Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT? New parent, new Porsche- overcoming the guilt

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 PM
lowblow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my car when my one and only sibling,(daughter), was 4. Unlike most of you guys I didn't know anything about Porsches. I was actually looking at buying an older american muscle car as a "date car" for my wife and I. It wasn't until I started my search that I became attracted to the "older" Porsches. As I did more and more investigation, I learned/ surmised, (as all of you have), that the 993 air cooled cars were the pinnacle of design and original engineering intent.

At that point my decision to buy one was made. I then struggled with the cost vs year/ mileage and other financial obligations as most of us I'm sure have. My wife and I purchased a Florida pre-paid college fund for my daughter within her first 6 months of life. We have since opened a 529 plan to provide for things the pre-paid doesn't.

Sorry for rambling but I think that what is important is that your priorities are in the right place. Buying something you love will make you appreciate everything more and will only heighten your resolve to continue to provide for your family.

As far as I'm concerned, my 993 IS a family car since my family consists of my wife and a 6 year old.

Ride in good health!
mike
Old 01-05-2007, 10:06 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own 3 vehicles, have a 1 year old son, college fund (529) set up at 3 weeks old after I received his social security card. College isnt even a worry because its already mapped out since pretty much dayone. I already have Porsche # 2 on the radar.

My parents contributuion to my college was proably one of the worst investments they made, my 1st year. After that, I paid for every penny of my school.

When the baby was on the way my friends said "So your probably getting rid of the Porsche and Bronco?" My res[onse was "Why, did I become poor or something."

Live your life and dont be influenced by what peoples thoughts are about a Porsche. I still travel like a mother fo for fun, I get out with the boys in other countries on trips, take trips with my family. Its just a car at the end of the day. Plus, your finances are no business of anyone accept you and your wife. Get the car, feel guilty if you dont. :-)

Who knows, your kid might grow up to be the next Gates, Dell, Waitt, Ellison, or Jobs. All took a swing at college, if Im not mistaken, and quit. Now look where they are at today. A bunch of billionaire college drop outs.

Just dont get a mini van!!!

If you dont get the car and regret it, dont worry. You havent lived if there is nothing in life you have not regret.

FYI-Utah has one of the top rated 529 plans in the nation. However, I do mine through Putnam.

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 01-05-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:39 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everybody has a little different plan of were they are trying to get. As long as you know what your priorities are, take care of them, and don't mess up the long term plan then don't worry about it. Once we got in a house we are happy with and got the right amount going away every month to reach my goal of retiring (at least from this career) at an early age, then it was a no brainer. To me it is a balance of enjoying life now and working hard to live the way I want after 50. The 993 is just the stress relief I need every day on the way home to keep my health.

I would feel far more guilty if I was driving a $60K SUV that was depreciating like a rock and the big picture wasn't taken care of. There are a lot of people in that situation rationalizing it because they "need it" for moving the kids and dogs. Come on, does a Hummer really have any more purpose than a 993? At least mine gets 20+ mpg and fits in a compact space. Sometimes they are the same ones giving you grief about driving your 911. So don't sweat it and enjoy the fact that your kids are getting an experience from this neat car too. Check out my avatar to the left too. That's a family car!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:42 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife encouraged me to do it mostly because every time my birthday, fathers day, or Christmas came around she would always ask me what I wanted... Not too hard to figure out what I kept repeating over and over! She was so tired of hearing it and she knew that it was something I really wanted. After getting the "Go ahead" from the wife, I waited until 993 prices were getting near the bottom, (See, not all emotional!) then I negotiated a great deal on the car I have always wanted. My daughter was 2-1/2 yrs. and my son was 10 months at the time I made the purchase last March. Of course all three of my cars are paid for ('04 Honda Odyssey & '07 4-Runner), I have a tennant paying for a rental house, I max out my 401k and Roth IRA contributions, and there is a 529 plan established for each kid. As long as you are being smart with your money and have a plan for the future, don't sweat it. I was worried what my and/or my wifes parents might think too, but everyone was on board with my decision, and I don't regret it even a little bit.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:17 PM
rmsheade
1st Gear

This is a great thread to find for my first post, I'm sitting here with my one-week-old son sleeping next to me, and trying to figure out why I just can't stop going on RL!!

I currently drive a 350Z that I bought a few years ago, and since we found out we were pregnant I've ben trying to figure out what to do as far as my car situation... my wife kept telling me that it didn't matter, we have one family car (her Altima) and that's fine, but I just kept thinking that I should buy something bigger...

I looked and looked and just couldn't find anything that I was all that enthused about, but then I decided to look at Porsche forums and now I'm very seriously considering a 993 or 996... I showed the wife and tongue-in-cheek mentioned that it has a backseat, so it's a good replacement for the Z - and she just says the car stuff's up to me and she trusts me to do whatever I want... but like the guy who started this thread I keep feeling guilty about it!!

