Your thoughts on a 993 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:54 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kiesan
Now this is the type of post I have been looking for. Thanks Ed! Your analysis closely resembles what I was/am thinking as well. I agree, low 20's is what I feel would be a realistic and fair selling price for this car.
You're welcome. For what it's worth I would only buy that car at that price for a track car. Too many nice cars out there with no stories. To reiterate - you will own that car for a looooong time.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:55 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carfax report

Call me crazy... I'm still interested:

1996 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA2/4/4STRBLK
WP0AA2996TS321936
COUPE
3.6L H6 FI / REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Standard Equipment | Safety Options

Hi-I'm the CARFAX Xpert™. I'm here to help you better understand the data in this CARFAX Report. Did you know...
We checked over 5 billion records from thousands of data sources for this vehicle
This vehicle DOES NOT qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
The last reported odometer reading was 18,020

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

The number of owners is estimated by CARFAX
Year purchased 1996 2003 2005
Type of owner Personal --- ---
Estimated length of ownership 6 yrs. 9 mo. 1 yr. 8 mo. 3 yrs. 1 mo.
Owned in the following states/provinces See Details Michigan Michigan
Estimated miles driven per year --- --- ---
Last reported odometer reading 2,294 6,334 18,020

CARFAX guarantees the information in this section
Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt Alert!
Problem Found No Additional Problems No Additional Problems
Fire/Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback/Lemon No Problem No Problem No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits
Alert!
Problem Found Alert!
Problem Found Alert!
Problem Found
Alert! Severe problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This vehicle does not qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee.

Not all accidents or other issues are reported to CARFAX
Total Loss Check

No total loss reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported

Structural / Frame Damage Check

No structural / frame damage reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported

Airbag Deployment Check

No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported

Odometer Rollback Check

See State DMV-reported Title Problems above. Alert!
Problem Found
Alert!
Problem Found
Alert!
Problem Found

Accident Check

See State DMV-reported Title Problems above. Alert!
Problem Found
No New Issues Reported
No New Issues Reported

Manufacturer Recall Check

At least 1 manufacturer recall requires repair. Most recalls can be repaired free of charge. Recall Reported
No New Recalls Reported
No New Recalls Reported

Basic Warranty Check

Original manufacturer warranty likely voided by manufacturer after vehicle was severely damaged.
Warranty Voided
Warranty Voided
Warranty Voided

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX checked over 5 billion vehicle history events and found 15 record(s) for this 1996 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA2/4/4STRBLK (WP0AA2996TS321936).

Purchased: 1996
Type: Personal
Where: Florida, Georgia, Indiana
Est. miles/year: ---
Est. length owned: 11/4/96 - 8/6/03
(6 yrs. 9 mo.)

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
11/04/1996 30 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Pineland, FL
Title #72232040 Odometer reading reported

01/15/1997 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Pineland, FL
Title #72232040 Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle

11/05/1997 2,217 Georgia
Inspection Station
Atlanta, GA Passed emissions inspection

01/27/1998 Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Atlanta, GA
Title #91396411 Title or registration issued

02/18/1998 Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Title #000000034154057 SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

02/18/1998 Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Norcross, GA
Title #34154057 SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

10/15/1998 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Pineland, FL
Title #0072232040 Title issued or updated

02/04/1999 Porsche Cars North America Manufacturer recall issued
#AX03 Filter relay
Click here or call 1-800-PORSCHE to locate an authorized Porsche dealer near you.

08/06/2001 2,294 Indiana
Motor Vehicle Dept.
La Porte, IN
Title #01079144002 SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED
NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE TITLE ISSUED
REBUILT TITLE ISSUED
CARFAX Advisor™
A NAM title is issued when the owner discloses to a DMV mileage fraud, a broken odometer or that the actual mileage of this vehicle is unknown.

Mileage reported after this reading is potentially unreliable.

Purchased: 2003
Where: Michigan
Est. length owned: 8/6/03 - 4/6/05
(1 yr. 8 mo.)

08/06/2003 6,334 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Prescott, MI
Title #357P2180089 New owner reported

This car seems to have been registered in MI without the prior IN rebuilt and salvage titles. This may be a case of title washing. If you are considering buying this vehicle, make sure you account for this problem title history in your decision.

09/20/2004 Howard Cooper VW
Ann Arbor, MI
734-761-3200
www.howardcooper.com Vehicle serviced
Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated

Purchased: 2005
Where: Michigan
Est. length owned: 4/6/05 - present
(3 yrs. 1 mo.)

