Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have him plan for a two hour presentation

Jack
Old 07-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Academictech
You're in business for profit not revenge. Forget the guy. Let him show up, if it's the same guy, politely cancel the interview. He'll leave there with a lesson learned. You'll feel a whole lot better going home.

You're already up on the guy. The damage is paid for and you have just saved yourself from hiring a very potentially damaging bad apple.

You didn't get where you are in life by reacting to a bad sitution with another potentially bad one.
BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Where's the fun in this?

Legality of video would be taken care of quite easily with a simple waiver/release. If your supervisor is on board here, I'm sure he wouldn't mind using 15 minutes of general counsel's time to throw something together quickly.

This is the stuff of YouTube Front Page Featured Video...I'm on pins and needles till Monday!
Old 07-18-2008, 03:34 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You already know the guy is an immature and vindictive asshat so there's no way you would want him in your company.
+1

If he kicks a car for no real reason imagine what he'd do as an unhappy employee. I suspect he'll not want to stick around much after he sees you at the interview but I think I'd take the time to give him a Fatherly lecture about how irrational actions can have severe unintended consequences and that although it is in your power to seriously hurt his career you won't play the game down at his level. Perhaps he will then rethink his dislike of "fancy" car owners.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Schedule a full-days worth of interviews with others, you being the last. Let him suffer through all that, make him give the presentation to someone else, make it so you're the last hurdle of the day. Then enjoy the interview...
Old 07-18-2008, 04:24 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

You absolutely cannot cancel the interview. Too priceless. Sorry about your car.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no positive outcome here.... well except maybe for the denzions of Rennlisters who have nothing better to do than take comfort in someone elses misery.
I cannot agree with you academictech. Sometimes it's worth to loose time, it's worth not to have a positive outcome, just to enjoy the minute or may be just the second where you know that you're going to prove to your "oponent" that he lost. He might think that his act of vandalism against a car is already history, but a few days later that act is coming back straight to his face. He might think twice next time, and not hit another's car door!
Let's call it "education" on the late...
Old 07-18-2008, 05:08 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

OMG..!!!

Let me get this straight.. he's kicking your car for no apparent reason, just for the shear sport of it, you catch him and he says; he's just joking and offers to pay?

And maybe I mis-read.. did you say you grabbed his arm or broke his arm? Question for me would have been did I break it before or after he paid me... whatta *****!!!

I'd let that sucker put together the presentation and show-up on Monday.. hopefully for a closed door 1-on-1 interview, I'd make him run through the hole presentation.. then if on laptop I'd ask to see it closer and delete it! If on paper I'd take it a rip it to shreads...

I'd then press-up against the wall with fore-arm in his throat and my other hand in his crotch while calmly expaining how minor this confrontation is compared to the loss of his sack if I ever see his *** again!!

Sound Harsh? Oh well I get a wee bit upset when somone messes with my money, my family, or my car... not neccessarily in that order!!

You seem like a nice guy.. and many others have made very reasonable comments, ok so I'm not feeling reasonable today.

Good luck with it..
Old 07-18-2008, 05:35 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Think about this logically. Assuming you have some ownership in the company or you're at least near the top. Don't let this guy take up more than 1 or 2 minutes of your time on Monday. Someone has to pay for your time, the time some other employee takes to do the bogus interview, every second this character is in your place of work...you lose.

There is no positive outcome here.... well except maybe for the denzions of Rennlisters who have nothing better to do than take comfort in someone elses misery.

At the very least, you have a responsibility to your company not to let personal matters carry over into the workplace. You didn't get in the position your in doing otherwise.
I'm closer to Academictech's position.

1) Yes, this is a Hollywood-level tale of coincidence. Probably "thread of the year."

2) +3. I, too, am amazed and impressed with your composure at the scene of the crime. Not sure I would have done as well.

3) You are definitely in the catbird seat and in full control. Try not to let the "victor's justice" go to your head. I agree, focus on your personal gain rather than on how much this guy can lose.

4) The mafia saying of "don't crap where you eat," definitely applies here. Be careful. No taping (as much as I'd love to see it), presentations, or day-long interviews.

5) My personal take would be to assume his recognizing you immediately is the #1 biggest shock factor right there. Then a 1-2 minute interview with one classic interview question, more poingnant than ever:
"Why should I hire you?"
His answer would be the #2 best part of this. Of course, no answer would be sufficient, but that's all the squirming that is needed.

Last edited by dcdude; 07-19-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:40 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 263 Posts

Think about this logically. Assuming you have some ownership in the company or you're at least near the top. Don't let this guy take up more than 1 or 2 minutes of your time on Monday. Someone has to pay for your time, the time some other employee takes to do the bogus interview, every second this character is in your place of work...you lose.

At the very least, you have a responsibility to your company not to let personal matters carry over into the workplace. You didn't get in the position your in doing otherwise.
You're obviously not Silician.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:48 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Exactly!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:06 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jdistefa
LOL!!!! Still, revenge is sweet!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:18 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story.. the interview must go on.. I think he feels he got off lightly and probably has not learned his lesson. Do it for all pcar owners around the world.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:30 PM
dcdude
Drifting

A separate discussion would be of the psychological defect that would cause somebody to do this in the first place. I'm pretty sure that a fellow "car guy," even if he drove a Camaro or whatever, would never even consider harming someone else's exotic, out of respect for a fellow enthusiast, no matter what he drives.

Then there is plain old jealousy, mostly economic related. But then again, even at my most extreme starving student phase or god-forbid if I'm ever destitute, I still can't fathom touching someone else's car, let alone trying to damage it. But again, I think it's "car guy" respect. By that measure, it's safe to say that this Dublin hooligan never had an "interesting" car or ever would.

Now when it comes to just talking isht or fantasizing about what an underendowed a-hole some faceless Ferrari driver must be (Robin excepted), I'm happy to join in the smack talk!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:44 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 263 Posts

Hire Joe Pesci to do the interview. Do you hear a little girl...?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:37 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh what a story!!! I would pay money to be on that interview!!! LOL... Let us know what happened!!!!

Quick Reply: Justice