Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche pertinent: Speedster revival.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:19 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Saw this Bloomberg article today in an email from PCA. What happened to the $204K price tag???

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...imer-says.html
Old 10-07-2010, 03:39 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Saw this Bloomberg article today in an email from PCA. What happened to the $204K price tag???

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...imer-says.html
Porsche always milks the old cow before moving to a new platform ...

Porsche's $275,000 911 Speedster May Sell Out by Late October
By Andreas Cremer and Cornelius Rahn - Sep 30, 2010
Business ExchangeBuzz up!DiggPrint Email . Porsche's new limited-production 911 Speedster model is part of a growth strategy that will be overseen by Chief Executive Officer Matthias Mueller, right, who took the helm at a ceremony last night, when CEO Michael Macht, left, shifted to Volkswagen AG to become production chief. Photographer: Antoine Antoniol/Bloomberg

A Porsche SE 911 Speedster automobile, center, sits on display on the first press day of the Paris Motor Show in Paris. Photographer: Antoine Antoniol/Bloomberg
Porsche AG said the new limited- production 911 Speedster may sell out by the end of October as orders for the sports car grow “by the hour.”

Porsche, which is unveiling the fourth version of the 911 Speedster at the Paris Motor Show, will start delivering the 408-horsepower vehicle worldwide in November, Wolfgang Duerheimer, the company’s development chief, said today in an interview in the French capital. Production will be restricted to 356 cars priced at $275,000.

“There’s a sizeable fan community for such vehicles in the market,” Duerheimer said. “The new Speedster will be a big hit for us.”

A global economic recovery has prompted luxury-car makers including Bayerische Motoren Werke AG and Daimler AG’s Mercedes- Benz division, the two biggest, to boost sales or earnings forecasts this year, while Volkswagen AG’s Audi luxury brand is targeting record deliveries. BMW and Audi said today that small- cars they’re introducing will also sell out.

The 911 Speedster is part of a growth strategy that will be overseen by Chief Executive Officer Matthias Mueller, who took Porsche’s top post at a ceremony last night, when CEO Michael Macht shifted to Volkswagen to be production chief. Porsche will expand its lineup from 38 models across four vehicle lines in an effort to almost double yearly sales to 150,000 cars and sport- utility vehicles by about 2014, Duerheimer said.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:38 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Porsche always milks the old cow before moving to a new platform ...
I figured this was U.S. dealer markup. Seems like they're trying to recapture profits on soft sales for the entire year ...
Old 10-11-2010, 05:16 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation now THAT'S 1 way to make an entrance

Originally Posted by JPP

What happened to the $204K price tag???
FYI, some of the same ?s on dertub (Mike)'s "Speedster may sell out by the end of October?" 997 Forum thread.

From Telegraph.co.uk's "Paris Motor Show 2010 in pictures" ...
Originally Posted by AFP/GETTY

Michael Macht, Chairman of the Board of Porsche AG, arrives aboard the new Porsche Speedster

Old 10-11-2010, 03:02 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JPP
What happened to the $204K price tag???
Yeah, after re-reading this post, it actually looks like I could have afforded a $204K price. NOT! Now there's just 71 thousand more things blocking my purchase ability ...
Old 10-11-2010, 03:14 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

The worst thing about Porsche's pricing on this model is that nobody will drive them. Sad.

I wish Porsche would produce ~1000-1500 of these (worldwide) and price them @ $150K. Porsche would still make a boatload of money, the car would still be quite rare, and some might actually get driven. And at some point, a few might just be attainable to mere mortal enthusiasts rather than just the uber-rich.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:47 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
The worst thing about Porsche's pricing on this model is that nobody will drive them. Sad.

