Sponsored by:

Got Diss'd yesturday......

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:54 AM
swing2hard
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got Diss'd yesturday......

Picking up my daughter at the high school soccer practice & turning the corner to go into the parking lot there were a couple of high schoolers there on the corner, I had the top down since it was beautiful out & one of the girls said "look at him he thinks he's so cool in his midlife crisis car" I stopped right there & said "No! its just a bitchin fun car & quit being a hater & besides your daddy wishes he had one too!" that shut her up. I just thought that funny & had to share.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:02 AM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

when I read that I laughed pretty hard. I know what you mean - these guys at work give me a hard time about my car everyday. it gets old, but I know that they are jealous because their wives stick them with a '93 Teal Civic which is half rusted - oh well. What can I say, we just love our cars
Old 07-25-2008, 11:16 AM
swing2hard
Advanced

Porsche Haters! my business partner has a 96 C2 & he has actually gone into a store & come out & had eggs thrown at his car & dripped thru the tail into the motor, nasty!

Last edited by swing2hard; 07-25-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: wanted to add something
Old 07-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Cassandra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it matters what age or gender you are, either -we all get the haters from time to time.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:54 AM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I can't stand it when people call it a midlife crisis car. I just always wanted one but had to wait till I could afford a 13 year old model. Fortunatley, it's a 993. Plus wait till the kids are grown. It is mostly jelousy.
I also explain that they would never understand unless they drove one and they're not driving mine.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejam
Yeah, I can't stand it when people call it a midlife crisis car. I just always wanted one but had to wait till I could afford a 13 year old model. Fortunatley, it's a 993. Plus wait till the kids are grown. It is mostly jelousy.
I also explain that they would never understand unless they drove one and they're not driving mine.
+1. I get the mid-life crisis crap all the time as well. Folks who have known me a long time, know it is something I've always wanted, so they don't do it.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:46 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My best comeback to kids like that is to mention I've had at least one of these since I was 18.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Is the mid-life crisis really buying a Porsche?

I think my mid-life crisis will hit when I actually get affected by what a child who is simply acting out says. A child who probably doesn't even drive yet and knows very little about the world. A child who probably thinks the two best musicians of all time are Britney Spears and Miley Cyrus. Personally, I'd give it the same amount of weight as a dog who growls and barks when I walk by its fence; I could care less.

Your car is great.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:04 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's OK her midlife crisis one day will be weighing 30lbs more then she does right now driving an outdated minivan with a bunch a screaming kids in the car.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, I've had my share as well. Once some guy pulls up and rolls down his window to call me an a##hole. I was actually driving the speed limit and just cruising around. The same day, some guy was kind enough to stop and let me pull out of a parking lot ....... so he could flip me the bird?? I was driving my red 993 at the time. I don't get that kind of response in my current car which is black......I kind of miss the old red car days.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:41 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sheesh, will you grow up and go get yourself a respectable four door boring sedan. Perhaps something along the lines of a Crown Vic? Who do you think you are anyway, a 20-something year old racecar driver or something? So immature.

Good for you. All I can say is seriously you must consider the source. There are so many idiots out there young and old. I try to navigate through life and try not to be reactionary toward people like that. Virtually impossible. I probably would have said something like, "Its amazing how perceptive you are. You totally have me figured out! Amazing!" Agreeing with people like that mocks them and makes them feel ridiculous (assuming they have the mental capacity to understand that they got "dissed" back a thousand-fold.)

Originally Posted by TYNUSKT
That's OK her midlife crisis one day will be weighing 30lbs more then she does right now driving an outdated minivan with a bunch a screaming kids in the car.
Dude, thats hysterical and probably very, very true....
Old 07-25-2008, 01:54 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Once you get the important things out of the way, like your career on track and buy a house, it's more like mid-life affordabiity than crisis.

Sometimes, the a-hole shoe fits. There will always be a highly visible contingent of agressive, young money doods (law, medicine, investment banking? sorry, present company excluded) who enjoy leasing a "Porsh" that's faster than their buddies' M3s when they can't justify a Ferrari (though the new "California" has me paying attention!) They aren't enthusiasts and they aren't on forums. After 36 months, their P-car "passion" migrates to the next shiny new darling. This year, it's Skyline. Next year, it's something else.

I'd just be pleased that someone cared enough to notice an old 12 year old car. Since I'm not the guy described above, I consider it a compliment.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:02 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

I've got to agree with dcdude that there ARE some Porsche owners that are in it as a mid-life thing. So are some owners of Corvettes, Ferraris etc. Some people will hate you for driving a big SUV, others for driving a Prius. As far as I am concerned people can think what they want and I'll just laugh at them...It really makes no difference to me.

Last edited by 2Many Cars; 07-25-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:46 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm young and having a 993 attracts all kinds of attention. I feel your pain. It usually doesn't bother me, but when it occurs at the work place, I get a little irked.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:53 PM
allill
Drifting

There are haters everywhere you look, I hate driving the 993 because of them. When I first got the car, I had a pair of scissors stuffed into one of my rear tires while taking my girl at the time to get her hair done. A year after my top got stabbed a few times. A few years back, I was driving my 00 Deville looking for parking by a night club and some hater yelled out "it's a rental" and got giggles from his friends. I reversed and checked him on it. He didn't want none. I was dumb and should've just kept driving.

Quick Reply: Got Diss'd yesturday......