Valentine One mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 04:37 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Valentine One mirror

Came across this today, no affilation ... local guy in Boston who takes OEM Porsche rearview mirrors and installs the Valentine One remote display inside, $350 ... a bit pricey, but I suppose if you are getting a whole new mirror, housing and Valentine One remote ...

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/pts/263316632.html

Old 01-16-2007, 05:29 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the link.

They use the remote display and fit parts of it in the mirror. Not a bad idea, except at night, imo. I saw two of these mirror installs in person, but both times, the installer placed the V1 inside the glove compartment. Which is dull.

I had sent an email to Mike V, a while ago, asking to put remote display to a GPS interface, perhaps using bluetooth. However, I don't think that is going to happen in near term.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:33 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ths would be brilliant if you could incorporate the antennae as well. Since you can't, you still have the V1 main unit sitting up there right next to the mirror.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:50 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I think some folks build themselves a little stealthy box and put the V1 in the back window on top of the package tray.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:02 PM
ukchris
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This way you can hardly even tell I have a V1, no tell tale rubber suckers on the windshield and it still has great visibility. I've made a similar rack for a 996/997 that you can see here:

Same idea, mount it in the back out of the way so it's not too obvious. I've also just made a "RadarSock" which is for all intents and purposes a small black bag that is over my V1 just in case someone peers in.

I'll have a power and volume control in the dash as soon as I get round to soldering it too.

I don't understand the comment about putting the V1 in the glove box, surely it wouldn't work in there? And finally, for GPS, a guy I know from mp3car has created a PC interface that is intended to display the warnings on a CarPC and also track the GPS locations of bogeys for later review and auto-muting.

Hope some of this helps.

PS. Seems I can't post or link images, if you're interested please PM me or email if you'd like copies.

Chris.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:54 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

ukchris - You can't link or post images, as you are not a member, and IIRC we cannot PM you for the same reason.
That said: I'd like to see those links. I may not do this in my Porsche as it's a cab and I can't figure out where to put the box in a cab, but I might in my S4.

Where would one put a V1 box in a cab? The mirror, while not ideal, would be good so as to not have additional "grab-able” items visible in a cab. Does V1 make a remote sensor system?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:59 PM
ukchris
Track Day

Thanks for the explanation Russ, I have a V1 in my Boxster, it's mounted int he back by the wind deflector. When I first made these I made a little site for them, it's not a business just a hobby but there are pictures there. The site name is radarrack just add some w's on the start and the most common extension on the end.

Do you have any pictures of the rear of your 993 cab? I wonder if something similar is viable or if the hood would obscure it when it is down.

You can mail be directly as lawlessc at gmail if needed.

Chris.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:07 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The best solution I saw on the net a while ago was in a BMW. They used the led display in the dashboard to give the valentine warnings. Those led normally are used to tell you things like your lights are on when you leave the car, or that the windscreen washer tank is empty etc... Not visible from outside and perfectly stealth!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alternate places to hide a V1?

In the fresh air vent on top of the hood? (Couldn't see behind?)

In the front grill openings? (Are V1's water tight?)

Mounted in the third brake light area on '96+ cars?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:55 AM
ukchris
Track Day

Originally Posted by Toga
The best solution I saw on the net a while ago was in a BMW. They used the led display in the dashboard to give the valentine warnings. Those led normally are used to tell you things like your lights are on when you leave the car, or that the windscreen washer tank is empty etc... Not visible from outside and perfectly stealth!
Yes, I've seen a similar one for a BMW and an Audi, I think both were discontinued though. The BWM one integrated with the I-Bus, the Audio with the CAN Bus which looked interesting as current Porsche models use the same approach.

If you're interested I can make the remote display much slimmer, as standard it is about 1" deep, maybe more. I can make that about 1/4" so it can be almost flush mounted to the dash or cluster.

Chris.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I, too, looking into this but they didn't provide me with a reasonable explanation of WHERE the antenna unit would have to go. Sure, it's nice to remote the displays from sticking out but if the head unit can't be hidden as well, what's the point?

I wound up going in this direction:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...entine+Install
Old 01-17-2007, 06:00 PM
ukchris
Track Day

Dan, I can't post pictures (yet) but I can send you some pictures of a mount I made for the nack of a 997, I'm not sure how it would work in a Cab or if the same design could be modified but it works great in a Coupe. The bracket slots in to a gap behind the rear seats, runs up behind the seat then flattens off with a small platform for the V1 to sit on. You can still see it from the rear but it's far less obvious than on the windshield, I'm also testing a cover for my V1 to make it less obvious.

Chris.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:57 PM
billhart
Instructor

These Valentine 1 mirror displays have been around for years; actually a 350 dollar price is not bad, considering what these things cost when they were first available. I had a couple of cars set up like this and liked it- yes, you still need to find a place for the detector unit itself and yes, at night the displays are visible, but I'm less likely to be driving hard in the dark than during the day, when the visibility of the display is less of an issue. Frankly, though, I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother with these fancy installs anymore- simply have a hardwire pulled up near the rearview mount and plug the Valentine in there- no dangling wires to cigarette lighter- mounting on its suction cups in proximity- usually to the driver's left- of the rearview mirror. It is virtually invisible from the outside, gives you the same kind of easy display since you are naturally looking to the rearview anyway- and you can reach up to mute or adjust without bother. I have this setup in my 993 C4 cabrio as well as my Lambo- both work like a charm. Usually, the mirror mounted displays have the volume/mute switch built into the mirror, on the underside somewhere.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Now if only there was a reasonable place to hide the head unit. I may have to do some work on this...
Old 01-17-2007, 09:10 PM
ukchris
Track Day

Okay, I have a question. Several people have asked me about 993 mirrors so I'm going to order one to take a look at. It seems there are two OEM parts, the mirror changed in mid 1995 from part number 477-857-511-a-01c to part number 000-731-511-00-01c. The differences may be minor or they may not fit at all. Do any of you happen to know the production dates for the 993 and how this date fits in to it? Any feeling on if it's better to try one or the other or should I aim to try both?

Chris.

Quick Reply: Valentine One mirror