Porsche pertinent: Speedster revival.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Hold your breath: Porsche unveils new 911 Speedster

Editor's note: [Miss y'all ... I've seen random posts on other threads where friends are trying to get in touch.
Apologies that I disappeared "off the grid" so suddently ... wrapping up night school. My 993, "Speedy" has been featured in at least one more car show since I was last on-line, but I've had to forego sharing on RL. I'm not very good at being an adult; I'm in serious withdrawal from my 993 & Speedster passions & RL friends.
... Luckily, fellow enthusiast just e-mailed with the one update worthy of getting me back back on-line briefly.

Related: while enthusing over Speedy at Gordon McCall's Motorworks Revival last month in Monterey, CA, a Porsche PCNA friend generously & unexpectedly said I'd be the first he'd contact regarding this, but only after Porsche made an official announcement ...standing by!
]

^^ OK, enough preamble Back to what you're here for:

USA Today's "Hold your breath: Porsche unveils new 911 Speedster"
Originally Posted by USA Today
The new $204,000 rear-wheel-drive roadster is two inches lower than the rest of the 911s, has a more raked windshield and has a rag top.

Besides stirring souls, Porsche hopes to whip up nostalgia. It says:
Originally Posted by Porsche Auto Group
In 1953, the Speedster series was launched as purist sports car based on the Porsche 356. New York Porsche importer Max Hoffman envisioned a lightweight 356 cabriolet that would look and perform in America like no other sports car. The car Porsche created had two sports bucket seats, doors with slide-in plastic windows and a shortened, elegantly curved windscreen and proved to be quite popular, especially in southern California.

In 1988, the second Speedster, this time based on the 911 Carrera, celebrated its revival with an added feature: the characteristic double bubbles. In 1993/1994, the next evolutionary stage of the 911 Carrera was ushered in with the third Speedster edition.
It will come in that sky blue color, but if you insist, Porsche will make the 911 Speedster in white at no extra charge. Want another color? Sorry.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:35 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ Holy C*ap, you woke him up. I TOLD you guy's to keep it down ....
Old 09-21-2010, 06:49 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

2011 "Speedster" in a nutshell: For an extra $100K over a "regular" Carrera 2S, you get it lowered a little, a different windshield, a lid for the top, and a few parts from the bin, like different carpeting, badging, sills and headlights".

What does this thing weigh? Speedster, indeed.

I'd rather have a 993, or even a 964 Speedster over this.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

I'd rather have a 993, or even a 964 Speedster over this.
Agreed!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:10 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Me? I'd like 2 89 Speedsters (1 NB, 1 WB), a 964 Speedster, a 993 Speedster, and one of the new ones. I'm dreaming.......might as well dream big.

I LOVE the new car.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default black '930' stone guards

Originally Posted by JPP

^^^ Holy C*ap, you woke him up. I TOLD you guy's to keep it down ....
^^

I know, right? I keep looking for life's "pause" button 'til this darn degree's done

From RLer pongobaz' "Just announced: New 911 Speedster" Rennlist Canada Forum thread...

Old 09-21-2010, 08:31 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Food for thought for RLer kjr914 (Keith)...

From MarkD's "Stone Guards, before and after pix" thread:
Originally Posted by kjr914

Has anyone ever put black stone guards on a non-black 993, ala the original 911 Turbos (~1976 to ~1989)? That look still blows me away every time I see it. Pic of a 993 with black stone guards?
Originally Posted by curve lover
Keith-- Hope this helps. More where it came from, if ya like.

Not only kinda what you're asking for, but ...
Cactizz-colored: Can-Can with white!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^

I know, right? I keep looking for life's "pause" button 'til this darn degree's done
Oh. I thought you knew .... Just turn the dial to 'S' and punch the red button in the middle for what your lookin' for ... (thanks Shaun ...;-) ... but you better honk first, or those peeps in the window are gonna be REAL SURPRISED ...
Old 09-21-2010, 09:27 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP

Just turn the dial to 'S' and punch the red button in the middle for what your lookin' for ... (thanks Shaun ...;-)
... but you better honk first, or those peeps in the window are gonna be REAL SURPRISED ...

[img]http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/jagers_button.jpg[img]
I know both those peeps, & neither would look as good splattered on the 918's hood
Always great to see Shaun's shots, especially when it reminds me of the blast we had together with other RLers, PCA, & friends at PCNA's "invitation only" viewing in Monterey last month.
[Speedy saved a space for you ... but the "WB 993 cab" parking spot went unfilled ]

Hilarious that you titled Shaun's photo "Jäger's Button"
As long as I have the 918 Spyder prototype it's attached to, RLers can 'push my button' anytime (so to speak)

From RLer LVDell's "PCNA unveils the 911 Speedster" 996 Forum thread...

