Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I drive or ship...need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 562 Likes on 379 Posts

I'd be shocked, sir, shocked, if anyone would do a haul like that, enclosed, for less than $1500 with fuel the way it is now.
Yeah, you probably right. Closer $1500. Last car I shipped was about 900 miles and it was $900...a year ago.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Pay for my flight, & I'll come on out & drive it for you!

You really should be able to find a good transport for around $1000, or less, you are only going from midway in the country. I have shipped a few cars, one from Seattle to FL & it was only $1100, then from Seattle, to MD & it was $950.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's a daily driver, then drive it.

If it's not, I say ship it.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd really advise against shipping it open. If it were a family car maybe, but not your 993. Someone on Rennlist posted on this topic a while back: "Imagine your car on an open transport. Now imagine a huge dinosaur coming along and taking a giant sh*t on your car. That's your car on an open carrier." Again, with things being the way they are now, I still don't think you could get on an open carrier (of anyone you could actually trust) for less than $1200 or so. I did one from Minneapolis to Seattle last Nov. for $1125, enclosed with soft tiedowns. And the lower you go, the more you're bottom-feeding. I'm talking non-English-speaking folks from former Soviet states with friends in parallel businesses, in which cars go AWOL and you never see them again. There's a world out there in this business you don't want to brush up against. Trust me, I know the cost is important, but it's worth an enclosed transport from a reputable carrier.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default drive or ship

...as long as you take care...it was fine..Flatsixform
And you could pick a route that has the fewest mountain passes to cross. U haul's position is no doubt based on liability reasons, and you may be able to get additional insurance coverage for the trailer from your own underwriter.

Rinty
Old 08-03-2008, 09:32 PM
m_reagan_s
Instructor

I drove mine from Southern CA to Boston this winter and it was a wonderful experience for my wife and me...we're talking about another cross county trip in fact. There are lots of posts on the subject here that I'm sure you'd benefit from.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd drive if it was me.......the reason I bought my 993 was to spend time driving it on the open road with the appropriate detour or two thrown in and it sounds like you have a great drive to consider taking .

But I also agree that you should only use an enclosed hauler if you go that route..............ZP44
Old 08-03-2008, 11:31 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the car there and have the wife really working by both selling the house and the car . When you get to your new location put the $1800 plus you saved on the transport and put it toward a 993tt so you can start the new job on the right foot.

Well you ask for ideas good luck with your new job .

Cheers Guy
Old 08-04-2008, 12:25 AM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
A car transport company like Autobahn (no affiliation...just top of mind at the moment) or other would cost about $1000 and would ensure it's transported correctly (enclosed).
Ship it.

$1000.00? Maybe two years ago. I shipped my 993 Via Fed-Ex from the KC area to Flagstaff last May and it cost $1200.00.
Add another 500 miles to San Diego and it will easily total $1700.00 or more.
I transport 1m lbs of steel weekly nationwide and freight costs doubled in the past year.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:50 AM
fullbooker
Racer

I shipped my 993 from FL to CA using DAS (the Ebay shipper) They said that their policy for cars like this is to use a enclosed trailer. Cost was about $1200, but that was two years ago. I have used DAS on three occasions and other than being a few days late with two of the cars, (Porsche was a week early!) everything was fine. I would see what they would charge you.
Phil
Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Buy a trailer and then sell it when you get there. Car dollies also work well and are cheaper.
Or, do the right thing and drive it out early then fly back for the truck.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Car dollies are cheap, and light, but not recommended for a Porsche. A 993 is supposed to be towed with all four wheels off the ground.
--Joe
Old 08-04-2008, 02:06 AM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
And you could pick a route that has the fewest mountain passes to cross. U haul's position is no doubt based on liability reasons, and you may be able to get additional insurance coverage for the trailer from your own underwriter.

Rinty
Agreed, I would go the southern route so I don't have to deal with I-70 in CO. Good idea on added insurance.

Originally Posted by briefescape
Leave the car there and have the wife really working by both selling the house and the car . When you get to your new location put the $1800 plus you saved on the transport and put it toward a 993tt so you can start the new job on the right foot.

Well you ask for ideas good luck with your new job .

Cheers Guy
Love the idea! Too bad the difference between a C4S and a tt is more like $18,000!

Originally Posted by Group911@aol.com
Buy a trailer and then sell it when you get there. Car dollies also work well and are cheaper.
Or, do the right thing and drive it out early then fly back for the truck.
I thought about the trailer but I don't want the headache of selling it and something affordable would be older which would add me having to worry about the condition of the trailer. No go on the dolly for 2 reasons. One, I have a C4S and don't want to disconect the driveline; and two, I would personally never tow a Porsche by two wheels as it's way too low to be done safely in my opinion. Thanks for the ideas though...all much appreciated!

I'm leaning towards towing with the auto transport. I've done a lot of research today and feel very confident it can be done safely...I'll let you know what I decide. Thanks all!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
1. Have my wife drive my truck while I drive the 993 (cost would be gas and wear and tear items like gas/oil change needed sooner/ etc which would come to around $450.
I would strongly recommend option 1.

I drove my 993 from Indianapolis to Pittsburgh when I bought it a few months ago. I wish it had ben further. Driving your new car home is a wonderful opportunity to get familiar. It's actually a really great bonding experience.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Drive it, a long trip with the Porsche–Yes!

Drive the truck out with the fox, then fly back, pick up the Porsche and bring the cabbage and the chicken.

Quick Reply: Should I drive or ship...need advice!