Sponsored by:

OT? New parent, new Porsche- overcoming the guilt

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:30 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT? New parent, new Porsche- overcoming the guilt

My first child should be born before the end of the month (prolly a girl). Was anyone else a new parent before they got their 993?

I'm already preparing for the guilt trip from friends and family, "You bought what? If you make that much money, you should save it for their college, or invest for the family. Shouldn't you get something with four doors (OK, $90K for an M5 )" etc., etc.

Anyone else had similar experience?
How did you deal with it?

Good news is, the wife is very supportive. My other cars will all be paid for by then (including two very practical, late-model sedans). I guess the question is, is one car payment between the two of us such an awful thing? There should be plenty of time to heavy-up the college saving after the P-car is paid off. I'm thinking about just saying, "Ah, but it's just an old one...no big deal."
Old 01-05-2007, 01:43 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

dcdude68, from the moment your child will be home, all the household attention will be directed to him/her. Better spoil yourself BEFORE he/she is born because there no spoiling AFTER
Cheers!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:44 PM
ChicagoFX(993)
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my '97 993S and I'm not a parent yet...though my GF would like to get married and start in. I'm having a bit too much fun at the moment though

The 993 IS a family car, look, it has backseats...
Old 01-05-2007, 01:48 PM
SinVancouver
Instructor

I put my now 4 year old in the back and will put my 8 month old in as soon as he's forward facing size.. we should be able to go out all together in the 993 in a few months..

Its a 2+2.. 2 Parents, 2 Kids...

SinVancouver
Old 01-05-2007, 01:48 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I was a parent of a 1 YO when I got my p-car. The day I brought the car home, an older neighbor came over and told me that was the smartest thing I could have done. He says that the "window" of opportunity shortens big time when the kids get older (high school etc) and money is tighter. Makes sense - most p-car owners either get their car before kids or after. If you wait - it may never happen. Actually Terry Schiavo was the biggest reason I got the car. Life can change on a dime. Funny - most were running out getting living wills, I ran out out to the Porsche dealer!

If you want to feel better start a 529 plan for your child - not alot of cash and great shelter.

Last edited by tj90; 01-05-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:49 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've gotten the guilt-trip, I just ignore them!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Dude, have a head shake. What you paid for your Porsche won't even come close to the hundreds of thousands of dollars you will be spending on your family for houses, private schools, college, marriages, kids cars, downpayments for their first homes, etc, etc, etc. I gave up a larger impala convertible when I got married for a much smaller Camero right when we had my daughter. If I knew what I would spend on her down the road, I would have gotten a 68 427 shelby cobra for more money. I figure my long time passion for cars is a fair trade for the comfortable life I have given my family by travelling the world busting my butt at work. If anyone says anything about your Porsche, just tell them "you're right, I'm going to trade it in for a bad *** turbo". Enjoy your toys but keep them in perspective to your family needs. Besides, wanting exotic sports cars is a good motivator to be successful in life and your family reaps the rewards.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

I was/am. My first fit very well in the Porsche 993 AND I could reach her easily if need be ( :

Here is the thing, Dad's do more these days. Plain and simple. The days of supporting a family and being valued for only that is way over. So, if we are going to have to take kid duty, which is fine, it is going to be on our terms....like in the back of a 993 ( :

Really and when it comes down to it, money is money and some people-well a lot of people, spend so much money on crap that has 0 inherent value i.e. drinks, dinner, clothes, mostly anything from Wal Mart etc... The "consumed" from consumers is mostly waste. And people just don't see it. A Porsche is a very good "durable item" that provides many uses AND will hold an inherent value.....did I mention I could reach her easily from the front seat ( :
Old 01-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

All of my kids love Daddy's racecar (see avatar). Don't sweat it. Make your car into something you can enjoy together.

You could, but don't have to, tell them all that their giant roll-over prone SUVs most likely cost more than your 993.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy do i understand you, I got a baby boy last saturday and my 993 is arriving from the US in about 4-5 weeks. I've been feeling guilty reading and browsing for 993 stuff when i should have been using time on reading "what to expect the first year" and vice versa.

I bought the 993 as my car no.3 and I have been thinking of what people think about that.
At least i know i will not be loosing money on the 993. And as we dont have to pay for education over here thats not a major issue

Like someone said, at least its a "four" seater. Then i also thought, I only live once, what a heck !

I totally understand you bro

Eggert
Norway

Last edited by Akerlie; 01-05-2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 01-05-2007, 02:18 PM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When you get the guilt-trip, take the 993 on a road trip!

My girls were 6 and 1 when I bought my 993. As has been said before, most of the mini vans that parents drive are worth more than our Porkers. The girls love riding in the 993 and get excited if daddy takes them out.

My wife is happy as long as she gets a new car every three years and we can afford the mortgage and a decent vacation every year.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Let me spin it another way and I am being VERY serious. If Porsches are what you enjoy-I mean really enjoy in terms of getting in, smelling the leather, starting it up, driving etc. then that enjoyment and stress release will be a HUGE benefit to you as a new father. Kids are hard-very hard. Hardest thing I have ever done actually and stress relief, for both you and your wife, is essential or you will raise a very anxious child.

So, if it is for anything other than pure, to the core/soul release, then don't. But if it is, like it is for me, then do and your family and wife will thank you for it when you are calm and can react accoridngly to your child's needs.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:42 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screw what other people think, and that includes the inlaws.

At the end of the day, if you can say to yourself: "I am doing
a good job w/ my kids" , then there is nothing more to judge.

Enjoy your car, man.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I must have the best wife in the world, because even though I tried to get her to guilt me out over it, she said "You work hard to support us, so you deserve the car! Now sit down, have a beer while I make us dinner, then I'll put the kids to bed early so we can have sex."

Perhaps I embellish the story a wee bit (I don't usually eat dinner), but it has been a guilt-free ride so far.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 556 Posts

I bought my first 911 at age 44, with 3 kids about ready to enter college. Everybody at work said I was way overdue, my wife understood, and really I was the only one second guessing my decision. Wasted brain cycles.

Quick Reply: OT? New parent, new Porsche- overcoming the guilt