Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: F1 spoiler!!! - What is going on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The 25 seconds was for an approximation of what a drive-through penalty would have cost Lewis, but as the race was over they couldn't call him in for a drive-through.

I completely believe that if he had not passed Kimi into LaSource but rather later on that lap, say going into Eau Rouge or at the end of the Kemmel straight, then there might not have been any penalty. I'm convinced that his 'advantage' was decided by the stewards because he got by Kimi so quickly. I do not understand Kimi swinging so wide left for Eau Rouge unless he planned to 'repass' Lewis, and the strategy backfired. I was gutted for Kimi after such a great drive, but he lost it, so his end was a case of c'est la vie. As for Lewis, as another poster said why didn't race control order him to move aside because he had 'gained an advantage' and then had he not done so, all bets are off regarding ignoring and FIA mandate. I personally (just my opinion) don't think Lewis 'backed off per the spirit of the rules' but lifted ONLY enough to let Kimi ahead and then would have punted him at La Source had Kimi not swung so wide. I do not think that Lewis' lift action equated to the positions they'd have been in had he followed Kimi through the chicane, had he done so I do not believe he'd have been able to pass at La Source.

I think Lewis is a spoiled prat, but that's my personal opinion, and that has no bearing on what happened at Spa. I stopped rooting for Ferrari in 97 when the Chin tried to punt Villeneuve at Jerez, and the only time I found myself again willing on a Ferrari was last year with Kimi. I would like to see Massa win the title, if the remaining 4 races show a performance that earns it.

Quick Reply: OT: F1 spoiler!!! - What is going on?