Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I have a small *****.

There, I said it.
Wrong Noah,

That is why one buys a Ferrari.

I grew up with them and was infected early. I took my driving test in a 73 911T. Needless to say I am hooked.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

The fascination with Porsches begain as a kid. A neighbor had an early Seventies, maybe a 73 911 and Man... that car had the coolest sound when the driver got on it. The hook was set. After a few VW Beetles, a '65, '69, '70 and '74 it was onto a '73 Porsche 914 2.0. Years later I'd order a '87 Porsche 944 driving the car for 10 years before ordering the '98 993 which I own today. Hey, when something works - right! The 993 is like an old shoe..

Waiting for the 998 to be something.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sold the airplane, bought 2 Porsches and have $$ left over. Porsches are cheap to maintain compared to airplanes....
Old 07-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

For the same reason I prefer dating models...
Oh wait... may be models date me because of the car... Oh nooooooo !! I have been abused.

Seriously, the sound (996 with PSE only), the handling, the way it looks, the sensation, the tightness and the fact that not everybody has one, which makes it a bit exclusive...
Old 07-20-2008, 03:52 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I first remember 911's with the IROC series. Didn't pay too much attention until the 930 came out. Couple of years later I'm licensed, and have a Scirocco. Last semester of my senior year in high school I took computer class again since I'd run out of classes to take. The new teacher had a T5 Super 90 Roadster. He brought Panorama and The Nugget (Golden Gate Region newsletter) to class. Since his primary gig was teaching remedial math, our computer class was half car talk. Looked really neat that they had all these autocrosses and time trials. Figured I'd try to find whatever 911 $6K could buy. A month after I was out of high school I'd found a really good '68 Coupe a guy who'd just graduated from Cal was trying to move along since he was going to travel the world for awhile. (That I'd broken the really weird combination of engine parts 3 months later, necessitating my jumping into a rebuild turned out to be a life-changer.) Always had at least one 911 in the stable since 1980.

Now if we're talking 993's. I just picked up the C4S because I saw it sitting on a used car lot. I was casually looking for a turbo, but my wife got weird with the price of entry. And the yellow car also fell in my lap. That's the one I'd keep over all the others, since today you can't use 60% of what even a stock car can do on the street.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:05 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

When I was younger I watched a movie (Flash Dance) with a black 930 in it and I said that is a cool car. Started researching Porsche and said this is what I will be driving when I am old enough to drive, granted, my parents did not buy me a Porsche, however it was the 1st car that I bought for myself

Christian
Old 07-20-2008, 04:36 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friends dad had a 944 Turbo in high school. He would let me drive it because my buddy lost his license. It was mostly to run errands when we used to do odds and ends for him for extra cash. We used to forget to do things on purpose (like pick up something at the hardware store) just go out and about in it. It was a fun car the few times I drove it. Still remember when the turbo would kick in and I thought "Wow".
Old 07-20-2008, 05:05 PM
boxrbus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts

First car I can recall riding in was my dad's new 1967 VW Squareback. Grandmother's neighbor had a light blue 914 that I admired when I was 6 years old...knew a Porsche had to be in my future! Got my license and bought my dad's VW...my friend bought a used 1970 911T. Taught him how to drive a stick-shift in it and then three of us guys drove it down to California (tight, but we were teenagers). First new car was a 1985 VW Scirocco...almost twenty years later bought my first Porsche (1989 930S Cabriolet). Found a low mileage 993TT a year later...one drive and I had to have it. Wife wanted a new 2007 997S Cabriolet, but wanted a Tiptronic. Talked her into a six-speed...now it's mine! Now I'm lucky enough to have three Porsches in my garage and a french bulldog named Porsche!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:06 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was youngster, 9-10 years old, my uncle had a 1968 912 in British Racing Green (Irish Green) with tan interior. He kept it in the garage, under cover and every time we went to visit him I made him show it to me. More often than not he would start it up and take me for a spin in the valleys near Montecito, CA. The smell, the sound, and the look just touched me in way that left a life-lasting impression. When I turned 16 he let me drive it and that was it. I was done. Vowed I'd have one someday.

