Sponsored by:

Why did you buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 05:07 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Matt, some go to the spa to relax, others have a p-car...and RL.
Exactly .
Old 07-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In 1999, I went to WalMart and saw parked on the outskirts of the parking lot, was the most beautiful 911 of all time...with a for sale sign on it... I wasn't at all in the market for a car, knew nothing at all about Porsches...other than I had sat in an older 911 about 2 years earlier and remember it was small and smelled cool. But something about that car just grabbed me, and I couldn't shake it. Being in no position at all to spend $$,$$$ on a car...especially having no need at all for it, other than I thought it looked REALLY good...I bought it. So I guess the answer to the question as to "why" is...I liked the way it looked...and more importantly, I simply couldn't resist...seriously...I just couldn't stop thinking about the car...still can't...
Old 07-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Seriously, having a Porsche, a 3.2 Carrera, was a lifelong dream, which was surpassed by the heady intoxication of 993 ownership, which was soon supplanted by racing a rear-engined Porsche.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:18 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Always loved the looks and sound since I was a kid, American Muscle cars didn't phase me and Japanese cars felt too plain.

It's the only car I know of where I feel a bond sitting behind the wheel and comes with a set of Fuchs.

John
Old 07-19-2008, 05:48 PM
revolution993
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Watch No Man's land way too many times always love tha *** and poster on my wall's since i was born=)
So hit 22 bought my first porsche and its not over.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

For the fuel economy. I bought my first Porsche in 1974, in response to the Arab oil embargo. Don't laugh. In 1974 anything by Porsche got significantly more fuel economy than anything made in Detroit. Gee,--here it is 30 something years later and -- the same is true!
Old 07-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Here's my story. My memory goes back to as far as 5 y/o and remember being fascinated with cars. What I can't remember, my family has been able to fill the gaps and they have plenty of evidence...boxes full of drawings, toys and games, all of cars.

My older cousin (late teens) had a tricked-out beetle and I used to love going for rides. A lot of my childhood drawings were of lowered, modified beetles so I guess that's when the dunebug shape and aircooled sound first caught my attention. My best friend's dad had a beetle as well with one of the canvas full-size sunroofs and whenever he picked us up from school, we used to climb up on the seat and stick our heads out of the roof as he was driving; some nice childhood memories (yeah, I know...not safe...different times, different place and residential neighborhoods). My parents never had a Beetle or a Porsche 911 but we owned two Westfalias over the course of my childhood which we used only for camping trips, further associating rear-engined, aircooled cars with good times.

In my early teens, I subscribed to R&T and C&D. I became fascinated with performance cars. Both my parents had a very heavy foot so the craving for speed started early. Before I got a car, I got my kicks on BMX bikes, skateboards and surfboards all the while dreaming about what speed would feel like on a sports car. I remember watching Disney's Condorman and drooling over those black 930s rippin' around the French Alpes. My first car was a unfortunately a Chevy Citation, bought it when I was 15 before I got my license with my own money (dad was set on teaching me how to earn my way) and my second was a Mazda RX-7 at 17. I really wanted a red 944 but RX-7 is all I could afford. My third car was a Golf, the first of many German cars...VWs, BMWs and MBs, that preceded my first Porsche. Though I test drove them, I never again owned an American or Japanese car.

I bought my first 911, an '81 Pacific Blue targa, eleven years ago when I was 25. I loved the car but it didn't turn into fascination until car number three, a euro spec '85 930 and absolute madness until March of 06, when I bought my first 993 and joined RL. It's through the info I've read and the people I've met here, that I've learned to truly appreciate a 911. Everything from the very unique driving characteristics, to the build quality, sounds, smells, unique interior and heritage of the marquee. I've been lucky to owns some other beautiful, expensive and powerful cars in addition to my Porsches. Those cars came and went but I've also owned a total of seven 911s and can't fathom not ever owning one. 911...there is no substitute.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:33 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 415 Posts

