Sponsored by:

OT? New parent, new Porsche- overcoming the guilt

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:05 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

A friend told me when I found out my wife was pregnant, "The best gift you can give your child is a well-rounded, put-together YOU." I think the 993 is a part of that rounding and glue to keep me put together. I think she even laughed and said I'd probably be a hero for awhile, anyway...top opens up, goes on a race track, etc. etc. Never looked back. My mom bought me a Euro plate that says "FIRSTBORN" for the 993 ;

You have to find something to help with grounding in this crazy lifestyle...if it is a Porsche, tell people the family is getting off cheap. At $7+ a pack in Manhattan, cigarettes would add up and do absolutely no good at all. $12 for a drink...you get the point. Nothing but big pluses from a 993

I can teach the value of a dollar in earning for a Porsche; the value of caring for your things in the maintenance; the pride of ownership; the humility to realize not everyone is so blessed to drive such a fine marque; the wonder at what a focused group of humans can do...such as nearly hand building a 993.

Good investment in my son, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:10 PM
KLSpeed27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
I must have the best wife in the world, because even though I tried to get her to guilt me out over it, she said "You work hard to support us, so you deserve the car! Now sit down, have a beer while I make us dinner, then I'll put the kids to bed early so we can have sex."

Perhaps I embellish the story a wee bit (I don't usually eat dinner), but it has been a guilt-free ride so far.
All of us married guys know that's a true story....

My two girls love to ride around in dad's cool car! My 9 and 3 year olds fit perfectly back there, so don't worry about them out-growing it any time soon.
It is truely the perfect sports/family car!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:21 PM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 129 Posts

I told everyone I bought the 911s because of the back seats (which is partly true). I was very close to getting a Maranello right after I had my son, but the thought of him not being able to ride in it until he was 10 was a big factor in my only considering 911s with back seats. After he was 1 yr and 20 lbs, I fitted a child seat in the rear of the 964 and have had it in there for 3.5 years straight now. Now I have a bigger seat in the back of the 993. If I couldn't take him in the car, I do think I would have 1) sold the one I had when he was born, and 2) not bought the second.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have lost a few gf's over the p-cars. Too bad. I made sure to get my motorcycle before I recently got engaged. And I think I will upgrade to a 1200GS before the wedding. Luckily, I already had all the guns and guitars I wanted before any of that. Get it while you can and never give it up except for health reasons.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself!!! You have alot of nerve treating yourself to such a friveless and selfish material object

Just think of it as a tax on the family for being the almighty, thankless financial provider

Think of your wife and child as a special interest group if you will. They simply represent a self imposed social program. The rest is rightfully yours.

Worked for me...

Last edited by CN; 04-10-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 AM
ramn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only a few more years and you can not get them out...great bonding time....
Cheers,
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2007, 01:04 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say the guilt you feel is normal. And you feel a little guilt because you are a responsible person. And as a responsible person, you know you probably haven't jeopardized your family's financial future or you would not have the car.
Congratulations!
chuck
Old 04-10-2007, 01:15 AM
DBYT
Pro

I got my 993 about a year ago when my daughter was 18mths old, about 2 yrs later than planned because I went through the same issue of practicality of a having a 993 with a baby and all the accompanying issues. We bought an SL Benz instead because it had a boot/trunk for carrying the stroller etc. After 2 years of owning an SL, which was my idea of a compromise car, I said, "screw it" and with the wife's support, went out and found a 993, which is what I have always wanted anyway. Financially, the Porsche has been a much better decision - much lower running and maintenance costs than an SL500 and all 3 of us love the 993.

My 2 and a half yr old daughter loves going out with me on our little drives and giggles like crazy when we hit the twisties. She loves nothing more than for me to drive the car as intended and sits in her baby seat egging me on saying, "Weeee!!! Faster, Daddy, faster!"

It has been a great tool to help us form a closer family bond as my wife has always been a Porsche fan (she used to be an engineer in her previous life and had worked closely with Porsche engineers on development of their catlytic systems). She still maintains that Porsches are the best bang for buck car out there...something I have used and will continue to use to my advantage :-).

So based on my experience, enjoy both the car and your daughter. Forget about what people say, the fact that you have posted here about this shows that you aren't an irresponsible/irrational parent, who puts his enjoyment above that of the welfare of his child. Congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful daughter too.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:42 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

I have a two month old boy (first one). I bought my 993 (second Porsche) because it was my dream car. The wife was full thumbs up and her enthusiasm infected her side of the family. Everybody in my life knows that I work hard, that my family comes first, and that I am a very passionate person. I would never jeopardize my family's future for my sake, all my family members and close friends recognize this, and as such, are happy....that I am happy.

If you haven't given them reason to doubt your sincerity, love of life & family...then I wouldn't worry too much about what others may think. Your joy at having achieved a personal goal will speak for itself. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

Blue Skies,
Dave

Quick Reply: OT? New parent, new Porsche- overcoming the guilt