Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They're predicting gas at $7 gal next yr (oil at $200 barrel).Still keeping your 993?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Mike thats what I was thinking- First it was what kind of SUV, then his garage floor,then gas prices, then how much
animal crackers cost (How come a hippo taste the same as a Monkey??)
Crank up your Prozac I.V. dude.
Ha!
Old 05-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Tisibeast
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
CNBC's story yesterday said that $200 oil would equate to $5.50/gal. gas, where did $7 + come from? This country would shut down if thats the case. All 3 US auto makers would shut down, not being able to sell truck/suv's. Diesel would be $10 a gallon and with no pay increase, truckers would strike. This is just pure greed going on, not market or situation driven. Granted the powers that be, want to see things higher that $15 oil, but I can't believe Americans will stand for much more of this.

I could be wrong. Lets hope not Hate to think this is the new norm!
Well said - $7 a gallon gas stops this economy dead in it's tracks.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mvtm
I pay $2 to completely fill my 993 tank.While its cheaper than bottled water,we have here other majorr problems such as insecurity,to say the least.I am really sorry,you guys are having a rough time on that matter.Your not alone,we are having a nightmare with Chavez.
We've got our own nightmare up here with our President. Fortunately, we're about to wake up. I just hope that all of the Obama converts aren't disappointed if he doesn't put all the Iraq troops on a plane home the day after inauguration.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

I think we'll all get to keep our 993s even if gas is 7 beans a gallon.

$7 bucks a gallon for gas isn't nearly as bad as double digit inflation and double digit interest rates were back in the 80s. Talk about an impact on the economy and on the middle class!

As I recall, the country survived.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

BTW, if this thread goes politico, I'm moving it to OT.

(No offense to those concerned about our current regime or the potential new ones, OT is just a better forum for it)

Old 05-09-2008, 01:08 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Let's do some math. If you drive 5,000 per year at 22 mph average, a $3 a gallon increase in gas costs about $680 more per year. How much did you spend on mods last year?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:09 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta admit, I do NOT drive 55.
When she's had a good 10+ mins of 'oil warm-up time' -- I give her a good old Italian-Tune-Up - with the radio off - listening to the music behind me - as I haul a$$ from a traffic light or when peeling from a side-road onto a main highway.
When on the highway (e.g. Long Island Expressway) and traffic is 'moving' I slide her into 6th. and we're cruising at 75'ish at approx. 2600rpm.

So far, have been averaging 24mpg.

NO complaints!

Having emigrated here from Ireland - where "petrol" (when I was growing up) was 'already expensive' - I really don't pay too much mind, right now, to the cost of a fill-up. The high cost of "energy" is affecting EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. Just because you have a 'sports car' doesn't mean that you feel the 'hurt' that much more than the guy who is driving a Yugo. It all has to do with how much of a 'dent' all this is making into your own particular cost-of-living. It all has to do with how much of a 'dent' all this is making into your 'disposable income'. If you are living UNDER or WITHIN your means -- then you can 'absorb' any extra expense. Those who were/are ALREADY living beyond their means are the ones who will have to do the 'ratcheting back'.

Having grown up poor-to-middle-class, back in Ireland, (as a teen back in the 70's)-- you learned to live within your means and NOT to live on credit and if you wanted anything - you SAVED for it first and foremost! That mindset has stayed with me.

To me, it's all about budgeting. If you haven't a clue about how to 'manage' and 'balance' and 'do without one thing so that you can have another' then you only have yourself to blame when TSHTF.

Gerry
Old 05-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Ok, update from my earlier post. Due to some strikes in Greece, the base I am at didn't get any deliveries of gas this week and ran out today. I had to fill up on the economy today as I was less than a quarter tank. For 50 Euro, or $80 US, I put in 35 liters of 100 octane European gas (95-96 US standards). It was 1.429 Euro per liter which by fuzzy math works out to about $9.00 US per gallon. And all I got was about a half tank with that 50 Euro. Even the lower octanes, 95 and 96, would have been $8.00-$8.50 per gallon. So I splurged. Nice thing, in addition to the extra performance out of the V8, the fuel economy went up with the better gas.

Anyway, I am not crying over it. After living here for a year, $5-7 per gallon gas is not going to bother me in the States. So I spent $4000 a year in gas instead of $2000. Not going to break the bank.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:57 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 356 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil
If Steve"s Wife says sell the 993!!.........I bet there will be a silver 993 for sale, and a quick sale at best. I do wonder, is Steverarino allowed to drove is car?
SERIOUSLY, Some of the wives around here give us all a bad name.........

We will not be selling the 993 (or the 356) because of the cost of fuel. IF we sell either one of them (and we might... Robert has an itch AGAIN) it's because we want the $$$ to do something or have something else.

That being said, we did sell the CayenneS because of the sucky gas mileage that it got and we wanted to dump it before the car really became a gas guzzling lame duck on the used car market along with all the other gas guzzling lame duck SUV's out there............ <Whew that's a mouth full>

BTW: 993 averages 22/23 mpg and the 356 gets even better mpg
Old 05-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by g_murray

Having emigrated here from Ireland - where "petrol" (when I was growing up) was 'already expensive' - I really don't pay too much mind, right now, to the cost of a fill-up. The high cost of "energy" is affecting EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. Just because you have a 'sports car' doesn't mean that you feel the 'hurt' that much more than the guy who is driving a Yugo. It all has to do with how much of a 'dent' all this is making into your own particular cost-of-living. It all has to do with how much of a 'dent' all this is making into your 'disposable income'. If you are living UNDER or WITHIN your means -- then you can 'absorb' any extra expense. Those who were/are ALREADY living beyond their means are the ones who will have to do the 'ratcheting back'.

Having grown up poor-to-middle-class, back in Ireland, (as a teen back in the 70's)-- you learned to live within your means and NOT to live on credit and if you wanted anything - you SAVED for it first and foremost! That mindset has stayed with me.

To me, it's all about budgeting. If you haven't a clue about how to 'manage' and 'balance' and 'do without one thing so that you can have another' then you only have yourself to blame when TSHTF.

Gerry
Great post Gerry. The wise voice of experience.

If something is keeping you awake at night worrying whether your annual overhead will go up $800, you're in over your head.

Find a way to have fun within your means. Or find a way to increase your means

Life is too short to spend it worrying or arguing with your spouse over finances.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:56 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We are paying just under $10 a gallon in the UK now.......I really thought it would affect things badly, but you still see gas guzzling cars everywhere and apparently the economy is holding up?............I am suprised how people have adjusted to pay the price,,,,I thought we would have ben in Mad-max territory by now!
Old 05-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 561 Posts

I think the UK guys are talking about their Imperial Gallon, which is about 1.2 US Gallons.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:21 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My current daily driver, gets about 70mpg, fill-up once every couple of weeks
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2008, 03:22 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Correct that is the size of an imperial gallon.......even so, at $10...i don't feel it is particularly a bargain?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:26 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

More hand wringing?
Don't watch the news on TV. Sensationalism sells TV time.
Same goes for top-o-the-hour news on the radio.

The previous comment regarding oil futures driving up the price/barrel was spot on.
I'm going to go burn some refined dinosaurs in a bit...

Quick Reply: They're predicting gas at $7 gal next yr (oil at $200 barrel).Still keeping your 993?