Sponsored by:

Battery Charger - modified from eBay

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:57 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Battery Charger - modified from eBay

Guys - the seller of this charger says he will add a cigar lighter adapter to it so it can run wihtout wires coming out of the trunk on our cars. Does anyone know if a general puprose, non-OEM charger like this plugged into the lighter will work just fine? Is there anything about the electronics on the 993 that argues for having a Porsche dealer - provided charger? Seems straight forward, but experience would help me feel better about this.

Here is the url for eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._promot_widget

Thanks. Charlie
Old 10-11-2007, 12:19 AM
mkc4s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably will work, but you can get something more proven for less. I got a small Schumacher charger few years ago, added cigar lighter connector to it, and it works great on 993 and a BMW. The Schumacher charger sells at www.partsamerica.com for 25.99. You can also have it delivered to an auto parts store and pick it up the next day.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Nuff
Racer

Originally Posted by mkc4s
Probably will work, but you can get something more proven for less. I got a small Schumacher charger few years ago, added cigar lighter connector to it, and it works great on 993 and a BMW. The Schumacher charger sells at www.partsamerica.com for 25.99. You can also have it delivered to an auto parts store and pick it up the next day.
Just curious how you added a cig lighter connector to it. Did you get the Schumacher charger that has the two battery post clips?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm a noob when it comes to chargers but you are saying you just plug it into the lighter and it trickle charges the battery?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:41 PM
mkc4s
Intermediate

Yes, I cut off the clips, purchased cigar lighter connector, and attached the connector. The tip of connector is connected to the red (plus) wire, the side of connector to the other (ground) wire.

Yes, I just plug the connector into cigar lighter hole and leave it there while car is parked.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:59 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing with this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292
Old 10-13-2007, 07:05 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I just installed my battery tender this weekend. Any reason why the negative lead should be connected to some random grounding point rather than to the negative battery terminal (the battery tender instructions state positive to positive terminal, negative to chassis)? Especially since in our cars it appears that the negative battery terminal is connected to the chassis by only about a 10 inch cable. It seams that the cleanest instal would be positive o-ring to positive battery terminal and negative o-ring to negative battery terminal. Is there some electrical principle here that I'm missing? Thanks.

G
Old 10-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
I just installed my battery tender this weekend. Any reason why the negative lead should be connected to some random grounding point rather than to the negative battery terminal (the battery tender instructions state positive to positive terminal, negative to chassis)? Especially since in our cars it appears that the negative battery terminal is connected to the chassis by only about a 10 inch cable. It seams that the cleanest instal would be positive o-ring to positive battery terminal and negative o-ring to negative battery terminal. Is there some electrical principle here that I'm missing? Thanks.

G
Mine always were installed on the battery. The more direct, the better, IMO.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by ecobb993
I did the same thing with this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292
I do buy a lot of stuff at Harbor Freight, but I didn't want to connect this item to my Porsches in the garage.

Is the UL label genuine?

Guaranteed, just like the 'lead-free" toys?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:57 AM
ecobb993
Racer

Pete,

So far it works great. Not sure what the risk is, probably "overcharging" the battery, worst case.

BTW, good to see you're in my old town, Fullerton. I grew up on East Commonwealth; went to FUHS, Fullerton College and a class or two at CSF.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Wow, small world. I've been in the Alpharetta area a few times. Lots more great Porsche roads there than around here, that's for sure!
Old 10-14-2007, 04:35 PM
ecobb993
Racer

There used to be some great roads there too; out Carbon and Silverado Canyon for instance. But now they're all developed. I lived there in the 50s & 60s (yes, I'm an OF).

Quick Reply: Battery Charger - modified from eBay