I wish Porsche would produce ~1000-1500 of these (worldwide) and price them @ $150K. Porsche would still make a boatload of money, the car would still be quite rare, and some might actually get driven. And at some point, a few might just be attainable to mere mortal enthusiasts rather than just the uber-rich.
And the uber rich can't be enthusiasts?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:51 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
I did not say there were not/could not be rich enthusiasts. Sorry you took it that way.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by texas911
Unfortunately, I don't think the 'Uber Rich' buy cars like this. I think this car and it's price is aimed at the "New Upper Middle Class" .. but certainly not some semi-retired working shmo like me, not that it would be wasted ....
Old 10-13-2010, 10:05 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For anyone who might like to see more of the all-too-rare WHITE &/or top up:

Old 10-14-2010, 04:44 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Huh. First time I noticed they changed/updated the Speedster badge for the new car ..
Old 10-15-2010, 01:07 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP

they changed/updated the Speedster badge ..
I noticed! Improved?
Originally Posted by JPP
this car is aimed at the "New Upper Middle Class" .. not like me, not that it would be wasted ....
Anything but wasted under your enthusiast care!
Plus, your garage looks to have room for another Porsche to luv

Biggest question: Blue or white?
How would Günter, Hildegärd, & Helmut vote???

Old 10-15-2010, 11:47 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by curve lover
I noticed! Improved?
I think it's the logical subtle evolution of style that is the hallmark of change at Porsche. I do like it and, in a way, it would be the most appropriate badge for any Speedster built after 1997 because it takes cues from that point in Porsche badging in particular and brings them into the future:
1954 - The hand made prototype badge used on the first 200 or so cars. My '55 Super Speedster had these and I still own a set of originals I bought from Veale Volkswagen back when Sir Francis Drake was running parts for the Germans ... Notice the similarities of this first badge with the '89 Speedster badge ..

From '55 on, the production badge was very machine-boxy looking, removing all of the 'Caligraphy' look of the earlier hand-made version:

Then, the '89/'94 911 Speedster badge brought back the 'Caligraphy' style of the early badge and even added a very subtle curve to the entire body of letters allowing the word to follow the curvature of the engine lid. Also, this is the only badge that uses the lower case 'caligraphy style' s in the second position:

The '97 Boxster badge that introduced the new style of 'Caligraphy' badging that continues today ..

And the newest version, straight as an arrow across the bottom like the '55 and on production badge, changing the second S and T to reflect the earliest badges and the 'New' style of lettering introduced in '97 when the Boxster badge made it's debut... A perfect blend of all of it, really.

.... Plus, your garage looks to have room for another Porsche to luv
Yes, and a nice spot in the back where my body could be encased in a new cement side landing by my S.O. and financial adviser.... They could sit out there toasting the sale of my assets and watch the sun set over the McEvoy Olive groves while sitting on something that's actually appreciating ...

Biggest question: Blue or white?
How would Günter, Hildegärd, & Helmut vote???
Mmm. Helmut would definitely vote Blue. It's so classic (Speedster Blue, '54/'55) like he is and a very exciting and complimentary color on this car.
Günter and Hildegärd (and, if it DID start snowing in hell for some reason, me as well if it came down to it ...) I'm thinking white. Günter for obvious reasons, Hildegärd because it's such a handsome color on this car and me because it reminds me of my '55 So much and it's a color that I personally really like on the organic shapes of the 911.

And thanks for this latest jewel of a shot of the new car, Jäger, you're resourcefulness and generosity is most appreciated.

Just look at it ... like a formal Tuxedo jacket over a crisp white shirt. I gotta say, I'm lovin' the new top's final production design for the side window curves. As usual, Porsche really got it right ....

Last edited by JPP; 10-15-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: ... a fleeting flash of brilliance. But, I got better ....
Old 10-15-2010, 11:18 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by timothymoffat

The worst thing about this model is that nobody will drive them.
Tim-- Wish I could disagree, but I suspect at least 355 of the new owners will barely drive them. I hope to be proven wrong!
Originally Posted by JPP

The hand made prototype badge used on the first 200 or so cars.
Yes, I know that one: the "Spoodster" badge:

Old 10-15-2010, 11:20 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP

The newest version... A perfect blend of all of it, really.
Incredible, meticulous badge analysis! Added bonus with the great visual aids -- wow.
Originally Posted by JPP

thanks for this latest jewel of a shot of the new car, Jäger, you're resourcefulness and generosity is most appreciated.
My pleasure, but credit where credit's due:
The shots were taken by a friend of RLer carrering (Jim).

One more of your favorite (white) to enjoy:
Originally Posted by carrering

Quick Reply: Porsche pertinent: Speedster revival.