04/06/2005 18,020 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Dexter, MI
Title #112S0960327 New owner reported

07/06/2006 Howard Cooper VW
Ann Arbor, MI
734-761-3200
www.howardcooper.com Vehicle serviced

12/27/2006 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Dexter, MI Registration issued or renewed

12/10/2007 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Dexter, MI Registration issued or renewed
Old 05-12-2008, 02:59 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Default Option codes

Hey at least it still has the original option code sticker and presumeably the original front hood~

The following matches were found in the database. Note that you may see duplicates depending on your car's type and year. If you notice any errors please report them!

Code Option Description
220 Locking differential
224 Active Brake Differential
233 Original tires, Pirelli
398 Left outside mirror - electric - plain [Prior to 1996]
398 17 " 5-Spoke Wheels (P205/50ZR17 front, P225/40ZR17 rear) [1996]
398 18" Technology Design Wheels [1997]
445 Wheel Rim Caps with Porsche Crest
454 Automatic speed control
650 Sunroof
688 Radio cd CDR210
C02 Equipped with catalytic converter
Old 05-12-2008, 04:32 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have dealt with a bunch of salvage title cars over the years including several pcars. Salvage didn't use to have the stigma it does now but due to loads of horror stories of cars held together with bondo and rivets, people are more wary. You can cover up a multitude of sins with bondo, I've seen it. Buyers nowdays are more aware of these issues so the caveat from other posters definitely warrants consideration. Down the road be prepared to take a fairly substantial hit to re-sell it. You will loose probably 9 out of 10 buyers right off the bat.

But you seem to like the car so perhaps it comes down to a bottom line question. My estimate would be in the $20-22K range tops. Figure about a 25% hit for the salvage issue.

And of course, all depending on a good PPI. A word of caution, have a PPI done at a good frame and body shop, not just a dealer since there are really two issues going on, is the car mechanically sound and how is the car stucturally sound. You want a good frame and body guy to look at this car, not just a mechanic. HTH. Let us know how this turns out.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:34 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by prshguy
Have dealt with a bunch of salvage title cars over the years including several pcars. Salvage didn't use to have the stigma it does now but due to loads of horror stories of cars held together with bondo and rivets, people are more wary. You can cover up a multitude of sins with bondo, I've seen it. Buyers nowdays are more aware of these issues so the caveat from other posters definitely warrants consideration. Down the road be prepared to take a fairly substantial hit to re-sell it. You will loose probably 9 out of 10 buyers right off the bat.

But you seem to like the car so perhaps it comes down to a bottom line question. My estimate would be in the $20-22K range tops. Figure about a 25% hit for the salvage issue.

And of course, all depending on a good PPI. A word of caution, have a PPI done at a good frame and body shop, not just a dealer since there are really two issues going on, is the car mechanically sound and how is the car stucturally sound. You want a good frame and body guy to look at this car, not just a mechanic. HTH. Let us know how this turns out.
Do you mean a 25% hit after I buy it, assuming I were to buy it for $22k? In other words, you're saying I'd be able to resell it with a reasonable amount of effort for $16,500 tops after I buy it for $22k?

Or do you mean that right now one subtracts 25% from the full retail value if the car had clean history and no stories?

Thanks for the advice Roger~
Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Kie, I have to ask (and maybe you answered this in a post somewhere else):
You obviously have the budget to buy a top-notch car (you offered $36K for the other ones), and expressed the desire to find a "keeper".
Why are you bottom-feeding?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:06 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Do you mean a 25% hit after I buy it, assuming I were to buy it for $22k? In other words, you're saying I'd be able to resell it with a reasonable amount of effort for $16,500 tops after I buy it for $22k?

Or do you mean that right now one subtracts 25% from the full retail value if the car had clean history and no stories?

Thanks for the advice Roger~
The second option, i.e. deduct about 25% from fair market value and this should put you somewhere close to what you could expect to reasonably pay. Keep in mind this is only a best guess. However, at around $20-22K depending on quality of repair, PPI results, options etc, this might be worth considering. With the PPI, if the owner is cooperative you could even have the car put on a frame rack and checked. It'll cost you a couple of hours of shop time, probably $200, but might give you peace of mind and build a good record for future resale.

