Your thoughts on a 993 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:10 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allill
Kie,

I saw this white 993 on Craigslist here in SF. Not be as cheap as the salvaged one but might be worth a look.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/679525731.html

No affiliation, etc.
Looks like a good one. What wheels are those?

Although at anywhere in the $30's the one for sale by ddidit gets top consideration.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddidit
Bearclaw,

Kiesan is very much an enthusiast in all performance cars. He knows exactly what he wants. He has the money to get what he wants. As a potential buyer of mine, he has trust in everything he says he will do. And honors trust in everything I say and do. Nothing wrong with that. He wants a 993 soon so he will buy what's available today. He wants white but mine is yellow. He was going to fly here past Sat with money at hand. I lost out since I was waiting for Arizona to give an answer. I like everyone to know about my car and where it might go becuause here at rennlist, we say we are family. I have nothing to hide and neither does he that is why he is asking rennlist opinions

Now, he is looking at a Salvaged 993 that if checks out properly, is a buy of a lifetime for him. Why, 20K for a 993 with 18k miles enjoy and drive the hell out of it as long as it is solid is 14-16k less than market value of a no story car. Thats alot of greenbacks, 1.5" thick when all you want is a 993. I totaly understand him. If he wanted perfection, all he has to do is look at his Ducati 998s or his MH900E that I may want on trade. That 998S is worth more than 10 qty 993's. He is into bikes and wants a 993 to drive around! My kind of person to be a friend.

Kie, when I am in Seattle, do you mind me sleeping in your MotoBike Studio. That place looks like Mickey Rorke's flat in the movie 9 1/2 weeks! I want to lay next to the 998s.

Dindo
Dindo:
I met Kie when I went to take a look at a 964 he was selling, on behalf of another Rennlister. He is truly a standup guy, and you should have no trouble working out a deal if you both truly want to. As a kid, I worked as a lot boy on a used car lot. As a grizzled old car salesman once told me, "The numbers don't matter - if a buyer and a seller are happy with a deal, it's good deal." I think that goes for open-forum negotiation. Not my cup of tea, but you're both comfy with it, that's all that matters. Sure is entertaining!

I was merely confused about his objective for this purchase, since he seemed to be looking at both ends of the range - and there is a range, since there's no way your beautiful car is in the same league as an accident-damaged car with a salvage title. And that's not me and the "girls" talking - that's the market.

I hope you guys can put something together. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:51 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kiesan
Looks like a good one. What wheels are those?

Although at anywhere in the $30's the one for sale by ddidit gets top consideration.
Hell yeah, Dindo's car looks great and is setup right! The wheels on the craigslist one are a bit off, not sure what they are.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The white one on CL in CA might be THE white one you've been looking for. And you'd have some $$ left over for, eh, ... new wheels.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:38 PM
ddidit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bearclaw,

I believe you are 100% correct on your last statement. For me, I would never ever buy a salvage title no matter what. But that is me. Kie has the ability to make a decision he is comfortable with. The car he buys no matter the cost will be paid off. Wether it be 20k for salvage or 37.5k for great. In the end of it, if both cars are driven minimally less than 5k a year, he will more than likely recoupe all his money if he sells it. So it truly is a matter of which he wants to hold onto. To save 14k-15k sounds great to me (as long as you don't buy a nightmare). As an example, mine is great, but can you imagine mine in contention the the salvaged. Makes me wonder if salvage has benefits, at this point, I wished I was selling the Salvaged. But then again, Kie is one in a million. If he does not buy my car, someone else will come along justifying the cost of mine versus another. The best thing about mine is I know every nook and cranny of the mechanical beast? I drove it daily until the point I said I need a 4-door. I am driving the Esprit as my daily at this moment. The person who absolutely will get mine will want perfection and a potential track car to boot!.

And now, just like you, I too am confused with the range. Anything I buy wether tennis shoes or watches, tube amps or records, has to be perfect or I get an uneasy feeling in my wallet if what I spent, invested, is truly what I deserved.

I wished I didn't have to sell my 993, but a 4-door is required and I simply will not justify sqeezing my little ones in the back to just make me smile when I drvie them to preschool. With the newborn, I will have to wait another 4-5 years before I can safely put her in the back.

Don't worry though, my driving passion will still be abound. I am getting my wife an EVO X and myself an STI ( for older guys like myself). Both are 4-door. When I need a thrill, I'll push the Esprit and every time I worry about when the rear mirror will fall off, the brakes die, I'll kick myself in the gut why I sold my ddidit 993. Can you imagine having 3 turbo cars!

Any new offers!

Dindo
Old 05-14-2008, 06:34 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Hmmm.... I read all 5 pages and no one mentioned.....frame damage.

If the original hit dislodged the wheel from the body, chances are good that the frame, or suspension arms are not factory-straight anymore. Unfortunately PPIs don't measure frame conformance with factory specs. You need to load the car up on a frame machine, with a special Porsche jig doing the measurements, to be sure if you have a straight frame.

If you are using this car for track work, I'd be really careful about a tweaked frame. First the running aspects, Second, if there are weakended joints in the frame from the original impact.

I'd worry more about this than how much to pay for the car. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

CP
Old 05-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by CP

If the original hit dislodged the wheel from the body, chances are good that the frame, or suspension arms are not factory-straight anymore. Unfortunately PPIs don't measure frame conformance with factory specs. You need to load the car up on a frame machine, with a special Porsche jig doing the measurements, to be sure if you have a straight frame.

If you are using this car for track work, I'd be really careful about a tweaked frame. First the running aspects, Second, if there are weakended joints in the frame from the original impact.

I'd worry more about this than how much to pay for the car. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

CP
Sound advice from the Pongster.

I'd make any offer contingent on taking the car to a body shop and making sure that the car meets factory specs and can be properly aligned. If it's not, it can be a nightmare later on.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:10 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

[QUOTE=CP;5413493]Hmmm.... I read all 5 pages and no one mentioned.....frame damage.

see #49 and 52
Old 05-14-2008, 08:35 PM
CP
Race Director

[QUOTE=prshguy;5413752]
Originally Posted by CP

see #49 and 52
Roger,

I stand corrected. I confused speed reading with 'incomplete' reading.

CP
Old 05-14-2008, 10:11 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

No problem but as penance you've got to let me drive the Ruf next time your in Sacatomatos.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:36 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by prshguy
No problem but as penance you've got to let me drive the Ruf next time your in Sacatomatos.
That can certainly be arranged.

CP

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on a 993 for sale