Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:39 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biotechee
Pcar-

I had Progressive. Operative word being "had". In the time that I had them as my agent, my family was in three (3) accidents. All were not our fault and are either documented as such or were handled discretely by the offender. Now to the point: be careful with Progressive. When I was hit from behind (while at a standstill) and pushed into the stopped car in front of me, Progressive tried to get me to go to their approved shop (not through my BMW dealer). Their reasoning? If they went through my dealer, they might not be able to get the other guy's insurance company to pay for the premium repairs!!!! Not my problem! Another time, they were so lazy in pursuing the other insurance company that I basically ended up dealing directly with the other company and got the issues resolved rather painlessly. It's funny how quickly offending insurance companies bend when you provide a police report and mention "my lawyer is patiently waiting by the phone to discuss the issues at hand." The third time, the offender stepped up and took care of the bills because he didn't want the accident on his insurance record.

My recommendation would be to let Progressive go after the insurance company (if not, why pay them for your coverage), but keep a very close watch and do not settle for anything that will potentially not meet your expectations. Get it fixed where you want to get it fixed, and make Progressive do the leg work. I'm guessing you will have to step in eventually and offer some "direction". But, I hope this resolves itself rapidly and painlessly.... Also, wath your premiums. After the series of three accidents, my premiums went up a lot. The excuse? Increased costs and PA state mandates. BS.

I now have Erie. Not sure how good they are with accidents and I hope to never have to find out....

Good luck and sorry to hear that someone was careless and not paying attention. It is very frustrating to say the least.
Thanks biotechee, I just called the other driver's insurance company and started the ball rolling. I was actually surprised that my Progressive adjuster didn't even mention the possibility of them dealing with the other insurance company - basically he said it's up to me who I wanted to deal with.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:46 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks everyone for the advice and support, Rennlist is great!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:14 PM
allill
Drifting

Man, accidents suck. At least you are ok, it could be much worse than just bent metal and broken plastic.

Get the car to a shop you know and trust and not their recommended one. It doesn't sound like you need any body work, just a bumper right? Get one without bumperettes! Have them wet sand the entire car after to get rid of any orange peel and the car will look good as new!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:28 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As much as I dislike your comments, I'm very sorry to hear about your accident. It would be best to get the claim started through your insurance company and let them go after hers.

My wife was involved in an accident in her Mercedes three weeks ago and that's how we handled it with great results.

Good Luck!...............ZP44
Old 05-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pcar - that just bites! sorry to hear it. Good luck with the process...
Old 05-24-2007, 01:38 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
As much as I dislike your comments, I'm very sorry to hear about your accident. It would be best to get the claim started through your insurance company and let them go after hers.

My wife was involved in an accident in her Mercedes three weeks ago and that's how we handled it with great results.

Good Luck!...............ZP44
Thanks man
Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 PM
biotechee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah- almost forgot- if you are going to be dealing with the offender's insurance directly- take down dates/times/notes of conversations with the agent / other driver with as much detail as you can stomach. I am not saying the agent will be out to get you, but they are recording you from their end and will be able to provide their transcipts should they need them....

If you had the cops come and create an accident report- go get a copy. Keep a copy for yourself, then provide copies to your agent and the other insurance company. If the other driver is listed on the report as the "at fault" party, you will have a much easier time getting your issues resolved.

Might want to also consider notifying your insurance agent that you have made contact, and keep them updated with your progress. If your agent is good, he/she should be willing to step in and help if you need it. Remember, you pay them a lot of money during the course of a year for their service, and their service should be more than just issuing you a piece of paper with an expiration date and policy number on it when the need arises!

Sorry for such long posts but all the crap I went through a couple years back is rapidly coming back to my memory (and that's no small accomplishment!!!)

Again, good luck and I am sure it will all turn out for the best!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:52 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Greg...

Sorry to hear about this. Anytime I read of a fellow Rennlister getting there 993 banged up it seems like it hurts everyone who owns one. We feel your pain.

Black is an easy color to match/blend. I don't think you'll have any issues there. As far as the rattling is concerned-----there is a thin metal bar that runs along the inside of the bumper to hold its shape. It may be rattling ? How about the pulley or fan shroud housing ? Last but not least, check your heat shields/cat converter/muffler clamps and clearances...these are all areas susceptible to movement in a rear end bump and could be causing your nuisance noise.

Best of luck---and keep reminding yourself that in a month or so you're car will look better than before !!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Good luck, pcar. What a hassle. You mihgt be able to make lemonade out of lemons, though.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:59 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

I once had someone bump me in the rear in an old car I had. I trusted him to have the bumper fixed, and he did. We never called the police or anything like that. I hear of people doing that a lot to keep the police and insurance out of it, but do you have any recourse at all if you give the other person the opportunity to pay for it without going through their insurance company, and they back out?
Old 05-24-2007, 02:20 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Originally Posted by David Edwards
I once had someone bump me in the rear in an old car I had. I trusted him to have the bumper fixed, and he did. We never called the police or anything like that. I hear of people doing that a lot to keep the police and insurance out of it, but do you have any recourse at all if you give the other person the opportunity to pay for it without going through their insurance company, and they back out?
Easiest way is to take down all the insurance details beforehand, so you have them, and if need be you can fall back on it if things don't go your way.

It also depends on your state of residence and the amount of damage (CA has a notification requirement above damage of $500 IIRC).

Best of luck with the fix Greg!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 PM
mborkow
Drifting

my 993 was black metallic and i got bumped in the rear (while my car was parked overnight in a garage!). the repaint matched perfectly and i got a brand new bumper (the old one had a few scrapes, etc). on a black car i do not think i would get the bumperette delete in the rear; you can't see the bumperettes anyway, and they do server to protect the car (i'd rather have a bumperette dinged than the bumper). good luck with the repairs
Old 05-24-2007, 02:32 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Sorry to hear about the accident. Good luck with the repair.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:34 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to disagree about using your insurance company. I've had the unfortunate experience of doing it both ways and when the party at fault is clearly the other driver you should try to deal directly with her insurer.

Generally if you claim through your company they will pay you minus your deductible and refund the deductible if/when her company pays. In my case I never saw the deductible. Perhaps more importantly, in most cases if you deal with her company directly you'll keep the accident off your company's records. You absolutely want to inform your company (which you have) in the unlikely event the liability turns around on you, but in essence if you file a claim with your company it's still going on their books as a claim, even if it's not your fault. If the liability is clear (which with a rear-ender it usually is) then her company will have little wiggle room.

In preparation for the repair "discussion" arm yourself with some data. Even though you will likely not use it, get a repair estimate from a local PCar dealer. Then get an estimate from the high quality shop you want to use and encourage them to beat the dealer's price. Now you can take your two estimates in and offer to get the cheaper repair. If they argue, then you have three choices: Take them to small claims court (a complete PITA but a likely successful route), file with your insurance company, or just accept what her insurance company will give you and pay the difference. I've had to do this twice with my wife's cars where she was clearly not at fault and both times I found the other person's insurance company to be pretty reasonable and ultimately willing to pay the full amount. This was especially true when she got rear-ended as the insurance company was relieved that we wern't going to try to sue for medical damages.

One last thing, take pictures of the damage! This is very useful both if you end up in small claims court and also if/when you sell the car to reassure the new buyer that the damage wasn't that bad. Worst case you don't need the photos and you can just throw them away.

These situations stink but other that the time it takes to straighten this out you should be able to get things put right. Most importantly, no one was hurt.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Also, get an estimate on repairing the engine damage. That should also be covered by her insurance co.

Quick Reply: 993 Rear-Ended