Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How far do you drive to get your car repaired and serviced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts
Default How far do you drive to get your car repaired and serviced?

My mechanic just moved to a location that would normally be outside of my comfort zone of driving for repair work...about 50 minutes from my home. When I heard they were in Springfield VA (I live in Gaithersburg MD) I thought, no way. It was bad enough driving to Fairfax VA for this mechanic when my Maryland indies stopped working out for me. Springfield is much furthur away, and most of my Maryland friends that don't own a Porsche would be shocked if I was driving that far for car repair. They wouldn't understand. On a positive note, the paint shop that I use for bodywork is MUCH closer to my new home now after moving "up-county" near their shop.

How far do YOU drive for your Porsche car repair? Recently I heard a story about a local gent that was given a VERY high price for a top end build and he ended up getting his work done way up north and left it there for a couple of weeks and then either flew back to get it. This northeast shop charged him thousands of dollars less. I would have done the same! Saving thousands of dollars on a repair like that could be the difference for some of us in keeping or selling a car. At a minimum, it would mean more money for other mods.

My new shop quoted me $10k for a top end rebuild so maybe I too one day may be taking that same trip up north.

Steve R
Old 10-31-2008, 12:28 AM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The farther away you are, the less they can hear you cry...

I think that a well known close by mechanic would feel more compelled to do a quality job (or you will show up constantly)
Old 10-31-2008, 12:29 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

About 45 miles and well worth it.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:31 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

0 miles. Couldn't fathom anyone touching my babies....
Old 10-31-2008, 12:32 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

The fear of ridiculous repair costs kept me from the joy of owning a 911 for years but if you find the right "indy" or the right friends or just do it yourself you are gold! Call me if that passenger window fails you and I will save you hundreds
Old 10-31-2008, 12:45 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I live 125 miles from the nearest quality indy Porsche shop., just the cost of living in a small town!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:54 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

My wrench is about 40 miles away. Hey, Chuck - how are you??? I hope you are doing well. Take care.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:07 AM
Butzi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30 walkable blocks (2.1 miles) to The Stable.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Recently I heard a story about a local gent that was given a VERY high price for a top end build and he ended up getting his work done way up north and left it there for a couple of weeks and then either flew back to get it. This northeast shop charged him thousands of dollars less.
To answer your question, I think this is a fine idea. For an oil change? No.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:42 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In San Francisco - I drove 40+ miles to Sunnyvale, for 20 years.
In London - I drove 25 miles, for 3+ years.
In NYC - currently driving about 20 miles.

You go as far as your comfort level dictates.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:48 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Call me if that passenger window fails you and I will save you hundreds
Cool, I will! It would be a good excuse to visit Mountville PA and my Boxster S owning uncle in York, PA.

The mechanic who did the alignment the other day after the suspension upgrade "we" did said the passenger window seemed fine, and was travelling up and down ok. It's hit or miss when it won't go back up, so when it's totally fried, I'll PM you.

To everyone else that replied so far, I'm finding your answers interesting. To the gent who's mechanic is 125 miles away, ... wow, and I thought my 32 mile, 45 minute trek to Springfield VA was alot.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 10-31-2008, 02:06 AM
Toddimus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agreed! Do-it-yourselfer all the way!

Originally Posted by jmarch
0 miles. Couldn't fathom anyone touching my babies....
+1

I'm on my 5th 911 over the years, and have only paid somebody to do things like tire mounting, alignment, A/C work and once a cam timing job about 15 years ago (done by an indie named Wolfgang). Usually it's because I just can't justify buying the specialized expensive tools for a given job.

I'm not afraid of the machine. It's just a machine. I have enough tools, experience and information resources to do it myself.

In fact, tomorrow I'll dress up in my usual Halloween costume: "a Porsche mechanic". A real, blue grease monkey jumpsuit with a Porsche patch above the breast pocket.

In reality, the only reason I can justify (to myself) owning a Porsche is the fact that I can and will do the work on it myself. "Do It Yourselfing" isn't for everybody, but it can be quite rewarding (and surprisingly economical).

Cheers
Old 10-31-2008, 08:15 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
My mechanic just moved to a location that would normally be outside of my comfort zone of driving for repair work...about 50 minutes from my home. When I heard they were in Springfield VA (I live in Gaithersburg MD) I thought, no way. It was bad enough driving to Fairfax VA for this mechanic when my Maryland indies stopped working out for me. Springfield is much furthur away, and most of my Maryland friends that don't own a Porsche would be shocked if I was driving that far for car repair. They wouldn't understand. On a positive note, the paint shop that I use for bodywork is MUCH closer to my new home now after moving "up-county" near their shop.

How far do YOU drive for your Porsche car repair? Recently I heard a story about a local gent that was given a VERY high price for a top end build and he ended up getting his work done way up north and left it there for a couple of weeks and then either flew back to get it. This northeast shop charged him thousands of dollars less. I would have done the same! Saving thousands of dollars on a repair like that could be the difference for some of us in keeping or selling a car. At a minimum, it would mean more money for other mods.

My new shop quoted me $10k for a top end rebuild so maybe I too one day may be taking that same trip up north.

Steve R
yo bud...I've driven to Fredericksburg, which is quite a ways south of Springfield to have work done on pig, oh..and we're 10 mins apart...
Old 10-31-2008, 08:17 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

btw, I take my car 5 mins away to have to oil changed, so 10 mins from you at Roger.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 911
My wrench is about 40 miles away. Hey, Chuck - how are you??? I hope you are doing well. Take care.
Thanks Rich... all is well. We need another PCH meet!

Quick Reply: How far do you drive to get your car repaired and serviced?