In high school, worked at a large auto dealership and drove all sorts of vehicles including Panteras, Mercedes and sports cars of all types. A black '73 911 2.4 came on the lot and I had to move it to about three blocks to the showroom floor. I was hooked about 1/2 way into the trip.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
In high school, worked at a large auto dealership and drove all sorts of vehicles including Panteras, Mercedes and sports cars of all types. A black '73 911 2.4 came on the lot and I had to move it to about three blocks to the showroom floor. I was hooked about 1/2 way into the trip.
Funny you should say that. After high school, I took a year off to work at an highline car dealership. Much of my job was driving cars to and from other dealerships and to service garages. I got to drive numerous Ferraris, Porsches a couple of Lamborghinis some Rolls etc. I loved that job.

Originally Posted by revolution993
Watch No Man's land way too many times always love tha *** and poster on my wall's since i was born=)
So hit 22 bought my first porsche and its not over.
Favorite quote:
Q: "How about that one?" looking at a Ferrari.
A: "Italian trash, besides I only steal Porsches"
Old 07-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Avery Diamond
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terry: 'was browsing through the 993 section and saw that you got a new TT. Congratulations ! Must be a superb experience driving it, and i know you'll use it alot, just like your 993.
I was out of P-cars for a few years, now back in with a 91 964 coupe that I bought a few months ago. I just cannot stay away from air cooled coupes ( 4th in 9 years, plus a 996 ). Best wishes for now,
Avery Diamond
Old 07-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Started young here. Always interested in cars from 10 years old or earlier, subscription to R&T at about 12, and grew up on pictures of RS60s, RSKs, etc. racing, then the 904! Owned a used TR3 and an Austin-Healey in College, but my walk to the campus from my apt. took me past a VW/Porsche dealer. By the time I was a senior in college, I had my first 911, a used '68 911L, which was my 4th Porsche (2 356s, a 912, then the 911). SCCA racing followed shortly thereafter. So I guess it is a life-long dream that I have tried to live every day since those early days.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:16 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As a teenager, I worked at a BMW shop in Va. Beach, VA. This BMW shop ocasionally worked on 911's. One winter morning I came to work, and the boss needed someone to run to the machine shop to pick up a cylinder head.

Normally, I would take my own car (Euro 323 that I miss!) to run such errands, but a black 911 had been serviced the day before and had yet to be picked up...sooooooooooooooooooo, I took it to run the errand. At 17 years old I was driving a car that was worth more $$$ than I ever thought was possible for me to earn. The acceleration and noise was intoxicating....I took the "long" way to the machine shop. I was in pure heaven!

Now the fun part....

I pull back in the bay door at the rear of the shop and see my boss freaking out. Me, being the stupid teenager I was, looked at my boss like , 'What?"

He walked over to me, came down to one knee after I opened the door and told me in a very polite way that every cop in Va. Beach was looking for this car right now: It belonged to the Mayor!

It wasn't unusual for the shop guys to take customer cars here and there, and chalk them up to "test drives".....but this was obviously a bit more serious.

In the end, it was no big deal, but I do recall my boss telling me that as long as he was alive he didn't want to see me taking any more 911's for "test drives."

When I bought my first, I emailed a picture of it to him. He called me and we both had a chuckle. The mayor of Va. Beach was, and still is to this day, Meyra Oberndorf. :-) No idea if she still owns the car....
Old 07-19-2008, 08:18 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dreamed about a guards red 911 targa with a whale tail since I was a little kid. I don't recall where exactly I first saw it, possibly a model at the store, hot wheels, who knows, but it just spoke to me. Since then, I always knew I'd have one someday... I'm on my 2nd now and it's beyond my dreams!!!

My wife was very concerned when I bought my 84 as she was afraid I'd built it up to be something much larger than it could ever be. Her fears were unfounded as it exceeded my expectations and my 993 has me that much more addicted.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:02 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I was looking for a substitute for my therapist. I found the best anti-depressant man-kind had ever conjured. But don't ask my wife.

CP
Old 07-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. . . just to be able to hang out with you guys

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a Porsche?