Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They're predicting gas at $7 gal next yr (oil at $200 barrel).Still keeping your 993?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Alan993S
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddsiu
Here in Hong Kong, I am paying around US$130 to fill up the tank each time.
yip filled up this morning in Hong Kong and it cost me HK$1010 = US$129.8

Still driving my 993 like a demon.....
Old 05-10-2008, 12:45 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i may actually start to drive it more. I'm sure it would get better gas mileage then my Cayenne S at 13mpg. I haven't hit the $100.00 fillup in the CS yet but I am getting very close.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:29 PM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the price will go to $7 easily since everywhere else is at that price range (Did the OP mention Goldman Sachs as a respected IB?). And I am looking for a 993 right now. =) I find it a bit silly to buy a prius to save on gas when you could just buy a civic or corolla for less and get about the same MPG as the Prius. Maybe I just can't stand hybrids. Should be interesting to see how long the country will suffer with the high gas prices before it drops again like the early 90's.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:39 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by travanx
I believe the price will go to $7 easily since everywhere else is at that price range (Did the OP mention Goldman Sachs as a respected IB?). And I am looking for a 993 right now. =) I find it a bit silly to buy a prius to save on gas when you could just buy a civic or corolla for less and get about the same MPG as the Prius. Maybe I just can't stand hybrids. Should be interesting to see how long the country will suffer with the high gas prices before it drops again like the early 90's.
The today show was talking about the premium on the hybrids and at the current gas price it would take close to 7 years to recover the price difference for the Toyota highlander hybrid. Even the prius was 3 + years.

I would pass because most people don't keep their cars for that long. I agree with passing on the hybrid and go for a good ol gas car.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:11 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

My mileage has actually been getting better the last few fills, have no clue why, maybe the car likes the nicer weather (no A/C in use yet).

F*ck a bunch of hybrids and grass-fuel, I see those ethanol commercials that show 'special' grass and wonder how many drops of fuel come out of an acre and how much energy is actually used to make it. Corn is not the answer, IMHO, the real answer for the future is hydrogen fuel cells, but I'm quite happy with a tuned Cooper that gets 27mpg in daily around-town driving, and the 993 2 or 3 days a week.

I am jonesing for the DACH Xpipes and modified mufflers that are coming around the end of the month.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:02 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

It won't hit $7.00 per gallon... I'm not a fortune teller or even in the oil business, but we buy resin (plastic) byproduct of petroleum and there will be new suppliers of oil VERY soon which will (HOPEFULLY) get rid of this price elasticity Bull#$it going on now.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007DT
It won't hit $7.00 per gallon... I'm not a fortune teller or even in the oil business, but we buy resin (plastic) byproduct of petroleum and there will be new suppliers of oil VERY soon which will (HOPEFULLY) get rid of this price elasticity Bull#$it going on now.
I agree with you we are far from hitting that kind of price. I would be more worried about hitting $5 dollars for most of us than hitting $7 dollars a gallon. I have heard that there is a reserve in Pennsilvania. that will yield near what the Middle East has been supplying for years. The first thing we need to do is figure out a way to get the diesel trucks onto a new fuel source. They are burning more fuel than any of us ever will.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

From my BMW forum... it gets worse:

"We will be in for a surprise with the price of steel later this summer, It has almost doubled since January and there is no end in sight. Anything that weighs a lot and has high steel content like a car, is going up big time when these increases filter through the system. The rebar in the worlds largest skyscraper being built in China will reach end to end to the space station and back 19 times according to the Discovery Channel. We are now in a world battle for resources and our way of life and standard of living is about to change."
Old 05-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Sharkdad
Praetorian Guard
Rennlist Member

Read something similar about the price of steel. One of the oil companies evidently abandoned a construction project in Dubai because the cost of steel had doubled there in only a handful of months.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:04 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

F*ck a bunch of hybrids and grass-fuel, I see those ethanol commercials that show 'special' grass and wonder how many drops of fuel come out of an acre and how much energy is actually used to make it
Amen Brother. Lets all run to the Toyota dealer and buy a hybrid so we can be GREEN!!!
Oh so what if disposing of batteries from these 0-60 in 15.6 POC is going to cause more
ecological damage than alittle bit of carbon. Just like global warming, nobody waits for real
science to give us the answer. And BTW the global warming alarmists are recalculating
their findings because of the recent record snow falls and record cold temps. Yea there is going
to be a 10 year cooling period. (sorry Mike)
All this means I am keeping my 911.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE OF RICE LATELY!!! OMG!
Old 05-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Lumber and drywall were through the roof a few years ago after Katrina. Once supply/demand leveled out those prioces have come down. Metals are bad right now, and as stated above, the emergers are driving prices up.

Lesson: You can do nothing and worry about it, or you can figure out how to make a little cash.

Steve, don't take the Propeller Heads too seriously. They gave us Steve Bungle... errr... Bangle.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

The Devil made me post this:

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/vide...te=NA#10416116

(Sorry, you have to endure a TD Ameritrade comm'l first)
Old 05-12-2008, 12:33 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Lumber and drywall were through the roof a few years ago after Katrina. Once supply/demand leveled out those prioces have come down. Metals are bad right now, and as stated above, the emergers are driving prices up.
+1 This is price elasticity. There was a merger an it is more tin plate type steel that has increased about 30% in the past month.. Huge but somewhat BS.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:26 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Sheesh the only way o cut in the the speculators is to cut your demand. I read that if demand nationwide dropped by 10% it would cut the speculation. But EVERYone would have to cut back. I have already
but back by 30% and have got my road bike out and am working to get fit enough to ride to work which
will push my consumption down by 50%.
Its not hard if you live in a small town.

Quick Reply: They're predicting gas at $7 gal next yr (oil at $200 barrel).Still keeping your 993?