Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Quirks

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:25 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just saw this thread for the first time - SUBSCRIBED!

Funny stuff, but I love most of the quirks about these cars. Even compared to my 968, this thing has a ton of unusual, endearing traits. I love it!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:44 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

i believe the rear balance tool is only 350.00 us-I share one with my mechanic-not cheap but not 15k-Also mirrors were made so you can see out-quite a bit of thought went into that!
buy a new sports car and you will find many issues -example -the new Ferrari 599 has horrible lights-
just imagine paying more than 250k and you can't see-
but isn't the drive worth the pain
Old 08-12-2008, 01:49 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And don't forget about the SAI issues and if you live in California you have to start planning for your smog check!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:24 PM
993 Azul
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living too far from mountain roads.

Joseph
96 C2
Old 08-13-2008, 09:25 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
- Mysterious kinematic rear alignment that only 3 people in the world can do with a $15K Porsche tool.
Hilarious ! So true ~
Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys mean by offset side mirrors? Are the mirrors not placed in the same spots on the doors? Sorry, but I can't check my car--it's in the shop, but for a good reason--it's getting MO30s and Litronics.

As for the wood panel, I was shocked when I lifted the floor mat and found plywood in my car! Is anyone familiar with the VW Type III Squareback, Fastback, Notchback, and Type III Karmann Ghia? They have the same pedal arrangement with that panel that covers the arms. Speaking of VWs, the hood release is like on a Type I Karmann Ghia, and I was told by a VW friend that the door latch looks like a Ghia's. Plus, the door sound is quite similar to that of an air-cooled VW.

Okay, here's one that nobody listed yet: PROGRAMMING the damn immobilizer! What a stupid procedure! Just got my code from the dealership yesterday. On off on off on off blink on off on off on off on off on off on off blink....Why couldn't they just put a chip in the key? My '95 BMW has one. Well, then again, they were strapped for cash in the early 90s and redesigning the ignition switch was probably not in the budget.

Here's another one: The two VW/Audi relays in the fuse box. I've been a VW fan since I was 2 years old, and find this comforting in a sort of masochistic way, but the rest of you should be afraid, as VW has yet to master electrical engineering, although it's not as bad as Lucas...

And another: Vinyl jump seats. Come on--I know nobody sits there, but they should be leather. I felt so stupid when I found out they were vinyl AFTER I fed them with connolly leather care. Oh well.

Quick Reply: 993 Quirks