Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far do you drive to get your car repaired and serviced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 PM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW!
You guys seem to be very lucky in that you've got expertise close at hand , I envy that!
I'm trying to do some DIY for the first time in my (middle aged!) life , and I'm loving it .. So far I've changed out my exhaust for an RSR , and done various bits like the oil cooler resister , but I wouldn't trust myself to look after the longterm well being of my pride and joy.
So I drive 20 miles (takes an hour) to the ferry , the ferry crosses the Irish Sea to the UK in 4 and a half hours , I then have a 2-3 hour drive to get here .. www.hartech.org , close to Ma nchester.Check the site out , full details of the lifetime warranty I'm on , and great buyers guides are all well worth a read .
If you don't have time to go thru the site then here in a nutshell is the ... Why do I do it?
Well there are good guys in Ireland (not the OPC imo.. Sorry ) but these guys are THE BEST .. They have my car on a lifetime warranty and I pay a monthly fee , and then once a year they go thru my car with a fine tooth comb , recommending stuff that needs to be done in order to keep the car in peak condition (it's in their interest that my car runs smoothly for the year so I pay monthly but they don't get to see me for 12 months and that suits me too!) , any problems , top end builds , gearbox builds , these guys do the work as part of the service , I just pay for the parts , they provide the man hours , and also included is the annual service be it big or small. So think it's well worth traveling to another country to have my car looked after .. Am I crazy!!?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Smiles
Pro

In my humble opinion, it's definitely worth driving further for better (and more competent) service.

I have an authorized Porsche dealer about a mile away from me. I blow right past it and find the second closest, which is about 20 miles from me.

I would easily drive the 50 miles others have mentioned. The dealer closest to me proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what a bad dealership can do to harm your beloved car.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:56 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by shamrock
WOW!
You guys seem to be very lucky in that you've got expertise close at hand , I envy that!
I'm trying to do some DIY for the first time in my (middle aged!) life , and I'm loving it .. So far I've changed out my exhaust for an RSR , and done various bits like the oil cooler resister , but I wouldn't trust myself to look after the longterm well being of my pride and joy.
So I drive 20 miles (takes an hour) to the ferry , the ferry crosses the Irish Sea to the UK in 4 and a half hours , I then have a 2-3 hour drive to get here .. www.hartech.org , close to Ma nchester.Check the site out , full details of the lifetime warranty I'm on , and great buyers guides are all well worth a read .
If you don't have time to go thru the site then here in a nutshell is the ... Why do I do it?
Well there are good guys in Ireland (not the OPC imo.. Sorry ) but these guys are THE BEST .. They have my car on a lifetime warranty and I pay a monthly fee , and then once a year they go thru my car with a fine tooth comb , recommending stuff that needs to be done in order to keep the car in peak condition (it's in their interest that my car runs smoothly for the year so I pay monthly but they don't get to see me for 12 months and that suits me too!) , any problems , top end builds , gearbox builds , these guys do the work as part of the service , I just pay for the parts , they provide the man hours , and also included is the annual service be it big or small. So think it's well worth traveling to another country to have my car looked after .. Am I crazy!!?
That is an incredible story/saga! Forgetting the awesome journey you take to get to your repair place, I have never heard of a place in the US that has a lifetime warranty that you have. It's an interesting concept that hasn't caught on here at all (at least in my area). Has anyone heard of this deal in the US?

Thx for posting it.
Steve R
Old 11-01-2008, 08:10 AM
shamrock
Racer

Cheers Steve!
They are a great bunch of guys at Hartech , it's father and son run , and they've refused various options in the past to make em bigger as they feel they would lose the personal touch. Top marks to em I say!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

My mechanic is 25 miles away from me. I envy all of you guys who have the time to wrench your own cars. I do some of my wok but limit it to things that I can bang out in a couple of hours. Even then, sometimes it's easier to just drop the car off and have the shop take care of a list of issues/maintenance items.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default service distances

The indie shop I use, Alpine Autowerks, is a block from light rail transit. So I don't have to bother my wife for a ride. It's a 15 minute drive to get there.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Rinty
Drifting

...it's well worth travelling to another country...Shamrock
Barney: After dropping your car, do you deadhead back to Dublin with your airline, or an affiliate? Or just take a day or two off?
Old 11-01-2008, 12:24 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone heard of this deal in the US?
I don't think anybody except Baz even does it in the UK.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I travel about 90 minutes each way.
I usually trailer my car down, leave it for a week, and go back to get it.
I would love to find a closer place, but I have yet to find any one that knows 993s.
--Joe
Old 11-01-2008, 05:48 PM
shamrock
Racer

Originally Posted by Rinty
Barney: After dropping your car, do you deadhead back to Dublin with your airline, or an affiliate? Or just take a day or two off?
Hey there Rinty!
Yep , I take a jump seat back from Manchester with my airline so it's not really a hardship to get home. Hartech is just 30 minutes from the airport. The car stays with them for a week .. I've always found it doesn't pay to rush your mech ..
Btw , my plan was to take a day off and explore Manchester's fine Indian cuisine , and it's even finer selection of ales , but my wife and kids had different ideas!
Old 11-01-2008, 05:50 PM
shamrock
Racer

Originally Posted by bb993tt
I don't think anybody except Baz even does it in the UK.
This is about to change , with Porsche increasing their warranty prices there's a few indies recognising a gap in the market .. I think SRJ sportscars in Slough London has started a similar deal.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:28 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have to drive 4 1/2 to 5 hours, or 350 km's each way.
The price you pay for living in paradise I guess.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:49 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

About 1.5 miles (lucky to have a good independent shop in town).
Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Rinty
Drifting

...explore Manchester's fine Indian cuisine...Shamrock
I'd try to time it to coincide with a Simply Red concert...

...a small price to pay, for living in paradixe...993Man
And I'd be happy to pay it, to get citizenship status in NZ. I noticed your Sprint ST; brilliant bike, and perfect for your country. I rode BMW RS's for many years.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:15 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

South into the US 525 Km or 325 Miles.

Quick Reply: How far do you drive to get your car repaired and serviced?