993 Forum 1995-1998

help with plug wire DIY w/pic

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:42 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with plug wire DIY w/pic

Started the plug, wires, caps, and rotors DIY this week and things are progressing with only a few bumps. So far was able to get the cap screws lose hardest was the bottom one but none stripped!

Next changed all the plugs out. Was unable to get the muffler bracket and engine shroud off easily so aborted that in fear of stripping or breaking off bolts that are in very bad locations to extract etc. (I am finally learning my lesson with these things and know when to say when). I was able to get all the plugs changed out despite this. Not sure how old they were but looked pretty good still. Removed Beru 14FR-5DTU. Replaced with Bosch FR-5DTC. I was having some trouble keeping the socket extension attached even with electrical tape so I came up with another idea that others here might find useful. For the really tight access plugs on the PAX I used a swivel plug socket and attached a 3 inch extension. I used some silicone adhesive to hold them together and let it dry overnight and it no longer came apart even when trying to dislodge the socket from the plug which you want to be very snug. I dropped this all into the valve cover hole and the extension stuck out about 1 inch when completely on the plug. Then attached my stubby 3/8" rachet handle.

Now moving on to the wires but have a few questions before removing the old ones. I'm following Robins DIY but it's done on a V-ram car and mine is a my95 non-V-ram and things are located somewhat differently. There seems to be less room under the intakes than with the varioram. Even if I remove the intakes it may not help the situation on the drivers side.

I am haviing trouble figuring out how to remove and replace the wires running over the engine behind the alternator fan. There appears to be two mounting blocks there with screws but there is not enough clearance to get even a very small ratchet screwdriver as suggested in the DIY between the intake and the screw. Before I damage something I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions here.

Also, the PAX wires go over and under the AC bracket. If I I remove the front bolt can I get this bracket to move to get more room here? Here is a pic not the best but those who have been there will recognize the problem.

Thanks!
Attached Images  

Last edited by mbb993; 10-10-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search on my thread on this. I have a V-ram, but also didn't use the ratcheting screwdrivers. This jobs SUCKS!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been told that it is a viable option to loosen the intake manifold and lift it up a few inches to gain more access. I have been procrastinating on this job though.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:33 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have been told you want to lift the intake - but make sure you cover the intakes so you don't drop a screw in there!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:19 AM
mbb993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Do a search on my thread on this. I have a V-ram, but also didn't use the ratcheting screwdrivers. This jobs SUCKS!!!!!!
It sure does SUCK! It's amazing how such a simple job can be made so frustrating and complicated by access issues. I found your thread and it will be helpful.

Originally Posted by Don Plumley
I too have been told you want to lift the intake - but make sure you cover the intakes so you don't drop a screw in there!
I was afraid of this. However, I did come across this suggestion in my searching and to lift the entire intake up like that it may be necessary to drop the engine down on it's mounts to get the clearance needed. If I can't get enough access, I think I will probably take off the PAX intake and see if that gives me enough room.

And I thought by doing the plugs FIRST I was getting the hard part out of the way! HA
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think messing with the intake makes this job even more complex and is rife with oppotunity to really cause bigger problems. I don't think it's necessary.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:32 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are pics of how the ignition wires are routed with the intake off. It's for a 95. I think you would have to remove the intake to replace the wires. It's not too difficult, except for couple of vacuum hoses in the back.
Attached Images      
Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found a way to do this on my 95 without taking off the intake.

Remove the fan shroud - red arrow.

With an offset screwdriver, loosen the mounting screw on the wire clip just one of two turns. Green arrow (there are two clips attached to the shroud.)

With a large screwdriver, pry the clip from the plastic shroud. Very easy.
Pop it back in once you have the new wires fitted.

I did not originate this method but it saved a lot of work.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did not reinstall those clips with my new wires. Once they were off, I wanted them off forever. I used those wire clips from regular car parts stores to keep the wires together and just fed them behind the fan. I made it pretty tidy too. Will be much easier to deal with in the future.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dudley

With an offset screwdriver, loosen the mounting screw on the wire clip just one of two turns. Green arrow (there are two clips attached to the shroud.)

From the 'gloved hand' what sort of surgery was the 95' mill in for!
Old 10-11-2007, 12:19 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Marlon,

It was a big case of "while you're in there". I pulled the engine to look at a sticky clutch. Well, while I'm in there...a lightweight flywheel. And as long as I'm in there, two of the cylinders have more leakdown than I'd like....so apart comes the engine for valve works and re-ring.

Yes, I spent my Christmas rebuilding my engine.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:24 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Ok, thanks axl911 these pics are a great help. WOW, with the entire intake off this looks like a piece of cake!

A few questions. First how does removing the fan cover help and how do I do it? Second, were you able to get the wires under the AC bracket or did you have to unbolt that to do it?

BTW Dudly, how do you do that great trick drawing arrows on those pictures?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark, Just 3 bolts release the Fan Shroud -BTW - I bet yours is cracked around the boot and needs to be replaced (they all crack after 10 years or son as the rubber drys out). As I remember, you may not even need to remove the shroud. I did to compress the pastic achors of the harness clip with a pair of needle nose pliers as I pried them out from above. Looking back, I think you could skip this step.

I forgot - To mark the photos, I import them in to a paint program and draw arrows.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:39 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Mark, Just 3 bolts release the Fan Shroud -BTW - I bet yours is cracked around the boot and needs to be replaced (they all crack after 10 years or son as the rubber drys out). As I remember, you may not even need to remove the shroud. I did to compress the pastic achors of the harness clip with a pair of needle nose pliers as I pried them out from above. Looking back, I think you could skip this step.

I forgot - To mark the photos, I import them in to a paint program and draw arrows.
Dave,
I got it now. The fan shroud came off easy and is in fine shape. Was likely replaced by PO, looks too good. Had that problem on my 964 as well. Anyway, removing it gives more visibility and now I can see how the plug wire clip holders are attached. I did not really understand before, now it is very clear. I seems they can be pryed out with a flat screwdriver. I will try to loosen the screws a few turns to reduce the chance of enlarging the mounting holes in the plastic. I think I might now be able to sneak the wires/boots under the AC bracket w/o unbolting it. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by mbb993; 10-11-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

You are golden now! BOL.

Quick Reply: help with plug wire DIY w/pic