Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: F1 spoiler!!! - What is going on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:23 PM
ste993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: F1 spoiler!!! - What is going on?

After watching a great race this morning (Spa has always been my favorite) and seeing two of the best drivers battle it out in the wet towards the end, I am simply stunned yet again that McLaren has another ridiculous penalty against them for absolutely nothing.

There is something seriously wrong at the FIA. I've been a fan and watched F1 every season since 1974 and I can't remember such a biased investigation over nothing like there was today. This penalty could decide the title with the race for the championship being so close. What a sham. Perhaps it's about time for the sport to be renamed Ferrari 1.

Shame on the FIA.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:35 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Sorry, I don't follow the sport; but wasn't McLaren the team that was recently fined $100 million for cheating? If so, it seems like they're getting some payback and bad Karma for doing so.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:38 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Totally agree with the OP, strikes me Lewis might as well stay at home and let the stewards decide who won in a board room. Still havent figure out what he was supposed to have done wrong other than try his damndest to stay on the track whilst on slicks on a wet track. Isnt the whole idea about skill?

I was outraged.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The decision wasn't any more unjust than many other ridiculous ones that have been made in F1 during the last 10 or so years. If he hadn't cut the chicane he wouldn't have have been able to overtake kimi at la source. Besides it keeps the championship alive and that's all Bernie cares about - audience.

F1 died with Ayrton IMHO
Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 PM
ste993
Pro

Originally Posted by Tuscany964
If he hadn't cut the chicane he wouldn't have have been able to overtake kimi at la source. .

(
If Kimi hadn't of closed Lewis off when he clearly had the apex then Lewis wouldn't have gone off the track. Had he of stayed on the track and fought for position then he would have bumped Kimi... like Kimi did to him in the first place! Let's not forget that Lewis was catching Kimi and would have been in the same position going onto the straight as he was when he dropped back to let Kimi through anyway and would have overtaken him just the same way he did. It's all nothing more than a racing incident. Just farcical!!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:04 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I look at the the three laps it total, as the stewards surely did, and reach the inescapable conclusion that Lewis could have passed Kimi on any corner on the last two laps. Both Ferrari drivers were on training wheels once it got wet.

Massa I can understand, but Kimi? He brought shame to every Scandinavian today.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Tuscany964
Racer

Originally Posted by ste993
If Kimi hadn't of closed Lewis off when he clearly had the apex then Lewis wouldn't have gone off the track. Had he of stayed on the track and fought for position then he would have bumped Kimi... like Kimi did to him in the first place! Let's not forget that Lewis was catching Kimi and would have been in the same position going onto the straight as he was when he dropped back to let Kimi through anyway and would have overtaken him just the same way he did. It's all nothing more than a racing incident. Just farcical!!

I agree it's farcical and as I said there have been many other similar episodes in recent F1. But I don't think Kimi did anything wrong, if anything it was a great piece of defensive driving. It's Lewis' problem to get in front of him and seeing as the McLaren was superior in those conditions he could have been a bit more patient. Racing incidents haven't existed for quite a while now...
Old 09-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Tuscany964
Racer

Originally Posted by RallyJon
I look at the the three laps it total, as the stewards surely did, and reach the inescapable conclusion that Lewis could have passed Kimi on any corner on the last two laps. Both Ferrari drivers were on training wheels once it got wet.

Massa I can understand, but Kimi? He brought shame to every Scandinavian today.
That's a bit harsh. In those conditions it was just a lottery. When Lewis made mistakes he was lucky and got away with them Kimi didn't but it could have gone either way. Also, maybe the ferraris didn't handle as well as the McLarens in those conditions did you consider that?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Reynard38
Pro

FIA= Ferrari's Interests Always.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:19 AM
McQueen993
Instructor

I think both drivers are at fault (remember, Kimi ran into Hamilton on a subsequent corner), but IMO the run off area isn't intended to be an escape route for aborting an aggressive overtaking attempt. Hamilton was stupid. He could have waited. His impatience made the outcome of the race debatable. Therefore, he deserves to get punished.

Had Hamilton waited, he probably would have won, fairly.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:05 AM
guards red
Racer

"Probably have won".... Two laps to go, young blokes at the wheel of 700+ horsepower racing cars, rain pouring down, split second decisions being made (all of which makes the sport worth watching) and we get to second guess them from an armchair? I guess now there's no such thing as a racing incident and every small error should be punished until only the guy with Miss Daisy in the back wins.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Tuscany964
Racer

Originally Posted by McQueen993
I think both drivers are at fault (remember, Kimi ran into Hamilton on a subsequent corner), but IMO the run off area isn't intended to be an escape route for aborting an aggressive overtaking attempt. Hamilton was stupid. He could have waited. His impatience made the outcome of the race debatable. Therefore, he deserves to get punished.

Had Hamilton waited, he probably would have won, fairly.
+1

You said it better than I did.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:21 AM
McQueen993
Instructor

Originally Posted by guards red
"Probably have won".... Two laps to go, young blokes at the wheel of 700+ horsepower racing cars, rain pouring down, split second decisions being made (all of which makes the sport worth watching) and we get to second guess them from an armchair? I guess now there's no such thing as a racing incident and every small error should be punished until only the guy with Miss Daisy in the back wins.
Very funny, but remember that the collision that may have had the biggest impact on this championship occurred in the pit lane because Golden Boy can't tell red from green. That's fantastic driving.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:33 AM
guards red
Racer

So can I take you don't think he's a fantastic driver? Your dream team, you'd take Kimi?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 AM
McQueen993
Instructor

He is a great driver. Just bad judgment. I'd take him over Kimi any day. I like LH, he just makes too many mistakes IMO.

Quick Reply: OT: F1 spoiler!!! - What is going on?