Sponsored by:

Is BMW The New Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:37 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
BMW isn't the new Porsche, the new Porsche isn't the old Porsche and the new Porsche may not be the new Porsche because the new Porsche is trying really hard to be the new BMW. The question is, is the new BMW the old BMW?
Very well put.

To add my own two cents:
Why is BMW not the new Porsche? One word: exclusivity.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I can see maybe the new M5 & M6 being a "look @ me car" Who really cares?

I don't drive a 993 cuz it's fashionable, I drive it, due to it being a very well rounded car, & just so much dam fun to drive! My C4S was a replacement for my E30 M3 BMW.

BMW's are awesome cars also, but they fit in a slightly different category. You can't really take a 330i & compare it to a 997! The only ones that seam to match up are the Z4 & Boxter, Z4 coupe & cayman S
X5 & Cyanne.

Really to me they are all disposable cars, they will not hold value like the 911 & M cars.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:46 PM
banzai993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a funny thread to have on a Porsche chat board
Old 02-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Marco69
Advanced

Although I think that some of you make very eloquent comments about why BMW is not the new Porsche, I think most people tend to forget a few facts:

First and foremost, I’m a hardcore sports car enthusiast with little room for deviations from what I consider a sports car; yet, this is my opinion and only that. I actually own a BMW as well and really like it for what it is.

From my perspective, BMW stopped making solid sports cars about 15 years ago and moved towards the sporty luxury cars arena.
BMW does not have any true sports cars and their "sporty" lineup is filled with porkers (even the entry level 1 series is 300 lbs heavier than the Cayman).
I think that for the most part, Porsche has stayed true to the design and philosophy of building sports cars (the 911 that is).
Porsche entered the SUV market to cash in the craze and be able to continue developing their sports cars (now with the Cayman), which seems to be a sound business decision.

In the end, it all comes down to how a sports car should feel and how it communicates with the driver – none of the new BMW sport cars come even close to the feel of a 911 when it comes to it. I think the E46 M3 is a great car and actually quite capable; however, it cannot be compared to a 911. Actually, when it came down to it, it wasn’t even able to compete professionally against the 911 (most of us probably remember the M3 GTR V8 version attempted by BMW).

And, when thoughts of other “sports” cars enter my mind, I just go down to my garage open and slam shut the door of my 993 – Then I remember why I bought it. For me, this is what makes 911 a 911 and in all justice, it has no substitute (clichés aside). A BMW doesn’t feel this solid!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco69
From my perspective, BMW stopped making solid sports cars about 15 years ago and moved towards the sporty luxury cars arena.
BMW does not have any true sports cars and their "sporty" lineup is filled with porkers (even the entry level 1 series is 300 lbs heavier than the Cayman).
I think that for the most part, Porsche has stayed true to the design and philosophy of building sports cars (the 911 that is).
Porsche entered the SUV market to cash in the craze and be able to continue developing their sports cars (now with the Cayman), which seems to be a sound business decision.
I agree on the older ones being more of a pure sports car!

However, I disagree about BMW not having a true sports car. Look at the Z4M Roadster & Coupe, very much like the Cayman & Boxter! Really about the same price.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:37 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

One other tidbit to throw in here--BMW has the highest per-unit warranty repair cost in the industry, at just over $3,000...
Old 02-23-2008, 01:54 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the 07 Z4M coupe and I do think its a better sports car than a Cayman. 333 hp and 50HP more than the Cayman S, and 20000 less in price. I love the car. Its not my GT3 but its a nice car for me and the wife, its her car.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:58 AM
McGarrett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is BMW the new Porsche?
That's just fuc**** stupid.

Last edited by McGarrett; 02-23-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:38 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

I, like many others on this board, have my feet firmly planted in both camps. I love my 993 for autocrossing, track days and taking a spirited drive, but my BMW takes me nicely through the daily grind. I will have to say that it is my 993, and not my 540, that gets all the attention!

