Intro: New Member in Atlanta, GA

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 AM
willchao
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro: New Member in Atlanta, GA

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new 993 owner and RL member. I live down in the Grant Park/East Atlanta area.

I recently picked up my 1996 Coupe in Missouri and drove it back to Atlanta, GA. The car is a one-owner tiptronic coupe, Black/Black, with 48k miles. Options were pretty plain with 17" cup wheels w/ painted caps, Hi-Fi, ABD and CD changer. The car is in great condition considering the age, but has a few issues that will need addressing:

1. Driver's door-stay is clicking and will need the weld-fix. (ATL recommendation is appreciated).
2. Driver's seat front-back switch is not working (I think I saw a thread for cleaning the switch).
3. Truck/Hood shocks are shot (being addressed today).
4. Front pads have 50% left, Rears are at 30%. (considering DYI, but not sure).
5. Shocks seems fine, but considering Bilstein HD/ROW M030 to improve ride quality & height.
6. Audio upgrade. Considering upgraded HU/Amp and front speakers.

Been doing a lot of searches, but would appreciate any advice on the above specific to the Atlanta area. HIDs are already done thanks to the great information here.

Looking forward to meeting some of the locals soon. I was working during the New Year's Eve mountain drive :-(

Here is the only two pictures I have so far, both taken in Bramson MO. I'm next to my friend's 928 S4. He was nice enough to host me in AR and drove me to MO to pick up the car.

Cheers, wc

Old 01-05-2009, 12:36 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome... Nice car!

PM Me about the speakers and Radio if interested. I have one in my car that I'm likley going to yank out. Momo/Polk Speakers & Alpine Head-Unit w/ IPod connector. If you want to hear it you're more than welcome as it is still connected.

I can also show you a brake job... VERY VERY Easy to do.

Sorry you missed the drive.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:48 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Overall, it sounds like you're on top of things. Welcome and congratulations on your new ride! One thing, your shocks may seem fine, but they are probably close to the end of their life at this point. Good idea on the Bilstein HD/ROW M030 upgrade; then you'll see how shot your shocks were in comparison.

Best of luck and once again, congratulations!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-05-2009, 02:22 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the ATL and nice wheels.

Item #1: Call John @ Holt Wheels Motorsports
http://holtwheelsmotorsports.com/index.html

Excellent work.

Last edited by AtlJimK; 01-05-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Welcome! Good job on the pics!

On the stereo, OEM usually works best unless you really invest in a whole system. A few of us have upgraded the head unit to the CRD 220, or Traffic Pro. Sounds better, slides right in & is OEM.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:48 PM
David Danhof
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome, see you at the track?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM
willchao
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies. The car is at German Auto Repair today getting new hood/truck shocks and an oil change. I've asked them to look at the door stop. If they cannot suggest a suitable solution, off to Holt it will be.

Dave, It would be great to get some advice assistance when the time comes for brakes, thank you!

As for the stereo, that's my current plan. It maybe be sooner, or later, depending on shocks and Fister exhaust mod. I have to pick my slope-path carefully...

I've done some track work, nothing beyond DEs and the audi driving experience. Probably four times total since 2001:
2001: TX World Speedway in a S2000
2003: Talladega GP in a 91 Miata with the Peachtree Club
2006: Road Atlanta in a Ducati 748 Mono with Sportbike tracktime
2007: Road Atlanta in an Audi A3 3.2(DSG) with the Audi Club

The Miata and Audi event was the best time. I was too scared in my 1st time with the S2000 and dumped the bike my 1st time at RA. The miata was great since it was cheap and not too fast (drive a slow car fast). The Audi track day I loved because I knew the track (2nd time there) and didn't have to worry about heel-toe with the DSG transmission. That day was awesome. I would like to do more events, but a lot of downtime between sessions is a bore. I need to meet/know more folks or convince my friends to join me.

Here are picture of the track days.

Last edited by willchao; 01-05-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Will,

Welcome to the Madness! If your car is with Alan at German Car Repair, it is in good hands. Many of us use them here.

Looking forward meeting you at one of our runs. Even though I may have met you before as I've done DE's with the Audi Club on my Quattro A4 at RA as well.

Let me know if you need some help on some of your DIY projects.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:26 PM
willchao
Advanced

The car is at German Auto Repair on Lower Roswell and Roswell. Bill is the owner. I had used Alan's shop befor past car, an S54 M Roadster. That was a great shop, just too far for me to work out logistically. Love that Grand Marquis loaner from Alan's shop! :-)

If we were at the same audi event, my A3 was the only A3 there that day. Was giving an noobie S4 the business that day. Everyone remembers their 1st day. I think a sentra blew past me my 1st day at TWS in the S2000.

Last edited by willchao; 01-05-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Bill Briere also.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:00 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome. Nice car!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 AM
willchao
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
I use Bill Briere also.
A friend was using Bill's shop for his E39 M5 and liked him a lot, but it was your use of the shop for your Bilstein HD install that finalized my decision to use GAR. The fact it is one of the closest shops to my work helped too.

Bill actually recommended Holt's for the door stop work, and replaced the hood/truck struts and changed the oil. He discovered a small leak near the timing belt area, and suggested we check it again after a tank of gas. In looking at the oil guage now, I have a strong feeling that the seller of my car overfilled the oil. I will do a search to see if overfilling could have cause the leak, as well as speak to Bill. The seller specialized in old american muscle cars and probably didn't know how to properly use the level guage.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:24 AM
md11plt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YEA! Another member.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 AM
joelb
Advanced

Welcome to the downhill slide!

Is your p-car black or metallic black? Looks black but I was just wondering. NICE!

Quick Reply: Intro: New Member in Atlanta, GA