Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 disributor drive belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:26 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow - thanks Chris. pushing on the belt worked like a charm!!
Old 09-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by kcwsJim
ok - I went out to remove the distributors to send to Mark in Atlanta, and according to the 993DIY you just put a 24mm wrench on the fan nut to turn the engine. Well, I guess I need new belts because the pulley just spins on the belt. Any other ideas about how to rotate the engine by hand?
I don't quite get why you need to rotate the engine? The dist gear set is pretty coarse ; all you have to do is get the distributor pointed in the same position as when it was pulled out so TDC does not really matter. I used this method on Rob's car and it worked like a charm. Just make sure you don't rotate the engine while the distributor is out or you will have to hand determine the TDC position to set the distributor up again.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=glenn '88 944S;4322924]Hey All,
Has anyone found a better belt than the Gates one for sale anywhere ? The one I got from Pelican last week were marked Gates. Maybe Gates is the only one makeing them now ? And does anyone have the part number info for the bearings (hoping I won't need 'em, but good info to have handy).
TIA
Glen

Gates would probably be a vendor to Porsche for this belt even if it had a 'porsche' ink stamp on it. Gates is excellent and you will find them on the best equipment in the world (no affiliation). Recommend you research Gates.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Archilla
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I did the distributor belt on my car for the first time last week, and the old one looked pretty good when it came out. Car has just over 100k miles, according to my records the distributor has never been replaced, and from what I saw it does not look like the distributor had ever been opened before, so I believe it was the original belt. There was some small rubber debris from the belt in the secondary distributor housing, but the belt itself looked fine, not brittle or deteriorated. I also wonder how the new one that I put in will last compared to the original one...
-Ruben

Quick Reply: 993 disributor drive belt