Robert- I'm happy to help you get your all-red pic done on Sunday, provided you let me take the m5 for a spin
Old 02-23-2008, 07:29 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cabrio993
If the new BMW doesn't even come close what BMW used to be, how can it be the new Porsche?

This is what I think the BMW acronym stands for:

BMW:
Big Money Works
Bought My Wife
Brutal Money Waster
Break My Window
Break My Windshield
Babbling Mechanical Wench
Barely Moving Wreck
Big Money Waste
Big Money Works
Breaks Most Wrenches
Bring Many Wrenches
Broken Money Waster
Broke My Wallet
Broken Monstrous Wonder
Bumbling Mechanical Wretch
Blasphemous Motorized Wreck
Bavarian Manure Wagon

Can you think of more?

Originally Posted by cmoss
^ well, in my experience, some of the biggest ******** on the planet are rennlist members--just head on over to OT.

BTW they laugh about us on that other p-car site...
Link?
Old 02-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoss
^ well, in my experience, some of the biggest ******** on the planet are rennlist members--just head on over to OT.

BTW they laugh about us on that other p-car site...
Originally Posted by datax

Link?
I doubt if anyone will post it. After all, we're all ******** here...
Old 02-23-2008, 10:41 AM
banzai993
Racer

Originally Posted by cabrio993
If the new BMW doesn't even come close what BMW used to be, how can it be the new Porsche?

This is what I think the BMW acronym stands for:

BMW:
Big Money Works
Bought My Wife
Brutal Money Waster
Break My Window
Break My Windshield
Babbling Mechanical Wench
Barely Moving Wreck
Big Money Waste
Big Money Works
Breaks Most Wrenches
Bring Many Wrenches
Broken Money Waster
Broke My Wallet
Broken Monstrous Wonder
Bumbling Mechanical Wretch
Blasphemous Motorized Wreck
Bavarian Manure Wagon

Can you think of more?

FUNNY

Back in 1987 my brother and I had a house together in Roswell, GA and we had a double date with 2 girls who were best friends (waitresses at Chilis LOL) and I drove my 944T and he drive his spanking new Beemer 3 series.. we drank A LOT.. on the way home we are ******* it up GA 400 and I see him pull over to the side of the road behind me.. I get off the next exit (this was before everyone had cell phones) and wait.. he eventually pulls up along side me and there is puke all over the passenger side of his car.. his date had expunged her stomach contents on the side of his nice black BMW...

from that moment on for us BMW has always stood for..

BARF out MY WINDOW!!

hehehehehehe
Old 02-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default This is apples and oranges...

What a ridiculous comparison... I have had a BMW as a daily driver since 1990, and had my 993 since 1998. The BMWs are the daily drivers and the 993 is the weekend sports car. These cars are the perfect compliment. When comparing all the needs for my daily driver...which is 2 hours, 5 days a week (2000 miles per month) on Interstate at ~85 mph...nothing fits that bill like a BMW...certainly nothing Porsche makes at the moment. If I HAD to get rid of one of the cars...it would have to be the 993. I simply can't afford to replace $1200 worth of tires every 4 months, along with $150 oil changes, etc., etc., etc...don't even try to compare the $/mile of a 5-series to a 993. I would like to know what all the BMW bashers would drive to work every day if they were in my shoes...certainly an Audi, Mercedes, etc. would be decent choices, but personally I don't think they are as good as a BMW. Obviously this is my opinion, and I feel like I as qualified as anyone to speak on this. Actually, I am much more interested in hearing the opinions of those who own/owned both than those who just see them on the road. Anyway...here are my two cars...as far as I'm concerned...the perfect stable!
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2008, 12:03 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by banzai993

BARF out MY WINDOW!!

hehehehehehe
Old 02-23-2008, 01:25 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by McGarrett
That's just ******* stupid.
I love how you show the first four letters and apply the asterisks to the "ing".
I bet that'll slip right past the moderators

Quick Reply: Is BMW The New Porsche?