Springs and shock choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs and shock choices

Hi all.

I am considering, based on several responses, changing out the suspension in the 993. It is bone stock now. ALL have said go the ROW/Billstein route. Are there any other choices? Not that I don't want to BUT there are many other spring and supension vendors i.e. Koni which I have used for my M3's.

Thoughts and reasons please.

Thx
Old 01-09-2007, 10:11 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go the ROW/Bilstein route. Other springs choices are H&R (a little stiff) and Eibach (reportedly don't last too long-begin to sag). And you won't find a better shock absorber for our cars than Bilstein HD's.
chuck
Old 01-09-2007, 10:15 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Before we can answer the question, you need to tell us what car you have (coupe/cab) and how you intend to drive it (daily driver, autocross, DE, track). The answers to these questions will change the recommendation.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:09 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Custom valved Bilstein HD's & H&R springs here....soo much better than the US crap suspension that words can't due the difference justice!

ZP44
Old 01-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Thanks all.

I have a 95 C4 Cab. I drive VERY agressively but do not want/need a coilover kit.

I have had 0 issues with Eibach in the past on the m3's BUT perhaps their spec for Porsches are different for some reason.

I hear NO ONE running Konis on the Porsche's. That is surprising to me.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:10 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I hear NO ONE running Konis on the Porsche's. That is surprising to me.
Why is that surprising? Which Konis would you suggest for a 993? Part numbers please.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:19 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

As RallyJon might (or might not) know, there are no Konis that fit 993's anymore AFAIK. So that's not an option. Eibachs aren't considered good choices AFAIK because they lower your car with about the same spring rates, so there's not a good shock choice. Don't forget that Porsche 993's are not subarus; there really aren't many choices for a lot of our mods.

So Jukelemon, I think you already have your answer.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:24 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the PSS9's but only went with them because the cost difference versus just adding Bilstein HD's to my RoW springs seemed reasonable for the added flexibility of a coil-over system. I've heard of 911/930 turbos from the mid 1980's still running their original Bilsteins and understand that they can be removed and refreshed for alot less than new shocks. I'd go Bilsteins and RoW springs if you are trying for good quality but a slightly less pricey set-up than the PSS9's.
p.s. the new owner of my RoW springs said he's going to get Bilstein HD's when he does the install if thats any indication of what people like around here.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Jukelmon,
I have the ROW M030 shocks and springs (recently replaced) if you want to see how it feels. Based on my experience with my previous 993 with Bilstein HDs they are very similar. But I would do the Bilsteins due to the longevity of them over the stock shocks.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:45 PM
smddanny
Instructor

I have just insalled the bilstein hd shocks with eibach springs. I am very happy with this setup and it is a huge improvement both in ride quality and control over the stock setup.

I did measure the eibachs before installation. The static stack height was about the same and I found that the diameter of the wire and the coils were similar to M030 USA springs ... the number of turns and pitch was different so I don't think the spring rates were the same as the factory springs. Didn't know that eibach was the subject of negative feedback. Are there any other happy eibach users out there that care to report??

Danny Shapiro
96 993 TT
Old 01-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Why is that surprising? Which Konis would you suggest for a 993? Part numbers please.
It is surprising sir because Koni makes a very good shock AND it is the preferred shock for BMW upgrades. My assumption would then be Koni would be in this market as well. Bad assumption as indicated by the info on Koni no longer making shocks for the 993.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had Eibachs in my car before and they were fine. That being said, I switched to M030 Bilstein HD combo during the Viperbob group buy last year.

Andial, when they were still around, only sold Eibachs for the 993 as I recall. They were good enough for Andial at least.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Jukelmon,
I have the ROW M030 shocks and springs (recently replaced) if you want to see how it feels. Based on my experience with my previous 993 with Bilstein HDs they are very similar. But I would do the Bilsteins due to the longevity of them over the stock shocks.
Greg:

I know a greg Fishman, Transy grad. That is not you is it?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jukelemon
Greg:

I know a greg Fishman, Transy grad. That is not you is it?
Yes, that is me. Small world.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

I was a Pike. Chip was my big brother. We passed in the night probably a couple of times

Anyway, nice to meet up with you again.

I was at the reunion party a couple of summers ago-didn't see you there.

Quick Reply: Springs and shock choices