Sponsored by:

Int'l. Parts Orders - don't forget 2.5% US Customs

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Int'l. Parts Orders - don't forget 2.5% US Customs

I recently ordered some parts from overseas. Thought it was a very good price, happy with the service, etc. etc.

The experience was a bit tarnished when I got a letter from Fedex: SURPRISE! You now owe US Customs for 2.5% of the price of your purchase. Fortunately, not a ton of money, but if you're sharpening your pencil, after doing your currency conversion, make sure you add 2.5% to your price for an apples to apples comparison with your other US-based but ideally not in state options.

Not too huge of an "a ha," but something to keep in mind.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Ok, on an international order we, in Canada, have to pay 6% duty, 6% Goods and Services Tax, and 7% Provincial Sales Tax (for those in B.C.). I would be happy with 2.5%!!

Did Fedex also charge a brokerage fee?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-06-2007, 03:35 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Puh ! Amateurs ! I have to pay 10% duty and 21% VAT ! Of course, that's AFTER I've paid 55% on my salary, and thats's AFTER my boss has paid about 46% taxes on my behalf on what he pays me before taxes. So my boss pays 146 Euro, of which I get 45, of which I pay 16 Euro taxes if i get something from the US, leaving me around 34 Euro's of the 146 Euro's my boss started of with ! Oh yes, and of course there's road tax, home tax, duty on petrol and diesel, water tax, provincial tax, local tax and some stuff I forget that comes out of the residual 34 Euro's as well.

I'm seriously contemplating emigrating. Do you think I would qualify for political refugee status based on the above ?

/rant mode off

Peter R.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:19 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to remember that there is a threshold. If it is below a certain threshold there is no fee. Im fuzzy about it, but I seem to remember something about this because I bought a bunch of china from a store in Stockhom and if it had totaled up to just a little less I wouldn't have had to pay anything at all. I remember because I was thinking, damn, I should have just split the order up in two and shipped each them separately.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Bill (NC)
Racer

I made two purchases last year, one some china from the UK and one a center tray from Germany for the TT and I guess since they were under $100 each I was never charged any duty. They were both shipped through the mail service.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Derek_C
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter-

But how is your healthcare?

Derek
Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Originally Posted by Derek_C
Peter-

But how is your healthcare?

Derek
Up sh*t creek without a paddle heading for the rapids.

Peter R.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Peter: Emigrate at your own peril. The promises made and infrastructure needs dismissed by our pols have placed a burden on the young that will inevitably result in much higher taxes. It's amazing what can be obscured by sand in ones eyes. Ultimately, the rapids will wash out the eyes.

End of semi rant.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter R.
Puh ! Amateurs ! I have to pay 10% duty and 21% VAT ! Of course, that's AFTER I've paid 55% on my salary, and thats's AFTER my boss has paid about 46% taxes on my behalf on what he pays me before taxes. So my boss pays 146 Euro, of which I get 45, of which I pay 16 Euro taxes if i get something from the US, leaving me around 34 Euro's of the 146 Euro's my boss started of with ! Oh yes, and of course there's road tax, home tax, duty on petrol and diesel, water tax, provincial tax, local tax and some stuff I forget that comes out of the residual 34 Euro's as well.

I'm seriously contemplating emigrating. Do you think I would qualify for political refugee status based on the above ?

/rant mode off

Peter R.
Peter, you forgot the "safety camera" tax.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:11 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

FedEx and other premium carriers charge duties & taxes based on customs. However, there are two ways you can avoid or reduce such charges...
1)Each country has gift exampt amount, it varies by country but most of them between $60~$100.
2)Use USPS which will never charge duties & taxes... Go figure?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

dcdude68 enjoy your 2.5%. I bought a tripod in Taiwan by internet and was charged a total of 25% by the Belgian customs...
in fact, nothing is taxed 2.5% here, VATis min 19% plus file charges etc... Max VAT is 25%! And we are lucky that they supressed our 33% rate a few years ago.

Come on dude enjoy life you live in a tax paradise!

Quick Reply: Int'l. Parts Orders - don't forget 2.5% US Customs