993 Rear-Ended

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down 993 Rear-Ended

So last night after I picked up my stolen and recovered Honda from the wrecker yard, some girl rear-ended me in the 993. Car is (was) all-original paint in excellent condition, now it's an "accident" car

I don't think there's any frame damage, but the rear bumper is cracked, and worse, the engine is making a strange noise now - I think maybe something got knocked out of alignment, it's a rattling/vibrating sound. (Some of you may remember a previous post about an undiagnosed rattling engine noise - that paled in comparison to the noise it's making now).

Just as I was starting to feel better about the car - I waxed and detailed it last week, and after checking the oil consumption, it only consumed one quart in 1,900 miles! Engine is tight as a drum!

I'll take some pics later tonight, but in the meantime, any advice? I want to get the car repaired PROPERLY, which will obviously require a new rear bumper and paint. I am really concerned about proper color matching, and also the diminished value of my car now that it's not original. Does anybody know of a good body shop in Orlando?

Any ideas about the noise? The oil pressure seems good, no leaking from what I can see.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Plain and simple: That sucks!
Old 05-24-2007, 11:17 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aw phriggin' frig!

As I type I am livid at, sometimes, the crass stupidity and apathy of some people.

OK, emotions parked, now to one side, here's what happened to MY car a long time ago:

The PO (of my car) got rear-ended by two ditz's (in an SUV) coming out of the parking lot of a Starbucks - when he had the car only a month or so. He had paused - waiting for a car to pass left to right - so that HE could then go right and join the traffic flow. The ditz's were not paying attention to the amount of pressure a brake pedal needs to keep a 5,000lb land-yacht in check and were, simultaneously, yelling at him to move it!

Net result - they hit him -- and damaged the rear bumper.

He drove straight across the road to another parking lot and motioned them to stop also.
They blamed HIM for backing into them and pooh-poohed the 'damage' that they had caused calling it a mere scratch and, living in New York, he should be 'accepting' of such 'collateral' damage.

He called the cops.

He had to get a whole new rear bumper installed and painted -- and "the *** of the car" - paint blended - to match the new rear bumper also.

I have the bill (coz now I have the records) ...and -- back in 1996 -- the total cost came to a smidge over six thousand dollars.

(And yes, when, as a prospective buyer, I CARFAX'd the car, it came up as a car that had been in an accident.)

My advice to you - since you sound, like me, someone who takes a lot of pride in their steed - is to **get the car fixed to the best that it can be fixed** and tough bananas on the insurance company (hers).

OK, I feel much better now that the voices have stopped.

Gerry
Old 05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry to hear about your 993....when I was reading your post a few thoughts came to mind:

1 - Don't drive the car. If something got thrown off its not worth risk that something is truely screwed. Get it transported to the best body shop in your area. Its likely that your exhaust is rubbing against the crushed bumper and that is vibrating, but unless you are really sure don't drive it.

2 - Get the body shop to go through the car with a fine toothed comb. Its amazing on how little damage can really add up. I assume that the other person's insurance will cover the bill.

3 - Look on the bright side...if you have not already you can get rid of those pesky bumperettes on the rear and get it all cleaned up.

You can't go back once the car has an accident but if you find a really good body shop the car should look better than new. If you have rock chips etc on the front maybe its time for that respray that you always wanted to do... ?? :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-24-2007, 11:30 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Gerry,

I was amazed when we pulled off into a parking lot nearby to wait for the cops, the girl who hit me was trying to minimize the damage and say "it isn't that bad, do we really need to wait around, I need to get home." Needless to say I was not amused.

I don't know what kind of blending will be required for the paint, but the paint on my car is excellent, I don't think there's any fading (it's always been garaged/covered). Is black and easy color to match? I really don't want to end up with paint "blending" into other panels, that would drive me nuts.

My concern is, the only panel affected is the rear bumper from the outside, but it wasn't a light hit. No glass broken, no lights broken, the bumper took all of the impact. On top of the repaint, the rattling noise has me worried.

I have Progressive, they said I can either file the claim with them, or file the claim with HER insurance company... does anyone have any advice on how to handle this?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Warren Halsey
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This kind of thing also happened to me at a gas station. The woman behind me at the island was moving her car forward after previously stopping short of the pump, so that the hose would reach, she failed to bring her legs into the car to apply the brake (older car, no safety keeping you from putting the car into gear without applying the brake). Net result, she used my 993 to stop her 1986 Mercury. I let her have a bit of my mind. She told me that I needed to go to church (as her filthy mouth is puking cuss words), and suggested that I should be on drugs like she is!!!! No insurance of course, no job, no assets, no brain!!!!!