Old 09-21-2010, 10:33 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by timothymoffat

I'd like 2 89 Speedsters (1 NB, 1 WB), a 964 Speedster, a 993 Speedster, and one of the new ones.
Speedy says she'd love for you to have a 993 Speedster, too
...wait, what?!

Originally Posted by timothymoffat

I LOVE the new car.
Never guessed you as a fan of blue cars

Old 09-21-2010, 11:05 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

I saw the Speedster add on my email from PCA and immediately thought to myself I would not trade the 993 or older 911's for any of the latter designs. I wonder when those guys/gals at Porsche design will finally get it right again.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:06 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

[Speedy saved a space for you ... but the "WB 993 cab" parking spot went unfilled ]
You know Hilde and me would have been there if we could have ... Speedy can't take this stuff personally. Tell him (or her) I can't explain on a public forum, but one day, we will have a candid conversation about the reasons for our absence ....

Hilarious that you titled Shaun's photo "Jäger's Button"
I tries ... I tries ....

As long as I have the 918 Spyder prototype it's attached to, RLers can 'push my button' anytime (so to speak
Well, if you get your A** on the road now, there would be no need to push that button to make it to the FDM BBQ on Saturday ...

Last edited by JPP; 09-22-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wink Not that there's anything wrong with that, as Jerry would say...

DISCLAIMER: the following is only to be read knowing it is to be preceded by 1,000 & icons...
Originally Posted by JPP
Tell him I can't explain on a public forum, but
"Him"?! Gender confusion? Like your Hilde, Speedy's a SHE ... see above post #70, & dozens more on this lil' diddy.
With her wide curves, nobody said your Hilde had a man's rumpus...
Originally Posted by JPP
one day, we will have a candid conversation about the reasons for our absence ....
Good call, or perhaps "Off Topic Forum" for discussing sensitive operations like gender reassignment surgery
you titled Shaun's photo "Jäger's Button"
RLers can 'push my button' anytime (so to speak
Originally Posted by JPP
Well, if you get your A** on the road now
Suddenly not thrilled to have you addressing my A**
Originally Posted by JPP
push that button to make it to the BBQ on Saturday ...
Now talk of pushing my button ... in the same sentence as wanting my meat at the BBQ

All due apologies to JP who was warned in above page-starting post that I'm not good at being an adult
Old 09-22-2010, 12:38 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP

get on the road now to the BBQ on Saturday ...
In all seriousness, I'd love to. Plus, I hink I owe MarkD & friends some beverages
However, Speedy's already been invited by RLers to Los Gatos, CA's "Autos on the Ave" this weekend.
Sadly, the reality's that I have aforementioned "passing grade" to worry about toward advanced degree.

With your literary diversion, you almost got me to fall for your smoke screen, though, trying to shift the focus to me, the one who shipped Speedy to Monterey the last two years + Dana Point, San Francisco, etc.
Nice try from a dude that couldn't make it down from his CA home of Hilde to Monterey to meet the kid from CO

Oh, wait, back to the seriousness & away from the sarcasm (sorry, I easily relapse):
The only way my CA trek would have been better last month is if I'd been able to meet up with you & Hilde (+ MarkD, DCDude, RJT, race911, etc.; barely missed TimM's US excursion, too).
No worries, I'm definitely the one to understand that life can get in the way.
However, next year during Monterey's Aug 2011 Car Week, let's either meet in Thomas, WV, or in CO, waddyasay?

Old 09-22-2010, 12:44 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

"Him"?! Gender confusion? Like your Hilde, Speedy's a SHE ... see above post #70, & dozens more on this lil' diddy.
(Thanks Andreas)

With her wide curves, nobody said your Hilde had a man's rumpus...
(Thanks Jason)

Good call, or perhaps "Off Topic Forum" for discussing sensitive operations like gender reassignment surgery

Suddenly not thrilled to have you addressing my A**

Now talk of pushing my button ... in the same sentence as wanting my meat at the BBQ
(Thanks Rennlist person ...)

Hm. Colorado in the summertime .... (Janis' cover of 'Summertime' kicks in faintly in the background ....)

.... and now, back to our original programming ...

Quick Reply: Porsche pertinent: Speedster revival.