Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60K Service - the good, the bad, the stuck...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 60K Service - the good, the bad, the stuck...

Finally started my 60K service today to get the Hippo ready for her first track event of the year, 4/28-29 at Thunderhill.

What went well:
- Oil drain, large oil filter
- Tranny fluid change
- Start pulling sparkplugs (pulled right side engine tin to get access to the #5 and #6 intake plugs.
- Fuel Filter

What didn't go so well:
- Tranny fill plug was installed by Conan the Barbarian. Took a 3' breaker bar, to discover there was no crush washer used by the moron.
- I've got a crack/bend in the #6 exhaust plug wire. But no budget for new wires this year. Gonna have to band aid that one for the season...

What's Stuck:
- The small oil filter is permanently attached the to car. Punching holes in it, impugning it's heritage, etc. I just have the mangled remains of an oil filter up in the engine. Tyson has some sort of special tool that might help.
- The distributor won't budge. It rocks, it rolls, but it won't eject.

What's left to do:
- Clutch master/slave
- Brake flush and bleed
- Fill the hole in the dash where the radio was
- RS Pulley and new belts
- Maybe flush the power steering

But it's time for a glass or three of wine, so no more progress until next Sunday...

If anyone has any ideas about the small filter or the distributor, suggest away!

Don
Old 04-08-2007, 11:04 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

My distributor didn't budge with any pulling. I used a pry bar about 12 inches long, that has a little rocker-shaped hook at one end. Put that puppy under the distributor, and it eased it out with little effort.

For the stuck oil filter, I've had success with the three-prong wrench sold by Sears for $13 (and by Snap-On for $33). It gets tighter as torque is increased.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:13 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WoW - I gotta forward this to my friend Dan - and he was complaining about his 60k service on his 993...

Old 04-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like it may be too late for you but my oil filter wouldn't budge and the oil filter "cap/socket" couldn't get a grip on the filter. I took one of those small single use tubes of Super Glue, ran it around the edge of the filter socket and jammed it up on the filter and let it set for about 15 min. After that the filter came off but I did throw away the socket, they're cheap.

As for the plug wire, I think you can buy individual wires, you don't have to buy the whole set.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:50 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I thought restringing the weed wacker was a little bit of a task today!!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:05 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a similar experience with a stubborn oil filter on a streetbike. Ended up heating the filter (carefully) with a torch. That, and a little persuasion with a pair of channellocks did the trick.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:34 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Don,
I'm not sure the tranny fill plug has a crush washer - when I replaced my fluid last year, the plugs came loose with a load 'snap'. I suspected the fluid to be original.

As for the plug wire - can the end be unscrewed from the wire? If so, clean the wire, slip a section of heat shrink tubing over the affected area, and strike a match.

Andreas
Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Flyingtexan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did mine, same problem. After breaking/stripping 2 of the socket type oil filter wrenches, I ended up using one with a strap. Looks like seat belt material attached to a square piece of tubing. It worked but it took several days of trying an repositioning. The brand name on it is Pennsoil....but I'm sure it Pennsoil-i-san from China.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don,

I changed my wires before they failed. I have my old #6 wire in good shape if you need it. Should not be a big deal to route one wire back to the distributor.

Last edited by Dudley; 04-09-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always used the Sears three-prong claw that tightens when torqued. Works every time and is a great tool to have.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:56 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Dave! Really appreciate it.

I'm working on getting that 3 prong claw wrench.

Just pulled the Disty out - yeah! Some soaking with oil, some leverage, and summoning the power of Zeus...

I'll get there!

Quick Reply: 60K Service - the good, the bad, the stuck...