Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I drive or ship...need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I drive or ship...need advice!

Hey guys,

I'm having some issues with how to transport the 993 for my upcoming move from KC to San Diego. I'll be headed out to start the new job in a couple weeks while my wife will be back in KC wrapping up and selling the house.

Initially, I was going to tow the 993 behind my truck on a trailer but I discovered today that my truck is 100lbs too light to handle the combination (per Uhaul, I tried to get around it trust me, long story!). My wife and I are driving out to SD in two weeks together which leaves me with two options:

1. Have my wife drive my truck while I drive the 993 (cost would be gas and wear and tear items like gas/oil change needed sooner/ etc which would come to around $450); or
2. Bite the bullet and spend the $1700 to have it shipped by fed ex (best price I found for a closed reputable shop).

Advice? Other options I am missing (it's not an option to wait until the house sells...I need my car!) I am getting some moving assistance but it will likely just cover moving expenses and gas...the $1700 would go over and come out of my pocket.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:10 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 562 Likes on 379 Posts

A car transport company like Autobahn (no affiliation...just top of mind at the moment) or other would cost about $1000 and would ensure it's transported correctly (enclosed).
Old 08-02-2008, 06:32 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Ship it.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be shocked, sir, shocked, if anyone would do a haul like that, enclosed, for less than $1500 with fuel the way it is now.

I assume you've tried all the usual suspects: Intercity, DeMoise, etc. ?
I would still ship it with a reputable carrier for the peace of mind. You have enough other things to think about right now. Just my $.02.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my last move I shipped with Autobahn. It was expensive, but worth the cost for the piece of mind. Here is another option, for about $2000-$2500 you can buy an open car hauler. A friend in PCA sold a year old car hauler for $900, so check your paper it might just be cheaper to buy a car hauler and move it yourself.
--Joe
Old 08-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surely you need a trailer for hauling the car to the track, don't you?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:45 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Surely you need a trailer for hauling the car to the track, don't you?
I like where your head is at Only problem is I won't have anywhere to put a trailer for a long while so I don't think this one will work out. I've been getting some more quotes and the cheapest seems to be $1400 from Hilton Transport but most are 1500+. I've never heard of them, you guys have any experience with them? I think they outsource to Ace Auto Transport. I would rather sign on with a company that does there own work I think.

Still pondering...thanks for the feedback
Old 08-03-2008, 01:53 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Why isn't your new employer paying for ALL moving expenses. This is pretty much industry standard for making the right hire. And one months salary is usually given in addition to help off-set unforseen expenses like this. Renegotiate your package.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default drive or ship

Are moving expenses for a job change deductible from personal income in the U.S.?

Rinty
Old 08-03-2008, 02:05 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
Are moving expenses for a job change deductible from personal income in the U.S.?

Rinty
Un-reimbursed job related expenses can be deducted, but there are a lot of rules & limits and it is not a dollar-for-dollar refund.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:18 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Why isn't your new employer paying for ALL moving expenses. This is pretty much industry standard for making the right hire. And one months salary is usually given in addition to help off-set unforseen expenses like this. Renegotiate your package.
In a perfect world, yes this would be the case but I'm still a young pup in the work world and this is not an "executive" or "Class A" move...more of a Class B move meaning that all my costs are covered if I use the more affordable methods. Thanks for the insight though!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

What tow rig do you have that is too light according to Uhaul?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:38 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Adam, What about having the pickup shipped and take a drive with wife in the 993?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
I like where your head is at Only problem is I won't have anywhere to put a trailer for a long while so I don't think this one will work out. I've been getting some more quotes and the cheapest seems to be $1400 from Hilton Transport but most are 1500+. I've never heard of them, you guys have any experience with them? I think they outsource to Ace Auto Transport. I would rather sign on with a company that does there own work I think.

Still pondering...thanks for the feedback
I would certainly stick with a known good carrier, one of those whose name is regularly mentioned in these forums (search). That includes the couple I mentioned, but probably limits the choices to no more than a handful. Going east-west, you should have more options than going north-south - plus, going to SoCal is good because they should be able to get a load out once they drop you off, so they'll be more interested. I've shipped probably 6 or 7 vehicles over the past few years for myself and family members, and believe me, the extra money is worth it. I've had experiences all across the range. In a year from now, you won't remember that you had to pay a couple hundred extra bucks for the good outfit, but you will remember the bad experience if you go cheap and things go bad.

Yes, I would definitely stay away from anyone who says they're going to contract to someone else, and for gawd's sakes, stay away from the brokers.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:51 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Van1
What tow rig do you have that is too light according to Uhaul?
1999 Toyota Tacoma extended cab, v6, 4x4...it's only off by 60lbs on curb weight to reach their magic number of 3500 lbs but Uhaul won't budge. I'm tempted to pick it up with a friends truck and then swap to my truck for the pull; however, I would only do this if I was 100% sure it would be safe for the occupants and car...bad things can happen if you are stupid about towing. The truck is rated to pull 5000 lbs and the car+trailer come out to 5125lbs. I pulled a load 800 miles of that weight before and as long as you take great care in balancing the load and are safe about speeds it was fine.

Originally Posted by FGL28
Adam, What about having the pickup shipped and take a drive with wife in the 993?
We did a FL to KC trip this year, it was great fun but I'm trying to avoid the miles/wear tear on the car if I can. Good thought though as I could ship the truck open for under $1000.

Quick Reply: Should I drive or ship...need advice!