Fast forward to my senior year in high school...
My girlfriends mom bought a 1983 911SC and let me drive it the day she brought it home. I remember pulling into my driveway and having my father come out and look at it. We both stood there shaking our heads, mesmerized by this thing of beauty. 30 seconds later I was given strict orders to get that thing back to my girlfriend's mom...my dad didn't want the liability.

I bought a 1988 911 Coupe in 1996 with only 10,000 miles on it. I loved that car but really wanted a 993 (new at the time) but just couldn't swing it. I knew the whole time I was driving the '88 that my heart was somewhere else. I made that happen a few years ago in '05. I was looking for a clean (under 50k mile) Polar Silver C4S and after a year of searching found my dream car. I've never looked back as this is what dreams are all about. I'm blessed beyond imagination.

~Dave
Old 07-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Had an E36 BMW M3 and was bored. Wanted a C5 Z06 but wife said no way to a Vette. She didn't say no to a 993 so four years later here I am. My wife is smart!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:12 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

i grew up in the back and learned to drive a 1967 911 with an s motor straight from germany-in early 96 when i was living on the big island-i wanted a super fast and very reliable car-as good mechanics were hard to come by-though i did find a great mechanic before i left-it came down too was it worth it-oh yea every time i turn the key I still get gitty
Old 07-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Franz993
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

A 911 was a childhood dream. Many sightings and movies aided the admiration but I particularly remember the yellow targa in Commando and the black 964 turbo in Bad Boys. What made it a reality was $ means and brother's ownership experience with 2 911's. I was not sure if wife would support the idea but she even talked me into doing it!
Old 07-20-2008, 06:01 PM
bigmac
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son-in-law bought one and the sound was so sexy I needed one for therapy.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:22 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.............and now I'm hooked........

Have been a little tempted toward the dark side of the 997 recently....I'm trying to work through it
Old 07-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Some great stories guys. Whether p-car ownership is the realization of a car-guy's life-long dream or it's something that some of us just simply stumbled upon, there is no doubt the common denominator is the sheer joy these cars arouse. I'm like a little kid every time I get behind the wheel of my car...keeps me young.

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
As a teenager, I worked at a BMW shop in Va. Beach, VA. This BMW shop ocasionally worked on 911's. One winter morning I came to work, and the boss needed someone to run to the machine shop to pick up a cylinder head.

Normally, I would take my own car (Euro 323 that I miss!) to run such errands, but a black 911 had been serviced the day before and had yet to be picked up...sooooooooooooooooooo, I took it to run the errand. At 17 years old I was driving a car that was worth more $$$ than I ever thought was possible for me to earn. The acceleration and noise was intoxicating....I took the "long" way to the machine shop. I was in pure heaven!

Now the fun part....

I pull back in the bay door at the rear of the shop and see my boss freaking out. Me, being the stupid teenager I was, looked at my boss like , 'What?"

He walked over to me, came down to one knee after I opened the door and told me in a very polite way that every cop in Va. Beach was looking for this car right now: It belonged to the Mayor!

It wasn't unusual for the shop guys to take customer cars here and there, and chalk them up to "test drives".....but this was obviously a bit more serious.

In the end, it was no big deal, but I do recall my boss telling me that as long as he was alive he didn't want to see me taking any more 911's for "test drives."

When I bought my first, I emailed a picture of it to him. He called me and we both had a chuckle. The mayor of Va. Beach was, and still is to this day, Meyra Oberndorf. :-) No idea if she still owns the car....
When I had my car job at 18 during my school break, I was sent to pick up a Carrera from the Porsche dealership in Victoria. By the time time I arrived back to Vancouver, it was well past midnight on a weekday. A few quick maneuvers and all the ferry traffic was behind me with an empty hwy ahead. That was the first time I traveled at 150 MPH, taking the car to redline on fifth gear. Irresponsible and dumb but also the most exhilarating thing I've ever experienced and that was the very moment I realized I would own a 911 one day.

Last edited by Wilder; 07-21-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a Porsche?