Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on a 993 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on a 993 for sale

Hey so I'm looking at a 993 for sale with a story. If you know of this car I am referring to, I ask that you please do not post specific info and/or links about it since I didn't ask the owner of the car if I could do that.

I have not seen this car in person, it is thousands of miles away from me although in the US. Its a '96 model, Carrera 2 (narrow-body, not a C2S) 6-speed with LSD. 25k miles. Basically stock with mild wheel/tire, springs and exhaust mods. It also has a base Techart bodykit. Nothing wild, just the rocker panels and different wing.

Here is the story. It was hit hard enough in the front corner (when still new at the dealer) to separate the front wheel at that corner from the car. The car sat for years like that unrepaired with that detached wheel on the passenger front seat. The seat even now has a small imprint of the wheel permanently on it as a result.

The car was then repaired by someone, and a dentist bought it. He put about 6k on the car before getting a '73 911 RS. The next guy and current owner then bought it (maybe 4 years back) and it now has 25k miles.

The airbags were not replaced, although now it has a stock airbag steering wheel. The airbag warning light comes on when you start the car. The car has a salvage title and an odometer discrepancy although the owner certifies that the odometer reflects the true miles. I have only seen pictures but the car appears to be as described, which is to say it looks clean and mint. The owner also seems to be forthright and a straight shooter as well. Multiple Porsche owner, family man, business owner, etc. He's got his own 4-post lift in his home garage.

No pictures or anything like that from when the car was damaged. Also, the owner does not know who repaired the car. He does have a couple polaroid shots of the car in the process of being repaired though. He admitted that from the looks of the bodyshop in the pics, it would not be a place that one would typically take a car like this to be repaired.

Assuming the car passed a PPI, and the repair work seemed more or less sound upon inspection, what is a fair selling price (for the buyer and the seller) for this pup?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:53 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My guess...$15K-$18K
Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

The car now has "stories." Mileage is undocumented. Repairs are undocumented. The car unseen, is a roll of the dice. Airbag light could be a free fix or thousands. I wouldn't go over $20K, and that's only if it was a car I wanted to own for a looooong time. Your resale will be nil.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:03 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on the price and purpose you are looking for. If you are looking to re-sell it, that salvage title is gonna hurt you.

If the repairs were done right, you should feel comfortable with the car, but then again, to salvage a brand new car on the lot means that damage was huge!!! Get photos of the car before and during the repair and find out the truth... if you can.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:07 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allill
It all depends on the price and purpose you are looking for. If you are looking to re-sell it, that salvage title is gonna hurt you.
+1
If it were going to be a keeper, I'd gamble (mileage discrepency) at under $20K

Someone will probably pay more... which could be a bad thing for them.

By the way, how bad is the mileage discrepency?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:12 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

If the repairs were done right, you should feel comfortable with the car, but then again, to salvage a brand new car on the lot means that damage was huge!!! Get photos of the car before and during the repair and find out the truth... if you can.
I'm looking to drive it, own it and enjoy for a few years. My girlfriend does track days with her Miata and her Type R Integra, and I'd like to get back into tracking cars myself after a decade or so of bikes only. This 993 seems like a good candidate for that.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:14 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkD
+1
If it were going to be a keeper, I'd gamble (mileage discrepency) at under $20K

Someone will probably pay more... which could be a bad thing for them.

By the way, how bad is the mileage discrepency?
It just says "true mileage unknown".
Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$10-$15k. But why mess with it?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:20 PM
allill
Drifting

Kie,

I know you don't want photos to show up here but you gotta show us what we are discussing.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:27 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Kie,

I know you don't want photos to show up here but you gotta show us what we are discussing.

Fair enough:
Attached Images   
Old 04-16-2008, 10:28 PM
samsnead
Pro

It's been listed in the rennlist classifieds, so others are aware of it. From what I recall the asking price is around 30K.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by samsnead
It's been listed in the rennlist classifieds, so others are aware of it. From what I recall the asking price is around 30K.

Yep.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:32 PM
allill
Drifting

Car looks pretty good in these photos, you gotta see it up close and examine the paint. White hides a lot of stuff that darker colors wouldn't. See if you can track down the damage shots.

I am not too big of a fan of the skirts but to each is own. I say take a trip and see the car in person.

Edit: just saw the $30k price. Not to bash on the sale or anything, you have to get the story straight and figure out the true extent of the damage and guestimate the mileage. You may find another car without a story or less of one. The price seems steep for a salvaged car with a story behind it.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:34 PM
samsnead
Pro

lots of cars out there, if you get it for what others have said then it makes sense. Otherwise sit tight and your car will come. I don't know how much felxibilty there is in the price.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

$30,000 for a '96 993 with a salvage title, an odometer discrepancy and body work is inf*ckingsane, regardless of the miles. My price is $18,000 max, and, even at that price, the seller better give you a reacharound for the premium and then make you breakfast the next morning.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 04-17-2008 at 12:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on a 993 for sale