Absolute frustration. The body shop repaired the damage quite well, but Blackie is scarred for life. It still ticks me off just thinking about it.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:47 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Warren - you didn't want an 86 Mercury?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:47 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Thanks Gerry,

I was amazed when we pulled off into a parking lot nearby to wait for the cops, the girl who hit me was trying to minimize the damage and say "it isn't that bad, do we really need to wait around, I need to get home." Needless to say I was not amused.

I don't know what kind of blending will be required for the paint, but the paint on my car is excellent, I don't think there's any fading (it's always been garaged/covered). Is black and easy color to match? I really don't want to end up with paint "blending" into other panels, that would drive me nuts.

<snip>
The DARKER the color the 'easier' it is to get a paint match. The WORST is silver.

Even with copious amounts of waxing etc. our paint DOES change and oxidize. The body repair shop will use both your VIN (to get the correct paint-code) and electronic-optical devices to derive the paint formula 'that best matches'. As said, black (darkest) is the easiest to match. I personally wouldn't fret so long as the body/paint shop is reputable and has experience doing "high end automobiles" and not just Chevy Citations.

When they are applying the clear coat they might decide to 'blend' onto the lower trunk area and part of the rear hips (where the rear lights are) - but they'll know best when the time comes.

Just remember that THEIR job -- as the body/paint dudes -- is to make it look like 'it' never happened. Nine times out of ten -- success is achieved. Word of mouth (reputation) is big in this particular industry.

Your baby got a black eye, it wasn't your fault, just know that there will come a day, this summer, when you will get her back and she'll be as good as new. Just don't develop an ulcer 'fretting about it' in the meantime.

Gerry
Old 05-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Mike J. - use this an opportunity to do a mod, such as no bumperettes, etc. This may make it a slight bit more palettable of a situation.

Also, in addition to having the body shop go over it with a fine toothed comb, make sure a very good wrench sees it and make that clear that will happen to the insurance adjuster (not just a body issue).
Old 05-24-2007, 11:54 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surprised your insurance company would give you a choice of whether to go after her insurance - definitely make her and her insurance co. pay.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:01 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TroyN
Surprised your insurance company would give you a choice of whether to go after her insurance - definitely make her and her insurance co. pay.
That's how I feel also - but I don't want to end up in a situation where her insurance company (some small no-name company) gives me a hard time with the claim. I don't know if I can, at that point, change my mind and have MY insurance company (Progressive) deal with it.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:03 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The thing that really bothers me is, I wouldn't have been driving in 5 o'clock traffic in my 993, except that I had to pick up my STOLEN Honda at the wrecker.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Greg-

This is the only place you want to do the work around here:

http://www.samuelsauto.com/

The best in Central Florida.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:27 PM
biotechee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pcar-

I had Progressive. Operative word being "had". In the time that I had them as my agent, my family was in three (3) accidents. All were not our fault and are either documented as such or were handled discretely by the offender. Now to the point: be careful with Progressive. When I was hit from behind (while at a standstill) and pushed into the stopped car in front of me, Progressive tried to get me to go to their approved shop (not through my BMW dealer). Their reasoning? If they went through my dealer, they might not be able to get the other guy's insurance company to pay for the premium repairs!!!! Not my problem! Another time, they were so lazy in pursuing the other insurance company that I basically ended up dealing directly with the other company and got the issues resolved rather painlessly. It's funny how quickly offending insurance companies bend when you provide a police report and mention "my lawyer is patiently waiting by the phone to discuss the issues at hand." The third time, the offender stepped up and took care of the bills because he didn't want the accident on his insurance record.

My recommendation would be to let Progressive go after the insurance company (if not, why pay them for your coverage), but keep a very close watch and do not settle for anything that will potentially not meet your expectations. Get it fixed where you want to get it fixed, and make Progressive do the leg work. I'm guessing you will have to step in eventually and offer some "direction". But, I hope this resolves itself rapidly and painlessly.... Also, wath your premiums. After the series of three accidents, my premiums went up a lot. The excuse? Increased costs and PA state mandates. BS.

I now have Erie. Not sure how good they are with accidents and I hope to never have to find out....

Good luck and sorry to hear that someone was careless and not paying attention. It is very frustrating to say the least.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by biotechee
My recommendation would be to let Progressive go after the insurance company (if not, why pay them for your coverage), but keep a very close watch and do not settle for anything that will potentially not meet your expectations.
+1

Progressive should pay you, then go after the other insurance company for reimbursement.

Very sorry to hear about the accident, but glad no one was hurt.

I see someone else replied with body shop in Orlando. I live in Melbourne; a great shop here who handled my Euro Turbo bumper install is "Body's by Doug." Matched my Arena Red paint perfectly.

Best of luck with the repair!

-Chris

Quick Reply: 993 Rear-Ended