Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Valentine One mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 10:04 AM
ukchris
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered both mirrors, one is a week out though so as soon as they're here R&D can start on them. If anyone wants first dibs on either one let me know soon.

Chris.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Rudolph
Advanced

I own both the V1 (with remote display) and the K40 (installed in my 993). I've run both systems side by side and I've found that the V1 gives more false alerts. It seems to me, with the cost of the Valentine units and the remote display (let alone the cost of the mirror display), I will install another K40 in my future vehicles to achieve better integration.

I thought the point of the Valentine remote display was not to advertise the use of the detector at night. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see the benefit of the remote display being integrated in the rearview mirror given that I believe that you still need to mount the Valentine unit to your wind screen or visor.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:15 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have read that someone disassembled a V1 and figured out how to mount the front and rear antennae remotely. Getting the big black box off the windshield should be the #1 priority.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:44 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
I have read that someone disassembled a V1 and figured out how to mount the front and rear antennae remotely.
Mike V posted somewhere on Rennlist (I can't find it) an explanation of why this won't work properly. It had something to do with the (now improperly and extremely) delayed signal that the control electronics end up receiving.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:46 PM
ukchris
Track Day

Originally Posted by Rudolph
I own both the V1 (with remote display) and the K40 (installed in my 993). I've run both systems side by side and I've found that the V1 gives more false alerts. It seems to me, with the cost of the Valentine units and the remote display (let alone the cost of the mirror display), I will install another K40 in my future vehicles to achieve better integration.

I thought the point of the Valentine remote display was not to advertise the use of the detector at night. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see the benefit of the remote display being integrated in the rearview mirror given that I believe that you still need to mount the Valentine unit to your wind screen or visor.
To me the point of the remote display is to give greater flexibility in where you locoate it, be it for stealth or convenience. I wouldn't advocate the mirror being ideal in all cases, it works for me and that's why I like it. For a stealthier approach I have considered doing a mirror that looks more like a compass than a radar detector so it's not as obvious.

Quick Reply: Valentine One mirror