TPC Uni-chip and intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:12 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Beers
Mr. Bock,

How is the resonance with the B&B setup on your car. I had an '88 930 with the B&B headers and exhaust system that was almost unbearable between 2500 and 3500 rpm. Made the car quicker but gave me a headache if I drove too long.

Dick,
No resonance at all!!!! just a sweet sound to my ears. At high revs I can hear the high pitch note of the sc. Very nice indeed.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Steve Nagata
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
al fueling.
I think that as long as you can keep the IATs below 130F by the use of a 7th style injector, you may be able to run as lean as 12.5:1 under full throttle.

I would approach with caution.
Would an intercooler also solve this problem of keeping IAT below 130F without the 7th injector?

thanks!
Steve
Old 01-21-2007, 12:03 AM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

This weekend, I was able to sort out my lean AFM condition and also get a set of stock mufflers installed along with my Fabspeed cat bypasses. Since I was apprehensive about the AFM's that I was running with the stock uni-chip setup, I switched to a slightly larger 7th injector (83lb vs. 72lb), re calibrated my Inovate wideband, and now have consistent AFM between 11.3 and 12.0 under WOT. Now that I feel comfortable pushing the car a bit, I confidently say that that uni-chip and 6lb pulley are a huge improvement. I believe that the quoted 40hp at the wheels from the new tuning, more boost, and cat elimination are realistic. Even with a limited slip and active brake differential, the 993 will now spin 285/18 AVS Sports through 1st and 2nd gear. Also, the pull in 3rd and 4th gears is now very similar to the power of my old 400 rwhp Supra turbo. Driveability also seems to be improved with the new setup. Here are a few differences between the split second box and uni-chip that I uncovered during the installation...

The Split second box taps into one of the crank wires and gets a feed from the tach signal at the ECU. It has a 4 bit processor and according to TPC adjustments can only be made every 500 rpm.

The unichip splices into both crank wires and the Mass Air meter wire. Therefore it can manipulate both signals. It also taps into the throttle position wire. It has a 32 bit processor and can be programmed every 50 rpm.

I can also say that the stock mufflers with Fabspeed bypasses is a much better combination for me than the Fabspeeds with FvD mufflers. The FVD mufflers were great on their own but just too loud for the street when combined with cat bypasses, IMHO.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

We cut the pistons down to 9.0:1 compression, ran the 5psi pully, ADDED the TPC air to water intercooler and the intake air temps on a racetrack in the summer (85f day) during testing were 160 after 7 laps at Lime Rock and I pulled the plug on the experiment and decided to not ever try a supercharger on an air cooled 911 engine because I feel that there are too many compromizes that have to be made in order for it to work acceptably.

I will say that I know of 1 shop that has 10 or so TPC supercharger kits installed on various 964 and 993 engines, both the old system and the new system and they have been able to sort the issues out and these cars have been running fine. I refer anyone who is looking to do a supercharger to Automobile Associates. They are the shop I worked with on the MoTeC supercharger project and we both concluded the same thing when the experiement was over.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:17 AM
KASH '95 993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Geoffrey, your AFR's looks pretty good, you will make the most power between 12.2 to about 12.8.

You are not running any risk of knock up to 13.0, proivideing you have timing and IAT under control.
Any thing below 12.0 is too rich, you will make better power retarding than richenimg up below 12.0 with greater knock protection.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:27 AM
revolution993
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

i'm thiking of installing a tpc SC kit on my 96 C4S any problemes i should worry about ???and also my car has over 100k miles.Should i do a full rebuild before installing the SC???
Old 02-20-2007, 07:17 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

revolution993,
I would discuss this with TPC... My guess would be to do a rebuild first and put some miles on before bumping up with the SC. The boost (pun) in power fun is totally awesome!!!!!

Good Luck to ya!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:20 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a quick question. I am looking to buy a SOK supercharger that was used on a 964, he went to a 3.8.

I just bought a 91 964 carrera 2.

I was told to add the UNI-Q as a piggy back system. The system you guys are using from TPC is the custom UNI-Q correct? Also, is it the plug and play? or the hard wire. My understanding is that it needs to be hard wired in.

Ps. The guy that is doing the instal and tuning is UNI-Q authorized. He said they can dyno tune the car in about 3 hours. And needs to custom map it. Is this correct?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by revolution993
i'm thiking of installing a tpc SC kit on my 96 C4S any problemes i should worry about ???and also my car has over 100k miles.Should i do a full rebuild before installing the SC???
I totally agree with Mr. Bock. I did my install with about 40K on the clock. Given the expense of a total rebuild and the SC with intercooler I might be inclined to sell your present car and consider buying a TT. YMMV.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:47 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Calling all supercharged cars....can I get some help over here?

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...4&goto=newpost

Quick Reply: TPC Uni-chip and intercooler