right up and assumed a perfect idle shortly thereafter. I’m sure my neighbors enjoyed the sound of a 993 running at part throttle, without mufflers, at 7pm…….

• Make sure to label the flimsy vacuum lines. They come off very easy and a few of them look the same.
• Rather than fashion a special open socket for the air line fittings (at the cam towers), we just cut the metal lines so that a deep 17mm socket could fit over the ends.
• The SAI pump is fed by one vacuum line. We simply capped this at the junction block located aft of the throttle body.
• The SAI manifold (on which the SAI check valve rests) is attached to the engine tin via four bolts (two small 10mm ones that serve to attach the tin to the engine case, and two 13mm ones that attach the manifold to the tin. The small ones come straight out, but the large ones require a long-armed monkey to hold the related nuts from below (I was that monkey). Look into the cavity above the small oil filter and you’ll see the two nuts.
• The SAI pump is connected to the rear of the airbox via a molded rubber hose. Removing this silly system means that the rear of the airbox will have a small port (less than 1”) that can either be left as is, or plugged. I found a black plastic cap in my personal hardware store that seemed tailor-made for the task.
• With the intake manifolds removed, we noticed an oily film on the insides of the plastic intake risers. We carefully cleaned the insides and then vacuumed the voids/ports. I was pleased to see that the intake valve stems and surrounding areas looked factory new (not bad for 50,000 miles).
Neil - your help and guidance was greatly appreciated.
Cactus, your junker is next.

Please feel free to ask questions about the process. It was a fun learning experience and we’re sure we could do the same procedure again in far less time. Enjoy the pics.

Andreas

Last edited by AOW162435; 01-18-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:43 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Good job! I saw some dirt, however
Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Please point it out so that I can take everything apart again tomorrow.

Andreas
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (04-09-2020)
Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, I saw the couple of specks on the towel too!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:51 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Very impressive. I don't know why everyone gives you such a hard time Andreas, I only found the word "clean" or any derivative three times in your very thorough write-up.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:35 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Very impressive. I don't know why everyone gives you such a hard time Andreas, I only found the word "clean" or any derivative three times in your very thorough write-up.
I'll be more crafty next time and use a few of these $10 words: absterge, depurate, deterge, edulcorate, elutriate, expurgate, winnow.

Andreas
Old 01-18-2009, 01:45 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I'll be more crafty next time and use a few of these $10 words: absterge, depurate, deterge, edulcorate, elutriate, expurgate, winnow.

Andreas
Main Entry: clean
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: make undirty, uncluttered
Synonyms: absterge, bath, bathe, blot, brush, cauterize, clarify, cleanse, clear the decks*, clear up, deodorize, depurate, deterge, disinfect, do up*, dredge, dust, edulcorate, elutriate, erase, expunge, expurgate, flush, hackle, launder, lave, mop, neaten, pick, pick up, polish, purge, purify, rake, rasp, refine, rinse, rout out, sanitize, scald, scour, scrape, scrub, shake out, shampoo, soak, soap, sponge, spruce up*, sterilize, straighten up, swab, sweep, tidy up, vacuum, wash, whisk, winnow, wipe

Question. Would this cause any difficulties with emissions testing?
Old 01-18-2009, 01:53 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Question. Would this cause any difficulties with emissions testing?
Nope. It's OBD-I and Maryland only requires the tailpipe test for old junk like this.

Andreas
Old 01-18-2009, 01:54 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You go wit yo bad self!

Wow, and I was impressed I could fix my belts today...

dave
Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Nope. It's OCD-I and Maryland only requires the tailpipe test for old junk like this.

Andreas
Fixed it for ya
Old 01-18-2009, 02:30 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Fixed it for ya
Ha!

Andreas
Old 01-18-2009, 02:31 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up Andreas, but if you are going to the trouble for this DIY, why not put on clear corners on the yellow Porsche?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice job .... I may do the same thing on my 1995 OBD-I ... or just crimp the SAI lines shut ...
Old 01-18-2009, 08:54 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95C4VanIsle
Great write up Andreas, but if you are going to the trouble for this DIY, why not put on clear corners on the yellow Porsche?
Good one! As for clear corners - I've never understood the fascination.

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Nice job .... I may do the same thing on my 1995 OBD-I ... or just crimp the SAI lines shut ...
Complete removal - very satisfying! Crimping - not so much.

Andreas
Old 01-18-2009, 09:39 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great writeup. Unfortunately, since my 96 requires SAI, this is not one project that I'd follow.

Questions:

1) Did you weight all of the stuff that came out? Wonder how much weight was shaved off the car.

2) Is there a SAI wall clock art in the works?

Quick Reply: SAI system removal – success!