Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They're predicting gas at $7 gal next yr (oil at $200 barrel).Still keeping your 993?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
I'm going to go burn some refined dinosaurs in a bit...
They died for a good cause
Old 05-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by clubsport1
Correct that is the size of an imperial gallon.......even so, at $10...i don't feel it is particularly a bargain?
Agreed, still painful.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:52 PM
face-ache
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes about as much sense saying "would all single guys stop having sex because the price of condoms doubled"
Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

Hi Gents

Here in the UK we are paying $10 per gallon........and we keep paying it and they, (the government), keep squeezing....... it's a very English thing to say "wotya gonna doo......" but you know what......things are starting to bite here.

I've started using my 993 at weekends and for freeway work only it's very sad, I don't believe that oil is running out, although i would agree it is a finite resource and a degree of responsibility is required, they went to war to protect our oil interests, or so some would have us believe and yet here we are paying $130 a barrel!!

They're pissing on our shoes and then telling us it's raining!!

Sheep are for shearing I guess........

Oh, by the way, any protesting or blockading of fuel depots in the UK now comes under the terrorist act 2006..........great

I don't see a lot of terrorists here in the UK, I do see a lot of Government intervention, surveillance, ID cards, paramilitary police etc etc

Love it!!

Sorry, rant over
Old 05-09-2008, 07:09 PM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
i'll keep a porsche even if oil becomes extinct.
Why would anyone here worry about gas prices or availability? As long as garages and trickle chargers don't become extinct, we have no problems. My 97 just passed 47,000 miles and I know I need to stop driving it so often lest it pass the dreaded 50,000 miles mark by about 2010.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:14 PM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
I can't help it but it just upsets me every year when the major oil companies announce their annual profits.
So buy some stock in them. Then you'll feel fine.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hello,
just for interest's sake we already pay >$A7 (Imp Gal) for 98 octane fuel here in Australia and have done for some time!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congress could solve this problem if they would give the go ahead to drill. Politicians have their heads up their A**es.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:05 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Okay, I'll chime in here...
I drive 25K miles/yr. in my DD(not p-car) that does 27 mpg.
The day that gas hits $5 bucks, I'm gonna buy a prius who can do 47mpg!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:55 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Congress could solve this problem if they would give the go ahead to drill. Politicians have their heads up their A**es.
starting from the end...........
no, they have their hands in the till !
do you really believe that first comment? Why would oil companies spend billions to build exploration rigs to drill in new locations here at home? So they can pass on cheap oil and cheap gas to us? They're making a raping on us now with the old crap in the gulf (and other locations) and pick up per barrel money of off middle east oil, whats the incentive to change that?

not flaming, just provoking thought.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Pan58
Instructor

I will just have to ride my Harley more at 45 miles per gallon
Old 05-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

At 7 bucks a gallon, it's still alot cheaper than other vices I could think of... :P
Old 05-10-2008, 12:51 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S

Would you consider dumping your gas guzzler ( MB 8-12 cyl, Escalade, Excursion, etc) if gas hits $7+ a gallon? I'm a bit nervous about this as I'd hate to sell my bimmer and... my ... 993. My 993 gets just as bad mileage as my 01 740i BMW.
if i had such a car, yes i would certainly dump it, but i never would have such a car.
i would not sell the 993 just for fuel price considerations.

i am lucky and have arranged my current work life to allow me to run or ride my bike to work every day. hey, it's only 6 miles.

as other people have said, the $7 per gallon fuel prices would effect me severely in many other ways long before i worried about pupming $7 fuel into my private car tank.
sigh

cheers

Craig
Old 05-10-2008, 01:52 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
starting from the end...........
no, they have their hands in the till !
do you really believe that first comment? Why would oil companies spend billions to build exploration rigs to drill in new locations here at home? So they can pass on cheap oil and cheap gas to us? They're making a raping on us now with the old crap in the gulf (and other locations) and pick up per barrel money of off middle east oil, whats the incentive to change that?

not flaming, just provoking thought.
<soapbox>

As someone who earns his living working for one of the major Oilfield Service Companies, I think everyone needs to realize that bringing new reserves online is a multi-year process (even when you know the hydrocarbons are there via test wells). A deep-water GOM field can take 5-8 years from initial planning to full-scale production. Onshore is much faster (2-5 years). This is why ANWAR is a great short-term answer, it is likely to be possible to bring supply in ANWAR online in the near-term (e.g. prior to 2015). Projects off of the coast of FLA and CA are much more involved, but gov't needs to permit exploration now in these areas because exploration and mapping is a 2-5 year process on-top of the drilling process. Reserves in these areas may be plentiful, but they will take 8-10 years before they would be supplying your local gas-station.

We've leashed US production by not at least permitting exploration. What needs to be done NOW is for govt to ease restrictions so new, advanced seismic survey's can be shot over ANWAR, costal CA, and coastal FLA. This is simply "priming the pump". Folks also really need to take a look at the environmental record of the industry in the US over the last decade...improvements in drilling technology have made massive strides in environmentally sensitive drilling, particularly horizontal reach wells (e.g. from one platform, we can drill many, many miles horizontally. Wells today look more like spider-webs than vertical holes in the ground. Go have a look at the OTC (offshore technology conference) website: http://www.otcnet.org/2008/ which was in Houston this week. Most folks have no clue how technologically advanced we are ;-)

You know, we all know how bad deferred maintenance is on our Porsche's -- we have been, and are, playing this game with our national resources for political expediency...this needs to end.

</soapbox>
Old 05-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Yea my GT3 will get 30 mpg if I put in in 6th gear and drive the speed limit. why in the HELL would I get rid of my 911? They have been paying $7 a gallon in Europe for a long time. Gas is just now approaching where it would be had it kept up with inflation of other goods over the last 30 years.
My BMW X5 gets 24 at best my wifes BMW Z4M gets 24 at best. The GT3 is the only econo box
in our family.
Yeah, isn't that amazing. My MkII GT3 gets 31.8 mpg at 67 mph. I do mostly in-town running and get closer to 15 mpg, but I am not a light foot driver.

I am considering building an electric car for in-town driving. My colleague at work did that, but I would build something that performs like the Tesla. I can't get away from sports cars.

Quick Reply: They're predicting gas at $7 gal next yr (oil at $200 barrel).Still keeping your 993?