I don't mind a salvage title if the conditions like an attractive price, the current owner, service history/records will offset the title issue and resale issue. If you buy it right you can sell it right. Loads of cars get hurt then repaired, just do your best to be assured it was fixed properly. If the guy has owned it for several years then I would expect issues like poor paint prep, misalignment leading to poor tire wear would have cropped up by now. If there is any doubt though you should move on.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:39 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Kie, I have to ask (and maybe you answered this in a post somewhere else):
You obviously have the budget to buy a top-notch car (you offered $36K for the other ones), and expressed the desire to find a "keeper".
Why are you bottom-feeding?
Bottom feeding? I thought I was just being thrifty

Here it is. I want a '96 or newer 993 C2 to sort of daily drive and the occasional track day. White is a color on my list of ones to pick from. By all accounts thus far, this car runs/drives well and looks fine. Should fit the bill more or less OK.

Because it was crashed and fixed, it now has a "salvage" storey that goes with it everywhere. From what I can see, that makes the car worth somewhere in the low 20's, instead of high 20's to low 30's for the same car with no stories.

The way I see it, the initital cost of ownership is quite a bit lower, so my Chinese mother will be proud of me since my bank account will be left with more blips in it. If/when I sell the car in a few years, it will have depreciated like any used car and I'll lose some dough on resale.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I see. Okie-dokie...

I liked the blue one in Texas. Too bad about that deal.
I like the yellow one, too. But not the seller's peculiar 'public negotiating strategy'.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:54 PM
ddidit
Advanced

Bearclaw,

Kiesan is very much an enthusiast in all performance cars. He knows exactly what he wants. He has the money to get what he wants. As a potential buyer of mine, he has trust in everything he says he will do. And honors trust in everything I say and do. Nothing wrong with that. He wants a 993 soon so he will buy what's available today. He wants white but mine is yellow. He was going to fly here past Sat with money at hand. I lost out since I was waiting for Arizona to give an answer. I like everyone to know about my car and where it might go becuause here at rennlist, we say we are family. I have nothing to hide and neither does he that is why he is asking rennlist opinions

Now, he is looking at a Salvaged 993 that if checks out properly, is a buy of a lifetime for him. Why, 20K for a 993 with 18k miles enjoy and drive the hell out of it as long as it is solid is 14-16k less than market value of a no story car. Thats alot of greenbacks, 1.5" thick when all you want is a 993. I totaly understand him. If he wanted perfection, all he has to do is look at his Ducati 998s or his MH900E that I may want on trade. That 998S is worth more than 10 qty 993's. He is into bikes and wants a 993 to drive around! My kind of person to be a friend.

Kie, when I am in Seattle, do you mind me sleeping in your MotoBike Studio. That place looks like Mickey Rorke's flat in the movie 9 1/2 weeks! I want to lay next to the 998s.

Dindo
Old 05-13-2008, 07:42 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ddidit
Kie, when I am in Seattle, do you mind me sleeping in your MotoBike Studio. That place looks like Mickey Rorke's flat in the movie 9 1/2 weeks! I want to lay next to the 998s.

Dindo
No prob Dindo. I'm setting up a little cot for you right underneath these pipes:
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bottom feeding? I thought I was just being thrifty
X2. If the car was repaired properly and otherwise checks out, it could be a great buy. It's actually not difficult at all to tell if a fender is packed with bondo. All it takes is a magnet. And determining if the car was repaired to a high standard will take someone who knows 993's very little time; remove headlight, remove fender liner, investigate with flashlight; put car on corner scales to see if it's reasonably well balanced; etc.

It's so funny to see all the girls of the forum getting their panties in a bunch at the thought of buying a 993 that has been in an accident, as if a 993 was a Faberge egg or a Cezanne painting that had been defaced. It's a frigging car, people. They break, and they get fixed, and if they're fixed right and the sale price reflects the accident history, then life goes on.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:37 PM
allill
Drifting

Kie,

I saw this white 993 on Craigslist here in SF. Not be as cheap as the salvaged one but might be worth a look.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/679525731.html

No affiliation, etc.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:42 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What concerns me is the fact that it stayed dormant for so many years. If you do get it make sure you give it an Italian tune up straight away.

Last edited by 99three; 05-13-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: sticky fingers
Old 05-13-2008, 09:07 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99three
What concerns me is the fact that it stayed dormant for so many years. If you do get it make sure you give it an Italian tune up straight away.
Oh that goes without saying 99three. I'd be hopping in this baby in Michigan and making a run north of the border for the Montreal GP first thing. My 1/2 Italian, 1/2 Chinese 'gal (from Ontario no less!) will be with me and we'll be stopping for Tim Bits and Honey Crullers at all the Tim Hortons along the way.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on a 993 for sale