This thread has so much insight that I never even considered, I think I'm in the right place!! It really is true that only you (and the wife) can decide how to provide for your family, and as long as you are providing and all involved agree on how, all other opinions matter very little...

Thanks for the heads-up on the 529 too, I'm definitely going to look into that ASAP...

Ryan
Old 01-05-2007, 11:40 PM
LuftKopf
Pro

You will have so much fun with your kid/kids, when they're ready, in this car, you'll have no regrets.

so much good support and advice on this thread...

congratulations on both new prizes.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:09 AM
BrokenE
Instructor

Hello,

If you are one of those guilty feeling dads or soon to be dads, and you feel really, really guilty....please sell your 993 to me. I will give you $16,000 (I did say really guilty).

Seriously... I you have the means, don't feel guilty. Enjoy it.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:15 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrokenE
Hello,

If you are one of those guilty feeling dads or soon to be dads, and you feel really, really guilty....please sell your 993 to me. I will give you $16,000 (I did say really guilty).

Seriously... I you have the means, don't feel guilty. Enjoy it.
And please hurry because 50% of the married people w/o prenups will end up losing 50% it to the X wife someplace down the road.

Had to throw that in based on about 50% of once married people I know have been or are divorced.

Ok, hiding now.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:47 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My boy will be turning six months old tomorrow. He's my only child (so far) and I love spending every minute I can with him. That even includes reading/writing in RL forum.

However, I also enjoy reading, talking, fixing, and (of course) driving cars, especially Porsches. I took my 11 year-old nephew and my 7 year-old niece out in my 993 for the first time last week. They loved it! They especially enjoyed looking out the glass-top Targa and hearing the roar of the engine.

I just hope my boy grows up to appreciate and enjoy cars like I do. But if he doesn't, it's okay. I'll still love him and be the best dad I can be for him.

It doesn't really matter to me what people think about my cars. I believe that it's not what you toys you own in life that's important and makes you feel good; it's being their for your children, loving them and experiencing their love for you.

Your love for cars and love for parenting do not need be mutually exclusive. They can certainly co-exist and bring much enjoyment in life.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the things you must do as a parent is awaken your child's awareness of life's positive possibilities. You don't want them to grow up thinking life's a burden, a bore, a chore. You don't want them to grow up thinking that a man's life consists of working like a drone until he dies. You teach them about life's possibilities by modelling that behavior, by taking care of your responsibilities and ALSO by enjoying life.

You love your car. You're having fun. You're not hurting anybody. Sounds like good behavior to be modelling for your child to me.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:23 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, my daughter Brinley arrived almost exactly 3 months ago. All of you parents know how busy a new parent is, so I'm sorry for the delay with the announcement and photo.

She's about 1 month old in this picture. Today is my first day of 7 weeks of "man-ternity" leave, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Obviously, my wife's not at all happy about going back to work. The new 993 should be arriving later this month.

Lots of big changes, and all of them good!

Last edited by dcdude; 07-24-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Bokonon
Instructor

same here, bought my previous car (corvette) 3 months before my 1st child was born. Bought the 993 3 months before 2nd child. Figured the backseats made it a family car.
-terry
Old 04-09-2007, 02:49 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by trickydisco
Screw what other people think, and that includes the inlaws.

At the end of the day, if you can say to yourself: "I am doing
a good job w/ my kids" , then there is nothing more to judge.

Enjoy your car, man.
Masterfully stated Trickydisco. I waited 26 years to get my 993, and purchased it a year after my little girl was born. She will always be loved and well taken care of. And today she stands in the garage....points excitedly and says "peessh! peesh!"....she is Daddy's little girl.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought my SC when my kids were aged: 5, 3 and 1. I got the 993 now that they are 14, 11, 9.
NO GUILT whatso ever. all 3 still fit, though not for much longer.

At the time I got the SC, my wife still had her 68 912, so we got the "you have 2 Porsches? " quite a bit. once I explained Lifecycle costs, and the fact that we have kept each of our Porsches for over 10 years, they are actually less expensive to purchase and maintain than buying a new Honda Accord every 4-5 years, people started to understand.

I paid $9.2K for my SC in 97. I sold it earlier this year for $9.8K bought the 993 for $31K. How many cars can you do that with? to me it makes MORE financial sense to buy a Porsche as it will maintain its value.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2 year old daughter and another baby on the way. I was kind of guilty for a while, but then I told myself... Just because I have a kid doesn't mean I can't spend time with my 993. You do have to remember that you will be pretty busy with the new baby so it is more important than ever to set some time aside to spend with the 993 on a REGULAR basis. It just doesn't understand yet that you can share your love and that less time does not mean that you don't love it just as much. In no time the jealousy and guilt will be replaced by a special bond between you and your 993.

Wait... I think I missed the point... ?

My neighbors already thought I was weird. They've only confirmed it over time. As the 4 year old next door says... "Mr. Brian, you're ALWAYS working on your car!!!"

Quick Reply: OT? New parent, new Porsche- overcoming the guilt