Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak After Change??? NOW WITH PIX!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 01:43 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Order a new o-ring that resides near the tip of the drain plugs as well. This will make the quick swap much easier. Of course, a new crush washer as well.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

If you do remove the plug make sure you are in a "splash" zone. I tried this once, the oil really rushes out the hole so the oil will spray in all kinds of weird angles when you open the drain. You have a few options:

1 - Just go for it but I bet you will lose 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank and the floor will be covered, nevermind yourself OR

2 - Dump the oil in an very clean container. Preclean the pan with brake cleaner and make sure its really good, then dump the oil and put it back into the engine OR

3 - Just go ahead and dump the oil, replace the plug at your leisure, and fill with new oil. The safest and easiest method. Get the shop to pay for the oil and plug if you can. If not at least you have the piece of mind you did an "oil flush" and have a new plug OR

4 - Like you suggested, just drive to the shop and get them to fix it. Easiest option in many ways.

The big question is of course how tight is that plug...is it overtightened?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Took it back yesterday and they put in a new drain plug and reused the oil that came out. They did not over tighten the plug when I checked it so it just failed. They didn't charge me anything and were very apologetic even though it wasn't really their fault. BTW the oill change was just under $150. European Import Maintenance Center in Harrisburg, PA.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great solution!

Cheers!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Serves you right for letting someone else change your oil. You KNOW 100% that would not have happened had you done it yourself. I've seen this exact same problem on a buddy's 993 that he'd last had an oil change on with the local dealer. They are used an air gun on it and broke off the lip. Of course, they just left it on, figuring no one would notice until the next oil change. No reason whatsoever to use air tools on any part of an oil change other than R&R'ing wheels.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Serves you right for letting someone else change your oil. You KNOW 100% that would not have happened had you done it yourself. I've seen this exact same problem on a buddy's 993 that he'd last had an oil change on with the local dealer. They are used an air gun on it and broke off the lip. Of course, they just left it on, figuring no one would notice until the next oil change. No reason whatsoever to use air tools on any part of an oil change other than R&R'ing wheels.
YeahI know but I really don't think they overtightened it because I checked it. These situations led me to change my own oil in my DD Hondas though.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you could also do the same damage with an air gun upon loosening it. I've worked with an air gun set to 1000 ft./lbs. before, and it darn near shattered a wheel lug with just a touch of the trigger.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:11 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amazing the DIY prat falls I'll create for myself...I forgot the crush ring during the last oil change. To reinstall, I had my son on standby to reattach the ring onto the plug while I did my best impression of the little boy holding his finger in the dike..didn't loose but a 1/8 of a quarter of oil...learned my lesson...again

Quick Reply: Oil Leak After Change??? NOW WITH PIX!!!!!!!!!!