Intro: New Member in Atlanta, GA

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joelb
Welcome to the downhill slide!

Is your p-car black or metallic black? Looks black but I was just wondering. NICE!
Hey there, Joel, we missed you at the new year's eve run.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome and congratulations! Nice car.
chuck
Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist, I also live in the Metro ATL area, about 20 mins from Grant Park. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Originally Posted by willchao
Thanks for all the replies. The car is at German Auto Repair today getting new hood/truck shocks and an oil change. I've asked them to look at the door stop. If they cannot suggest a suitable solution, off to Holt it will be.

Dave, It would be great to get some advice assistance when the time comes for brakes, thank you!

As for the stereo, that's my current plan. It maybe be sooner, or later, depending on shocks and Fister exhaust mod. I have to pick my slope-path carefully...

I've done some track work, nothing beyond DEs and the audi driving experience. Probably four times total since 2001:
2001: TX World Speedway in a S2000
2003: Talladega GP in a 91 Miata with the Peachtree Club
2006: Road Atlanta in a Ducati 748 Mono with Sportbike tracktime
2007: Road Atlanta in an Audi A3 3.2(DSG) with the Audi Club

The Miata and Audi event was the best time. I was too scared in my 1st time with the S2000 and dumped the bike my 1st time at RA. The miata was great since it was cheap and not too fast (drive a slow car fast). The Audi track day I loved because I knew the track (2nd time there) and didn't have to worry about heel-toe with the DSG transmission. That day was awesome. I would like to do more events, but a lot of downtime between sessions is a bore. I need to meet/know more folks or convince my friends to join me.

Here are picture of the track days.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Will, welcome aboard. Nice looking ride you got there. Too bad you aren't closer, I could fix the door check strap for you. As far as parts go, Sunset Porsche is always great (pricing and service.) For suspension bits, I like Viper Bob (again pricing and service.)
The slope can be steep...but it is so much fun! Lots of great info and people here, for sure.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 PM
willchao
Advanced

Thanks for all the welcomes from both the locals and RListers.

Joelb, The car is black. No metallic. 741 color code.

Darin, I think I've already inquired about your Stage II from my work email. That is definitely on my list.

I have a favor to ask the locals. I would like to learn more about working on my car in order to save cost, but more importantly to bond with the car and to know I did the work with care. My request is that if anyone in the ATL area is planning to do something DYI, contact me if you would like some company. I'd like to learn from watching and can even assist in needed...even if it is to get the beer/coffee. Think of it as free beer and an extra pair of hands at your next oil change!!!

Lastly, Due to both me being overly anxious and the holiday giving season, I ended up with two copies of the "993 Companion" I'm offering my spare copy to anyone in the area for $50. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Last edited by willchao; 01-08-2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling :-(
Old 01-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

...I have a favor to ask the locals. I would like to learn more about working on my car in order to save cost, but more importantly to bond with the car and to know I did the work with care. My request is that if anyone in the ATL area is planning to do something DYI, contact me if you would like some company. I'd like to learn from watching and can even assist in needed...even if it is to get the beer/coffee. Think of it as free beer and an extra pair of hands at your next oil change!!!...
If you and Dave hook up for that brake DYI, count me in - my brake pad sensor is intermittently coming on now. It started right after that crazy-*** new year's eve run!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:29 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm doing my brakes this weekend if you guys are interested... PM Me.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM
joelb
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Hey there, Joel, we missed you at the new year's eve run.
Hey Ed,

Well, I have a very good excuse for missing the NYE run: I suck. I wasn't keeping up well with RL and just missed it completely. Stupid, stupid, stupid me.

Looks like you guys had a blast. It would have been the last time I got to run my p-car in it's current stock configuration. I dropped it off Monday for "a lil touch-up". Kinetic is working on it right now and soon I'll have my baby back looking all spiffy. It's mostly cosmetic work but I'm sure it'll be faster because it'll be more aerodynamic (right).

Anyway, I will not miss the NYE run at the end of this year! See you guys at the next DE!

Joel
Old 01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
joelb
Advanced

Joelb, The car is black. No metallic. 741 color code.

Lastly, Due to both me being overly anxious and the holiday giving season, I ended up with two copies of the "993 Companion" I'm offering my spare copy to anyone in the area for $50. Let me know if anyone is interested.
Good to hear on the black only -- that means my 993 is still somewhat unique to this area. Mine's a Z8 (Black metallic/Pearl) color code. Wouldn't want to run up on my "evil twin" some day. Wait, if you don't think you have an evil twin then maybe it means YOU'RE the evil one.

About that book... you should bring it to Monday evening's Peachstate PCA social/monthly meeting and see if anyone there wants it -- heck I might even grab it. Here's a link for the event: http://www.peachstatepca.org/events/...ting_ALDOS.asp

Hope to see you there!
Joel
Old 01-09-2009, 03:23 PM
willchao
Advanced

Originally Posted by joelb
About that book... you should bring it to Monday evening's Peachstate PCA social/monthly meeting and see if anyone there wants it -- heck I might even grab it. Here's a link for the event: http://www.peachstatepca.org/events/...ting_ALDOS.asp

Hope to see you there!
Joel
I don't think there is a chance, ever, that I run up on ya. Especially at a DE. If I do, it will be due to my noobie DYI brake-job.

As for the meeting Monday, I may just have to do that. Look for the guy that doesn't know anyone.

Last edited by willchao; 01-09-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added content.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:27 AM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome. Some great posts on this thread. +1 on being a hand on any work or projects. I'm too just learning about these crazy German cars.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:01 AM
willchao
Advanced

Maybe we can have a North Georgia tech day when spring comes? I'll be happy to help with food and drinks, but cannot host. No garage.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

+1 on the brake pad replacement DIY, soooo easy. My 993 recipe starts with a mild rotor trim, OE pads and new sensors sourced from the Sunset Porsche guy's. The value brake job.

I'll see ya'll on the 12th.

Quick Reply: Intro: New Member in Atlanta, GA